WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Your Favorite Passages

Old 01-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67
Default Your Favorite Passages

Different to a quote, I'm wondering what opening passages or favorite part of a book or short story (that's not your own) .

I just picked up a compilation of shorties from Edgar A. Poe and loved this opening to "The Business Man":

Method is the soul of business
- Old Saying

I am a business man. I am a methodical man. Method is the thing, after all. But there are no people I more heartily despise than your eccentric fools who prate about method understanding it; attending strictly to its letter, and violating its spirit. These fellows are always doing the most out-of-the-way things in what they call an orderly manner. Now here, I conceive, is a positive paradox. True method appertains to the ordinary and the obvious alone, and cannot be applied to the outre. What definite idea can a body attack to such expressions as "methodical Jack o' Dandy," or "a systematical Will o' the Wisp?"

-- poe

Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,054

Were I his editor, I would have replaced the semicolon with a comma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,054

I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 693

This passage is always vivid to me:

Mexico was a necropolis where the quick and the dead were inextricable linked on opposite sides of the soil, one always aware of the other.
- Hackberry Holland -From House of the Rising Sun, Author David Lee Burke

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Jimm (04-22-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Were I his editor, I would have replaced the semicolon with a comma.

haha! why, i happen to love a well placed semi-colon
music to the land of redundancies
Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,054

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
haha! why, i happen to love a well placed semi-colon
music to the land of redundancies

Because a semi is supposed to separate two independent clauses.

Iím not saying I donít enjoy a good shag, though.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time. It was the early summer of 1945, and we walked through the streets of a Barcelona trapped beneath ashen skies as dawn poured over Rambla de Santa Monica in a wreath of liquid copper.
Carlos Ruiz Zafůn, The Shadow of the Wind, one of my all-time favorites. Ever since I have read his books set in Barcelona I wanted to go there and walk those streets. And some day I will, just need a baby sitter for my dog and some free time.
Beesauce (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

I have yet to finish this short story as I just found it the other day and have it on tab to finish, but that opening struck the funny bone. "Notes from Underground":

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don't consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine, anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it though. Of course I can't explain who it is precisely that I am mortifying in this case by my spite: I am perfectly well aware that I cannot "pay out" the doctors by not consulting them; I know better than any one that by all this I am only injuring myself and no one else. But still, if I don't consult a doctor it is from spite. My liver is bad, well -- let it get worse!

--- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

Because a semi is supposed to separate two independent clauses.

I’m not saying I don’t enjoy a good shag, though.
@ brianpatrick If it's shagging -- then a semi-colon won't slice the cake
need the whole kaboodle to fill the cup
brianpatrick (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,054

@ brianpatrick If it's shagging -- then a semi-colon won't slice the cake
need the whole kaboodle to fill the cup

Proof there might be a God. Who else could have engineered such a perfect system!

Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Proof there might be a God. Who else could have engineered such a perfect system!

I have no idea. But I think the hue is clear
Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

Just read this treat by Zane Grey, from 1915 (opening to: The Rainbow Trail):

I. Red Lake

Shefford halted his tired horse and gazed with slowly realizing eyes.
A league-long slope of sage rolled and billowed down to Red Lake, a dry red basin, denuded and glistening, a hollow in the desert, a lonely and desolate door to the vast, wild, and broken upland beyond.
All day Shefford had plodded onward with the clear horizon-line a thing unattainable; and for days before that he had ridden the wild bare flats and climbed the rocky desert benches. The great colored reaches and steps had led endlessly onward and upward through dim and deceiving distance.
A hundred miles of desert travel, with its mistakes and lessons and intimations, had not prepared him for what he now saw. He beheld what seemed a world that knew only magnitude. Wonder and awe fixed his gaze, and thought remained aloof. Then that dark and unknown northland flung a menace at him. An irresistible call had drawn him to this seamed and peaked border of Arizona, this broken battlemented wilderness of Utah upland; and at first sight they frowned upon him, as if to warn him not to search for what lay hidden beyond the ranges. But Shefford thrilled with both fear and exultation. That was the country which had been described to him. Far across the red valley, far beyond the ragged line of black mesa and yellow range, lay the wild canyon with its haunting secret.

Last edited by Beesauce; 02-13-2018 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 693

Just read this treat by Zane Grey, from 1915 (opening to: The Rainbow Trail):

I. Red Lake

A league-long slope of sage rolled and billowed down to Red Lake, a dry red basin, denuded and glistening, a hollow in the desert, a lonely and desolate door to the vast, wild, and broken upland beyond.
All day Shefford had plodded onward with the clear horizon-line a thing unattainable; and for days before that he had ridden the wild bare flats and climbed the rocky desert benches. The great colored reaches and steps had led endlessly onward and upward through dim and deceiving distance.
A hundred miles of desert travel, with its mistakes and lessons and intimations, had not prepared him for what he now saw. He beheld what seemed a world that knew only magnitude. Wonder and awe fixed his gaze, and thought remained aloof. Then that dark and unknown northland flung a menace at him. An irresistible call had drawn him to this seamed and peaked border of Arizona, this broken battlemented wilderness of Utah upland; and at first sight they frowned upon him, as if to warn him not to search for what lay hidden beyond the ranges. But Shefford thrilled with both fear and exultation. That was the country which had been described to him. Far across the red valley, far beyond the ragged line of black mesa and yellow range, lay the wild canyon with its haunting secret.
Good old Zane Gray - the reason Zanesville Ohio renamed itself?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 693

Job 1 verses 6 and 7

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:09 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,054

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Job 1 verses 6 and 7

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

So... Satan walks the earth with man, just as casually as he pleases?

Is there a deeper meaning?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67
Icon1

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Good old Zane Gray - the reason Zanesville Ohio renamed itself?

Hmm.. I know nothing of Zane Grey's life or if and why he'd change his name, but there's many a reasons peaceful open thinkers would be in strange need of double lives and names.
A bit of info I read more than a year ago while researching the Internet specifically about historical military and espionage abuse, I came across a story about a supermodel who'd become a pigeon, essentially delivering messages while traveling about on her career. She was working for the federal intelligence firms and had agreed in the beginning , but did not know what she was agreeing to.
Unfortunaly I did not save the link to the info and blocked some of the info from memory as sometimes history is painful to accept. I'd have to dig and find the supermodels name, dates.

But, it was during Project Artichoke that this woman was being used. She led a double life, and nobody knew until years after her death why she'd suddenly become enraged and flip in-between these intense moods similar today's bridezilla. However, this emotional switch can be exampled and illustrated in many celebrities of today.
The point being, the supermodel never told her family or even her husband that she had made a deal and was being used, and she suffered internally and it came out as her being "a celebrity bitch" or crazy. Or whatever.

That's one great reason why anyone would want to change or have more than one name. I really wish I wrote her name down, and the thing is, going to look for her is one of those rabbit holes in to bloglandia. I guess I will have to write the textbook later
that's a reason to have a bot.
eh. i sure do love writing

Last edited by Beesauce; 02-14-2018 at 11:14 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe