WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Fellow writers; your attention please.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Redlorry

Mmmm, you don't see Topics many places any more.

"What has a hazelnut in every bite? Pure milk chocolate for your delight"

Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
CandraH

Haha. Lovely.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Mondragon (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I read the article (the original reason for this thread) and it has inspired me to take the path of self-publication. If the publishing houses are still suffering and electronic readers are grabbing a big chunk of the business (I even bought a kindle to store all the research books and documents I have to handle); then DIY looks like the way of the future.

....and the future is unavoidable!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Lin

Beyond the "suffering" aspect, there's this... more and more of the big publishing houses (the last one I saw was Penquin) are discontinuing print books.
Read that again... discontinuing print books. This is like when record companies stopped issuing LP's and then casettes...it's the end of an era.

The new era has different rules and a different road map.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Nadja

Last edited by Nadja; 12-02-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
WRAvery (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

"the most important thing is to write an awesome book. That's the biggest hurdle. Just write an awesome book."

Isn't that the way it has always been? Sure the playing field has changed but the players still play by the same rules. Write a good story and they will come to read it.

WRAvery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Back to the topic at hand...I don't know if the death of the printed physical book is nigh. Or the death of the Publishing house.

For that to really happen, the digital book industry has to change to become more like the digital music industry.

Speaking as someone who is both a writer and a musician, I don't think books are quite at the D.I.Y. place the music industry is in.

Here's why, in my opinion:

First it's a cultural issue...I think that most people still want to be "told" what to read by marketing campaigns that can only be afforded by the rich or the bigger publishers. Or Oprah. Wheras in music lots of people like to discover the "next big thing" by trolling through itunes or what have you. It's trendy to know about a band that no one else knows about. Not so much with books (unless you're an uber geek like me).

Then it's a marketing issue. All D.I.Y. music sites have "similar to" listings that independent artists like me use to get my music out there. I think Amazon does that with books, but do the ebook sites? I don't know. There also isn't the flood of D.I.Y. self publishing sites with linked in Facebook/twitter/etc marketing tools like there is for music. Or if there are those sites, I haven't seen them.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, self publishing my music will not get in the way of me getting signed with an agent or a bigger music label. On the contrary, it can only help these things to happen, because by self publishing and self-promoting I have proven I can make a go in the industry.

Wheras in the publishing industry "first rights" are still getting in the way of allowing that shift to happen. I've been advised more than once not to self publish if I want to be considered by a bigger publisher.

That's a huge issue.

And that's my few cents on the topic.

But I don't think print books are dead yet. I live in one of the most literate and literati-filled nations on the planet, and I think book stores here are getting through the recession. I know the big chain store in town in always bustling, and my favorite new and used bookshop is too.

Plus there's this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...295299738.html

From earlier this year, and this: http://infodocket.com/2011/05/23/aap...sales-numbers/

We aren't quite at Star Trek e-reader level yet. But you might want to hang on to your libraries. Those analog copies of Harry Potter might be worth something to your grandkids.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 870

I don't think anyone seriously forsees the end of the traditional publishers. More like a scaling down of the physical book as the ebook grows in financial viability and expediency of "print."

As for the big publisher ignoring your work should you chose to self pub I think that is ridiculous. Why would they ignore an author that achieves a sucessful track record of self published sales? After all it's all about the money.

Sell enough copies of your work and they will be all over you like a duck on a june bug!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Good point, Gaines. They would have to give your work more merit for sure.

What sticks out to me in this paper book recession are two things.

1. When jobs are on the line at the publishing house it will be much harder to get your book approved for process, especially if your a 'new writer' (with no previous sales) Go Gaines)

2. Love for the novel on parchment, taking time for reading by the fireplace and needing visual stimulation through prose has declined. More people go and buy a suck-ass movie before buying a book.

I am even guilty of the second. I rented the new Conan movie at redbox instead of buying the book. It's eye candy vs brain candy. Takes much less time to watch a movie, but a good book is so much more fulfilling.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Neal Ranzoni (Offline)
Official Member

Icon8 No matter how great your story, it can't compete with Facebook.

Originally Posted by Lagrange View Post
No matter how great your story, it can't compete with Facebook.
I am willing to bet I can compete with Facebook with my book. And I think if you all tried you could also. I am new to writing and from what I see its all doom and gloom. You people should write about what you know best. From what I see its doom and gloom.

I am a fan of not giving up. But looks like I am alone or getting there on this forum.

I will read every forum thread and make my final decision. The good part is watching all you people with Hundreds or even thousands of post here just reminds me had you put all this time on a single subject you could have completed a book by now.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Lin

You're going to compete with FaceBook? At what, amount of readers?
Specify. Also, the amount you are willing to bet.

You post on a thread and tell other people they are lame for posting there? You haven't finished a single friggin' book and are telling us what we should do? I PUBLISHED two books this month. OK. Mike published constantly.

You need to think a little. And you might try doing some listening.

Last edited by Lin; 03-17-2012 at 09:17 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

As of Dec 2011 fb had 845 million users and still growing. Since its decade long inception Harry Potter has sold 325 million copies. When they geared up for the last HP book they printed 12 mil more. Total is: 337 mil...less than half the amount of fb users. Just thought I would toss out a few interesting stats for anyone that cares to Google them up.

As for folks here not having any books completed that is bs. Plenty do and if you check old thread posts you will see that. The hard part is getting pubbed by traditional means which a lot of writers prefer. 'But with the advent of the ebook more are getting their work in print than ever before. It takes time but maybe you'll be the exception to the rule. Sure.

When your first book goes into print and competes with fb for readership let us know. Until then enjoy the forum and get to know folks around here. Many are really really good writers and good folks. As for me I am the forum troll...King Troll to you.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Zodea (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 33

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
As of Dec 2011 fb had 845 million users and still growing. Since its decade long inception Harry Potter has sold 325 million copies. When they geared up for the last HP book they printed 12 mil more. Total is: 337 mil...less than half the amount of fb users. Just thought I would toss out a few interesting stats for anyone that cares to Google them up.
Yes, but a typical face book post has maybe 50 words? I'm sure in words ACTUALLY READ, Harry Potter far, far exceeds Facebook. Users for a free website, no matter how successful, can't be compared to people who purchase a book. Plus I'm willing to be that most of those copies were shared among multiple people. Libraries increase readership even more.

Now back to being productive! NOT!

Soon to be author of The Guardian's Mage

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Lin

You need to rethink your "words actually read" thing a tad. A user doesn't just read one post. He read thousands of posts. Duh.
Not that that has anything to do with whatever the hell you're trying to say.
I do agree with you about the NOT.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Zodea View Post
Yes, but a typical face book post has maybe 50 words? I'm sure in words ACTUALLY READ, Harry Potter far, far exceeds Facebook. Users for a free website, no matter how successful, can't be compared to people who purchase a book. Plus I'm willing to be that most of those copies were shared among multiple people. Libraries increase readership even more.

Reading is reading. When someone is reading FB they are not reading a book, but they are still reading topical (often fictional I suspect) material. Also, I know of and follow plenty of blogs via FB. You can't publish a blog in a book, but it is still a publication.

However, taking all that into consideration, I am more chuffed with myself when I get a story published than when I share my thoughts in my FB staus. "I had Cheerios for breakfast! Lol"
Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post

"I had Cheerios for breakfast! Lol"

Big deal, I had a bowl of beer with Corn Flakes in it! BTW for severe "chuffing" apply a topical ointment to the chuffed area and let air dry.

Last edited by Gaines; 03-19-2012 at 04:59 AM..
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
BTW for severe "chuffing" apply a topical ointment to the chuffed area and let air dry.
I don't think I will be severely chuffed until the book is published. But since you and I both know that won't be long I'll be sure to buy some ointment in advance. Will you need any? I get a discount for bulk buying!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Mondragon View Post
I read the article (the original reason for this thread) and it has inspired me to take the path of self-publication. If the publishing houses are still suffering and electronic readers are grabbing a big chunk of the business (I even bought a kindle to store all the research books and documents I have to handle); then DIY looks like the way of the future.

....and the future is unavoidable!
Yep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,892

("...me I like forumland myself, since it's readers are growing and because authors like yourselves are here too, where for example if I liked Lin's book after reading it, how would I go in search of him, why I'd google his username of course and find this forum straight off, moreover, upon coming here I'd then see Anya fab posts on that edit thread wondering if her blog was that good too, or perhaps I'd settle for her books next, etc., ..." mused the goblin who simply understood that here was not the writer's workshop, even if one was welcome to use for that purpose still, no clearly all this was one on one with readers now, each post that one did was one's ambassador to one's works, whereupon the goblin simply asked "...you tell me then, would you expect to see a discrepancy between a good author's posts and his works, and how have you used this forum to advance yourself towards your readers here, what do those readers know about your talent, your insights, your fluidity of narration, your imagination, in short, what have you done that you feel singles you out for readworthyness on writersbeat...", where the goblin had no actual fame and fortune type interest in this matter, after all he was anonymous and would ever remain so now, saying "...writersbeat was a writer's forum, my goal is to turn it into a reader's forum with amazing writers upon it, what say you humans, there's no rush but let's give those readers here stuff that only real authors like yourselves can give them now...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 03-20-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Keith (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2
Default Good quality arguments!

I have read the entire thread! I agree with some that an. E-book is a good thing?
However Paper will always cover rock? You can recycle a paper book,there is difficulty in recycling plastics and various electronic components. Yes you can take a, Kindle or an, E-book with you also an, Iphone can display a book! But drop your technology? Or have it stolen then you have to again "pay" for the privelage of finishing your storybook! Paper books will not die out! Paper books also have a resale value? Yes they clutter up the home, but. I would rather have a colourful bookshelf on one wall. Than a little electronic device that breaks at the slightest touch. Or is damaged at the slightest bit of rainfall. I have friends who will download films from the net. Then go and watch it on the big screen! Because it is worth watching properly. I like to sit in a hot bath with a good book. Electronics dont like water!
"Sorry for any spelling mistakes? I like mysteries! So you can correct my mistakes and I will learn not to make them"..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Lin

Paper books have a resale value? Well, technically, I guess. So do empty beer cans and used toilet paper. But let's say you resell your $19.95 book for 35 cents. You're pretty sure that's better than buying a book for $1.99 or getting it free?

eReaders hardly "break down a slightest touch". Try to think of your TV and music player. How are they doing? Tempted to toss them out and just have live music?

You can read ereaders in the bath. Just don't drop the damned thing. Paper books don't much like being dropped in a bathtub full of water and effluvia, either. And you can read the Kindle with one hand.

You didn't mention the wonderful smell of acid-treated wood pulp, the joy of turning pages, the thrill of having your home decorated with heavy, mildewable objects that have to be moved.
If you're trying to compile a list of mindless print book apologies, you should do more research. That stuff is all over the web. Well, it was a few years ago. Most people have gotten over it by now.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
K. Klein (06-05-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
tinkerbell (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Originally Posted by Neal Ranzoni View Post
I am willing to bet I can compete with Facebook with my book. And I think if you all tried you could also. I am new to writing and from what I see its all doom and gloom. You people should write about what you know best. From what I see its doom and gloom.

I am a fan of not giving up. But looks like I am alone or getting there on this forum.

I will read every forum thread and make my final decision. The good part is watching all you people with Hundreds or even thousands of post here just reminds me had you put all this time on a single subject you could have completed a book by now.
My number of posts on here has nothing to do with my unproductivity!

I've learned a great deal by spending quality time here at the Beat, so quit your bitchin'. And I happen to love me some doom-n-gloom...
Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I am new to writing and from what I see its all doom and gloom. You people should write about what you know best. From what I see its doom and gloom.
And redundancies, redundancies.

What is he talking about now? *scratches head*

I will read every forum thread and make my final decision.
I wonder if that's happened yet.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

I think it happened, he's not been seen lately. Or he gave up, there's so much to read, so much it bedazzled him.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Lin

Maybe his final decision was a FINAL decision.
All that gloom got to him?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

He's busy with page two of his query letter. After that he will begin writing his masterpeice.
kennyc (09-02-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Lin

In other news, Milt Romney wins the Olympics.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM
oranges (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default thanks

Thank you for the info
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
chrisv (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I have met plenty of e-book devotees, so my hunch is that thar plenty more where they came from. I personally LOVE audio books. We are in Barcelona at the moment on a family vacation and we listed to an audio book on pirates. On the way home we have a different one. So, for all the hoopla about e-books, I think ultimately it is better for everyone. Eventually legislation will catch up to the new ways to access information. The huge thing now on all USA university campuses is online learning. I love paperback books and love to read. I don't think the genie is going to go back into the bottle on this one. For me personally I have never read an e-book and people who do kinda look down on people like me who don't. Like we don't know how to text message either. Makes me feel sorta inadequate that I am clinging to my paperbacks.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board