WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Thomas Dimitri Eaton

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden
Default Thomas Dimitri Eaton

Urm, hello everyone. I guess I don't really know what to say when I introduce myself, as I don't have to do that very often. I'm the King of Laurysion, a beautiful country that neighbours a constantly fighting country called Cyprintheas that threatens my very crown. My Uncle was king before he got overthown in a coup and my entire family, except me, lost their lives. I guess I've got Clan to thank for that, Clan, a woman from Cyprintheas who symbolises everything her savage race stands for, but yet she's everything I want. I know I mustn't talk like that as I am a married man, though not a happily married one. *sigh* If only I had told her before she left.
I don't know what it is you want to know about me, my country or her, so I'm afraid that this post is rather short, but fire away, as they say, and I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Hi Thomas,

You are a king, does your society not allow such a powerful man to have more than one woman? Did you loose anyone special? What do you want from life? How many weapons are in your closet?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

My society does not believe it's right to have more than one woman, though the society in the country that borders mine does. The dictator there has eleven wives, though it will become thirteen tomorrow because he is marrying twins. Yes, I lost one person very dear to me, and of all people, I lost her to that horrid dictator. She was his first wife. Clan left me to return to her homeland, and I miss her very much. I love her, you see, though no one can ever know, because we come from two very different places, and although I want it more than anything, I know these two places will not live harmoniously enough to allow us to be together.
From life, I want an easy reign, I want my people to respect me and I want peace across both my lands and that of Cyprintheas, because wars have raged there uninterrupted for more than 200 years. Though I think I only care about peace there because it's what she wanted the most.
I have many weapons in the armory at the back of my palace, and although I am trained in sword-fighting and keep one under my bed, I have never needed them, for I have more than fifty soldiers protecting me in this one building alone, and my kingdom is comparatively small to some of the great kingdoms I have heard about.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
that_guy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Do you know who planned the coup to begin with?

I doubt bringing piece to Cyprintheas is currently in your goal unless you can bring their military under your control
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I do not know precisely who planned the coup. It started when my Uncle increased the taxes people were to pay so that he could build defences along the High-back Mountains between Laurysion and Cyprintheas. People started talking, and before too long, a massive group of people came to seize power, and replace it with a democracy. The democracy was unsuccessful, so before long I became King again.
I would like peace in Cyprintheas whether I have control over the people there or not. I think that, as a country, if peace is achieved we can work with them, by sharing our food and knowledge. The people there live in tribes, so whilst it would be difficult for me to obtain control over them, I would like to. I understand that this is not sensible, however, as I do not understand their ways of life. I think that either I bring peace there, for it will reduce the fear of attack here, and leave the country to live as it did before the battles, or I allow my friend Clan to lead, for she understands the people there fare better than I could, and she is well respected there, as she earned her tribal tattoos in the trials she faced at a much younger age than most.
You know you want to -
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 AM
that_guy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

If they are a tribal faction, would the Clan's tribe be able to work with your armies to secure a buffer zone along the boarder?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Her tribe is long gone, for they were very small to begin with, with only one hundred and fifty people. She lived on an island in the middle of a lake with her people. The Island, she says, was called Eulada. And if it's the island I think it is, there was a story that reached me in Laurysion about the Eulada Massacre. The islanders were surrounded by another tribe twelve times the size, and they entered the island, rounding up all the island's inhabitants, and taking them to the hut in the middle of the island. They pretended to be at peace, they set alight to the hut, and the tribe burned to death. The border itself isn't inhabitable. A mountain range separates our countries, the tops of which are covered in treacherous snow and ice all year round, and avalanches occur frequently. Crossing is a treacherous thing. My people aren't as good at it as hers are.
You know you want to -
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

You seem... unusually timid for royalty. Is there a reason for this?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

If someone were to write your story after you have died who do you think would gain most from the telling? Children, teenagers, or adults?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Hi Dragon King,
I was never prepared to be King. My Uncle's son was. I'm only King because I was closest in line to the throne when the monarchy was re-established. I lost my family when I was a teenage boy, and I was unable to do anything to stop them because I was so weak. My parents had bought me up to be a thinker, not a doer. At that point, there was nothing I wanted more than to be able to save them, and protect myself. Instead, a younger girl had to save me. Clan. I can't fight, I don't know how to. No one ever let me learn so that I wouldn't go to war and get myself killed.

Hello Enrigo.
I never thought my life story could be considered an inspiration, but I guess, if anything, it's an inspiration for people of the age I was when I lost my family and was forced to get on with it. It showed perseverance, an ability to "grin and bear it" as they say.
You know you want to -
Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

Ah, so you weren't brought up in royal surroundings? What was your childhood like then?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,066

("...subscribed..." went the goblin)
Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Hello again, Dragon King.
I was brought up with a father who enjoyed the high life of being the brother of the king. We held great dinners and masked balls for hundreds of guests. Whilst I was never prepared to be king I was highly educated in political, historical and geographical matters. As a consequence, my childhood was very structured and formal, though I had more time to do what I wanted than my cousin had.
Hi Goblin I'm glad you're interested.
You know you want to -
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

Sounds like an interesting childhood. I would've expected you to a be a little more... authoritative though
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I guess it's not my nature. I do pretend to be when making decisions, but I can't help that I find it difficult.
You know you want to -
Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

Do you have advisers that you rely on?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

My old Nanny used to advise me quite a bit. She was the one that forced me into my unhappy marriage, and talked me out of asking Clan to marry me. When I first took the throne, I had a man who advised me frequently, but when he became sick, I started to make more decisions myself, and I only consulted him about very important things. My country is very small, the population stands at around 96,000.
You know you want to -
Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
maidahl

Hi Thomas. Are you a believer of horoscopes, have you heard of astrology, and what's your regular breakfast food?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I do not believe in horoscopes. I consider them to be a waste of time and highly inaccurate. I have heard of astrology, some people study it here. Some here believe in it, and live by it. The country next to us have a completely different view of the stars to what we have.
I mainly consume a feast of salmon, sweetbreads and grains. Often, ham is served with it, and I often also consume fruit, mainly oranges and bananas. I drink tea or juice made from oranges or apples.
You know you want to -
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
maidahl

Interesting Thomas. I like the sound of sweetbreads in the morning. Do you travel? If so, where have you been?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I've only ever stayed in my country and the islands that surround it. We're too far away from anything to travel there. It would take four weeks by boat to reach anything of significance, and of course that's also very dangerous because of sicknesses and the big sea storms. I haven't even been to the neighbouring country, though I must soon, for I must find her, and ask her to do a grave thing for me.
You know you want to -
Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM
maidahl

Is there anyone you trust with your life? I know you used to rely I your Nanny...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I used to trust her when I was growing up. To be truthful, my parents always taught me to. Then, after the coup, Clan helped my Nanny and I to escape, and I'd say now that I'd easily trust her with my life. My most vivid memory of her that night is of her putting a spear through the chest of someone that was trying to stop us escaping. Cyprintheans are warriors. They're fearless. She's fearless. If it's true what she says about herself, if that neckless of hers is really the tooth of a Great Bear she killed when she was eight years old, I'd be stupid not to trust her.
You know you want to -
Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM
maidahl

Seriously post this story.

Heya Thomas. What music do you listen to?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Dela Eden has asked me to pass a message on to you. "Does it seriously sound that interesting?" She says.

Anyway, I listen to classical music, mostly piano, although occasionally string. We can only listen to live music, so I don't listen to music often as musicians are rare here, and very expensive to pay.
You know you want to -
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
maidahl

Yep Or I wouldn't have spent time interviewing you Thomas.

Tell Dela Eden to make you have a lovechild and a torrid forbidden affair. And someone dies. And they come back to life because they faked dying. And there's an acoustic minuet at the end mourning all the dead civilians.

Oh @thomas: Any kids or affairs or death of faked deaths or minuets in the near future?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I've lost my wife, if that counts as the death, though I know for certain that she doesn't come back to life. Dela Eden told me to tell you that that's already happened in her first novel and second novel. I never cheated on her, though I never loved her because my heart was taken to Cyprintheas the day Clan left. There may however be a minuet at the end, in fact, I think there will be. Oh, and there'll be a punishment for the murder Clan committed that involves her wrestling a bear in an entertainment arena.
You know you want to -

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics