WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

JAMES 'Jimmy bats' Napolino

Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Swbrunet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default JAMES 'Jimmy bats' Napolino

My name is James Napolino. I was born in 1895 in Messina, Sicily. My parents fled from my hometown to America in 1905, settling in Boston. My father was Giacamo, and my mother was Florence. My older brother Al made a name for himself in New York as a rum runner. He shipped to all over the New England area. in 1924, my brother was accepted into the Luciano crime family. I was surprised of the route my brother had taken, but could not judge long. Through my brother, I met many Boston area goons who i later learned were part of the Pennacchia Family, headed by Vincenzo Pennacchia. One of these men, Phil Pignola, offered me a position running one of their illegal bars, or speak-easy, in the North End. I took the offer to support my family (My wife, Anna, and our two sons Frank and Sam). Prohibition was repealed a little over a year ago. Phil's been trying to get me in good with the boss, but I never wanted this life. Until about a month ago...
My brother Al was in Boston on his monthly trip, to collect some envelopes and check on New York's interests in the city. At my newly opened restaurant, where i operate a card racket with Phil, Al was shot dead by a sore loser. A real sore loser. The police won't help me. Even Todd, a neighbour of mine who is an officer, says the department doesn't look too deep into known gang murders. They would rather these guys kill each other off. My brother was a good man, and loved his family. I've got the killer's location from Phil. What I do next will determine the rest of my life....

Last edited by Swbrunet; 04-14-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 AM
KtConig (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Hello James.
What is it exactly that you plan to do? Does Anna know about this?

Check out my writers blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Swbrunet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

My brother, Al, was a caporegime of the Luciano family in New York. He paid for my son, Frank`s, medical bills. My father and mother live with him in the Bronx, they moved down when my mother became ill, so Al could care for her. Basically, my brother Al Napolino, regardless of his work, was the foundation of my family. My associate in the card games, Phil Pignola, has been trying to get me to make my bones for the Pennacchia crew.I don`t make much from the restaurant, or the racket. Not enough to take care of Frank and my parents, who are on their way to Boston now that Al`s gone.
The police have closed the case, technically. They are prejudice to `connected` men. Seems I can clear my mind of these suicidal thoughts...by exacting revenge. At the same time, I will not stand by and watch my son in pain and without help. My brother`s killer must die, and I must join the Boston crew to be able to survive and take care of my family.
My dear wife, Anna, knew of my brother`s connections.She does not, at this moment, know of my intentions. She will, however, once I make my decision.

Last edited by Swbrunet; 04-16-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM
KtConig (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

You seem to be in a very difficult position indeed. And clearly, the cops always have better things to do than worry about a dead gangster, that's the justice system for ya.
How do you think your family will react to you decision?

Check out my writers blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Swbrunet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

In time, my children may find out. Perhaps they will never know. This is all up to chance, and how it unfolds. My parents will understand, they knew all about what my brother did for a living. During prohibition, I ran the speak-easy. Anna knew who owned it, and who I answered to. She never seemed to mind. In fact, Victoria Pignola, Phil's wife, is one of Anna's best friends. Marone! She may know more than I do...

Last edited by Swbrunet; 04-16-2012 at 06:29 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics