WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Samantha Perry

Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Samantha Perry

Hi, My name is Samantha Perry. I am twenty five years old. Over the last year I lost my Parents in a hit and run accident. My firefighter husband was killed in a fire, trying to save a woman that apparently wasn't there and I had a miscarriage. I feel lost and alone with no other family to speak of.

My friend Laurie is taking me out today for my birthday, sort of a fresh start. I cant help but feel to blame for all that has happened. I am the common thread in all of their deaths. Like someone or something was out to hurt me. Maybe it was Karma, although I cant quite figure out if I had done something in my past to warrant this type of revenge.

I had always considered myself to be levelheaded and tenacious but now I fell timid and scared all the time.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 PM
that_guy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Well Samantha, lets look at this logically. You wonder if some one is out to get you

well your parents being killed in a hit and run could be murder. So that is 1 for some one out to get you.

Your Husband being killed in a fire trying to save a woman that was not there. That would be a hard one to plan out to make sure it happened correctly

The Miscarriage would most likely be from stress, so that is most likely not the fault of mystery rival.

You are the common thread in all of these things, but if some one stubs their toe, gets a cold, and had a fish die, they are the common thread in those as well.

maybe you should start by compiling a list of all the people you felt you have wronged in your life
The Following User Says Thank You to that_guy For This Useful Post:
law2866 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

You are correct, maybe I am trying to make too much of something that really isnt there. I really cant think of anyone that I may have wronged in my life. I was actually quite normal, normal childhood, normal college life. normal marriage. I dont know of anyone that I could have wronged.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Marshin (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 34

How did the fire start? Did someone start it? Is it possible that someone started the fire, told your husband someone was in there, and then left, leaving your husband to die?
The Following User Says Thank You to Marshin For This Useful Post:
law2866 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

What are you doing for your birthday? Are you frightened that something will happen during the night?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
The Following User Says Thank You to Loz For This Useful Post:
law2866 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

No my husband and his partner saw someone in the window. They both went in for the rescue my husband went upstairs and then the ceiling collapsed. His partner was taken out and barely survived. During the investigation, the fire was arson but the only remains they found were that of my husbands. It was a condominium fire and this was a vacant unit. No one knew who the woman was, found out anything about her, nor have they found the arsonist.

I cant really say that all of these events are targeted they truly are accidents. I am however the type of persons that needs answers, I need things tidied up and these questions are looming.

I guess I am mostly afraid that I have no family left and not sure where I am supposed to go from here.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Just a side note from me (not Samantha) I am so very new to this and to writing bear with me if I am doing this incorrectly. Believe it or not the comments here have already helped. I am trying to answer without giving the story away as that is how my character is in the book. I dont know what is about to happen so forgive me if I seem vague. I am learning. Thank you to anyone willing to help. (okay back to Samantha)
Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

You are doing fine
So tell me a little about your friend Laurie. How long have you known her? If you were to guess without knowing, how do you think she will try to help you through this? What I mean is, is she the type that will be more consoling or is she the type that is going to try to get you to find a focus, or is she the type that will try and help you find a distraction?
The Following User Says Thank You to Enrigo For This Useful Post:
law2866 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Laurie is a crazy nut case. We met our first year in College, she was my roommate and we have been stuck like glue ever since. I had always been the take on the world type and she was the dance through life type. But we clicked. I moved with her after we graduated, my husband Michael was actually her high school boyfriend.

She has definitely been a driving force behind getting me moving again. She will be the one to help me find my focus.

***Side Note*** how much of my story do I actually go into, believe it or not you guys have already helped I am just a little scared to share too much, I dont know what is acceptable.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

*** As much as you feel is necessary to get a really good feel for your characters. Think in terms of where your characters are at either before or at the beginning of the story and what they would know at that point, their relationships with other people, their overall outlook both past and present, what are the things that are important to them. Once you have that figured out it should help in telling you how they will react to whatever situations you throw at them throughout the story. And always try to answer in the voice of the character that you are working on.****

So did Laurie introduce you to Michael and did she set you two up thinking you guys would make a good match, or if not, then how did you and Michael meet? Has it ever bothered you to know you married your good friends exboyfriend? You obviously loved Michael but if you could name one thing that he would do that irked you to death what would it be?
law2866 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

***Thank you for that***

Laurie Introduced us.. No they figured out fairly quickly that they were better as friends. What did I not like about Michael. his family. They had a we are better than everyone attitude, they never felt that Michael's choice of profession was good enough nor that I was good enough (although our family never lacked for money, my Dad made quite a bit of money in Real Estate and all of it was left to me when they died, along with a very large life insurance policy. So while I have a degree in psychology, I have never had to work.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

I realized that I didn't answer a question asked earlier. What am I doing for my birthday? I started finally at Laurie's urging going through some of Michael's things. His family had taken things that they wanted to keep, his grandmother's wedding rings, photos, yearbooks. I had to go through what was left. I never realized how much power "things" held. I started last night and Laurie agreed to help me today, but only for a little while. She had a whole day planned. Mani/pedi, massage,and a total makeover is what she described, shopping and dinner then a walk on the boardwalk. Myrtle Beach is about an hour and a half away from us so that is where we will spend the day.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

I find it interesting that you didn't exactly answer my question about what irked you about Michael. It could have been anything from drinking from the milk container to failing to put the toilet seat down and yet you mentioned his family. Why do you think that is? I know he recently died and some people feel it is not good to talk in the negative of someone who has just passed. Are you one of those?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

I think perhaps because we had been together for such a short time and I was completely in love I don't really know. He did miss the hamper quite a bit but I wouldn't really call that irksome. He wasn't a heavy drinker he even rolled the toothpaste roll right. Maybe we argued over the direction the toilet paper should roll off the holder I liked it over and he liked it under. The only thing I can think of is his reckless behavior at work. He always put everyone else's safety before his. He truly was almost perfect
Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Okay Samantha is turning out a little boring. (this is me talking)

What if I told you I have a magic power that I dont know I have and I dont know what it is yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

**Me thinks you be highly underestimating your girl here. She is definitely not boring.She is fairly nuetral at the beginning of your story but the wonderful thing about that is that it gives her so much room to rise above or fall or both and you are in total control of the events she will face. Let her find the way to face these events in her own voice. You may think she is pefect and boring and she may even think she is perfect and boring but guess what, she isn't. She may think Michael was perfect but the same goes for him also. And you have created a wonderful vehicle to explore that relationship since Laurie and Sam both dated Michael. Just listen to their conversations. And then there is Laurie and Sam, 2 friends who seem so different and yet they are close. Why is that do you think? Let them talk to each other and you just listen in. But don't expect them to be all that forthcoming at first. Pretty soon they won't even notice you are there and that is when you get all the good stuff. And the magic will definitely add a lot of possibilities. Just kick back and enjoy the process.***
law2866 (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 AM
law2866 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

Thank you for that. It is the first time that I actually felt good about what I am attempting to do (oh, this is me not Sam) It is a little difficult as I am trying not to give too much of the plot away. I have never tried writing anything so you gave me a little hope in what has been to me an almost traumatic task. Thank you***

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics