WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Summer is for Words

Old 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121
Send a message via Skype™ to pswgear
Default Summer is for Words

There are things to say and ways to say them. But there's also when. And when is the most important part of saying anything. Not that it's more important that the thing you want to say. Yet without timing, what's the point of saying?

Fall is an inopportune season for beginning anything. And beginnings can't be begun without words. Best to just hunker down and coast along without upsetting the balance that brought you this far.

Winter is just a terrible season for talking at all. Wrap yourself up in a blanket whenever possible, stare into a fire and drink. Drinking is the best replacement for talking in dark, dreary months.

Spring is, in fact, the most opportune season for beginning. However, there is so much to be done during Spring that words, more often than not, lay forgotten by the wayside. Best to just leave them be safely tucked away rather than flung about, the victim of sudden distraction. Spring is rife with such distraction.

Summer, then, is the season for words. The action of Spring lay behind you and the pallor of Winter too far ahead to bother you. And Fall is just a bump along the road that should never worry a soul.

Summer is to words on the tip of your tongue as a hug is to an overdue reunion of far-flung friends. Words need breath and space in which to move and grow before breaking ground. And silence to be heard.

Space and silence are Summer. Space is given by heavy bodies come to rest in the midst of sweltering heat. And silence is the devotion of Summer where meaningless dialogue and the unnecessary rush give way to the sway of fans and the buzz of Junebugs.

Summer is the moment just before speaking. Summer is attention is gladly given. Summer is a rapt audience.

So give thought to your words and then give them voice. You have had Fall to compose, Winter to edit and Spring to revise. Now is the moment, Summer the time, to speak. They will listen. We will listen in the midst of ice clinking in sweating glasses and the rustle of far too many clothes for far too warm a day.

Speak.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

very well put, when I saw you were from Germany I wasn't expecting this to be so American, maybe you are just stationed at Stuttgart

it was a good read and I only noticed a couple of problem

Best to just leave them be safely tucked

don't know which way is best but either - Best to just let them be safely tucked or Best to leave them safely tucked -- your call.

I really liked this sentence although I think it needs a verb

You have had Fall to compose, Winter to edit and Spring to revise. Now is the moment, Summer (is) the time, to speak.

Max
pswgear (03-17-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

For this sentence: "You have had Fall to compose, Winter to edit and Spring to revise. Now is the moment, Summer the time, to speak."

So when I wrote that sentence, I originally had the verb in there. But when I ran through edits, I took it out to achieve a staccato rhythm. But do you think it doesn't work?

Oh, and I'm in Germany while my partner does a 2 year stint at a university.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

sorry in my opinion you need the verb or to restructure the sentence.

You have had Fall to compose, Winter to edit and Spring to revise. Now is the moment, Summer (is) the time, to speak.

You have had Fall to compose, Winter to edit, Spring to revise, but now it's Summer, time to speak.

You have had Fall to compose, Winter to edit and Spring to revise. Now is the moment, Summer, time to speak.

but it's your story and you should do what you want; because you will never be able to satisfy all your critics. always keep that in mind or you will go nuts; because one person says this and another says it was better before.

don't go nuts - do it your way after you have evaluated any advise you may get.

Max
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 PM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121

But of course. However, I did ask for your opinion. So, many thanks. Truly do appreciate it.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing