WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Teens and car insurance: Who should pay?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 PM
puresnow (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Teens and car insurance: Who should pay?

Most accidents occur to teens drivers and therefore the teens should pay for the car insurance. Why should parents have to pay for the insurance of their teens when it is the responsiblity of their teens?

In many situations, a teen who has a car has many friends who don't have a car. and these friends are like leeches. The teen becomes an unpaid chauffer of these friends and they pressurize him to take them to parties and other places he may not like to. While some of these friends chip in to pay the fuel when they go to the gas station, many don't. They assume that everthing is free, and the insurance premium remain hidden. At all times of the day, they call or text the driver to take them to a function. The teen driver is in a dilema of whether to reject them or go even if he doesn't wish to go.

When a teen is behind the wheel, he should realize that he not only has a financial responsibility but a social one. As a teen with a new drivers license, there is the thrill of driving fast, the desire to impress his passengers of what a good driver he is, and even succumb to the urges of his friends to drink under the influence of alcohol. What price is that when he is involved in an accident. A life might be lost, he or his victims might be maimed. Friendship will be lost.

Perhaps the high premium rate, and the lost of no claims bonus coming out of the teen's pocket will be a deterrence to reckless driving. Then each time the teen goes behind the wheel, he will be reminded of the "kaching kaching" of the cash register of the insurance will ring louder in his ears when the money is coming out of his pocket, and not easy money of his mum and dad.

Yes, a teen will have to take a part time job to pay for his insurance. But he will appreciate it more than if the money is just an easy handout from mum and dad. He will be a more environmentally friendly person when he thinks twice if he needs to take the car if he was going just down the block. He will also be a healthier person if he walks rather than just taking the car and thus limiting the risk of an accident. The teen will grow up and ne a more responsible person when he knows he has to pay for his insurance and his parents will not bale him out of any accident he is involved.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:35 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

i agree... and i put my kids' money where my mouth was, way back when... my kids did have to pay their own insurance... and their own gas and maintenance... there didn't seem to be any logical alternative to me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

If only it worked like that, but to many teens drive recklessly regardless if they have to pay or not, and too many more get there insurance and so on paid for.

They should have something that stops a teen from driving too many people, or late at night. A limit of one passenger unless they are accompanied by an adult who has had a license for at least three years, or was over a certain age, and or have a curfew for when teens can drive unless there is a adult (as above) in the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
puresnow (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Tau Worlock View Post
If only it worked like that, but to many teens drive recklessly regardless if they have to pay or not, and too many more get there insurance and so on paid for.

They should have something that stops a teen from driving too many people, or late at night. A limit of one passenger unless they are accompanied by an adult who has had a license for at least three years, or was over a certain age, and or have a curfew for when teens can drive unless there is a adult (as above) in the car.
Hi Tau,

In New Zealand, we have different tiers system. After a person passes his practical driving test, he gets a restricted licence.

Restricted licence conditions
You can drive on your own, but not between 10 pm and 5 am. Between these times you must have a supervisor in the front passenger seat who holds a full New Zealand car licence, and has held this for at least two years.
You must not ride a moped between 10 pm and 5 am.
If you sat the test in an automatic vehicle, your licence will say that you can only drive automatic vehicles (unless accompanied by a supervisor).
You must not carry passengers unless you have a supervisor with you

Full licence

You can apply for a full driver licence after 18 months on your restricted licence if you're under 25 years old, or after six months on your restricted licence if you're 25 or older.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/45.html#restricted

This appears very good on paper. It is hard to police though. Many teens drive their friends once they pass their exams. Many are killed, and taking their friends with them.

Puresnow
Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

The problem with most of those suggestions, Tau, is that they would require fairly invasive techniques to enforce. Police would have to randomly stop motorists to check licenses and ages, and whether all the regulations were being followed. It would be an administrative nightmare.

I think Puresnow is right. Hitting teens in the pocket would bring home the seriousness of the privilege of driving a car; and I say privilege because so many young people nowadays assume that it is their right to have a car as soon as they are old enough for driving lessons.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Pepper (Offline)
I Am My Own Master

Thanks 4

Here's the issue: Some people are idiots. It's not a matter of all teenagers being idiots or only teenagers being idiots. The issue is that a certain percentage of the populace has a natural imbalance of adrenaline and dopamine in their system and they require "risk" to balance them out. Unfortunately, this often manifests itself in reckless driving.

The solution does not lie in a teenagers fiscal investment within his vehicle. Instead, teenagers must be provided with better releases. "Structured" risks. Sadly, we live in a day and age when children are considered helpless and fragile, making any risk a child would take wholly more "risky." In comparison driving recklessly becomes rather "secure" as the penalties are clear and simple.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Cuchulain (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Cuchulain

It's impossible for a teen to afford car insurance and pay for school and do a number of other things. Some people have it tougher then others.
WORD FROM VAL:
Most kids who don't come from a wealthy family are forced to take out loans for school. Working and going to school full time is difficult and time consuming. I believe if a parent does pay for car insurance or some of it, it is not a bad thing. They would be helping their child out. Having a car can be great for a young person so they can get a better job and learn to be responsible.

Getting a better job is very important when you are young and trying to pay your own car insurance because many places wont give more than minimum wage. It is also the parents job to teach responsibility with owning a car. Whether or not they are paying car insurance doesn't change the way young people drive. They drive wreck-less because they think it's cool and they want to impress their friends for whatever reason. Underage drinking is a huge problem in this country. Most car accidents and car crashes are caused by young people from ages 17-24. Its a known fact. This country is thinking about raising the age in determining when you are allowed to get your license. I do not think all this matters. Two years later will not affect how a person drives. We need to have mandatory classes to young people getting their license. How else are we going to teach them the importance of owning and operating a car if their parents are not doing a good job at it?

I know from experience how important it is to be safe on the road because one of my BEST friends was killed from wreck-less drivers. My brother nearly lost four friends as well from drunk driving. It doesn't matter what age you are when you start, it is the knowledge, responsibility, and maturity of owning a car in your adult life.

AND A WORD FROM CHRIS:
As a fomer teen and now a young adult, i have been paying for my car insurance from day one. Paying insurance on my own is very difficult and impossible for most teens. i have only been able to pay my car insurance because i can afford it but it is a hard struggle. Most of my fundings is spent on car insurance. I do agree that people should pay there own car insurance but on the other hand i believe that if they get help paying for it that its okay too.

Paying for car insurance teaches responsibility and respect to one self and the vehicle. Many teens are wreck-less and irresponsible when driving. Driving a car enables someone to do something bad like drug dealing and drunk driving. Young adults are also a targets to police because of their age. from experience i have been pulled over searched and followed by detectives. i know that my bad behaviors can risk my freedoms but paying my own car insurance makes me more responsible for my own actions without effecting my parents insurance.

i do agree that teens should pay there own car insurance cause it teaches them responsibility. i also agree that car insurance can be overwhelming and impossible to pay at such young age because employment for teens are minim wage.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Well Qow that is why those are ideas and not reality.

Oh and Cuchulain, pay for school? School is paid for by the governments in the western world, unless it is a private school. So it is free for anybody to get a school education up to university or equivalent, so how is that an issue when considering paying car insurance?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Cuchulain (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Cuchulain

Oh and Cuchulain, pay for school? School is paid for by the governments in the western world, unless it is a private school. So it is free for anybody to get a school education up to university or equivalent, so how is that an issue when considering paying car insurance?
It's not free for college.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Money is a problem, not just for teens, but for adults as well. The sooner young adults learn to take responsibility for their own costs, especially for luxury items, the sooner they will realise how hard their parents work to provide for them - and driving a car is a luxury, not a necessity. Chris made a good point. Maybe young people shouldn't pay the whole thing, but if they contribute towards the cost, it helps to teach responsibility.

As for the idiots who drive recklessly, I'm all for lessons, but I would extend them so that every driver has to retake his test every ten years or so. A lot of bad driving isn't learned at the start, it's laziness and complacency learned over the years. Too many people tend to forget that a car is a lethal weapon when improperly handled.

One last thing, I do believe that insurance companies offer reduced rates for drivers who have taken a defensive driving course. Worth checking out since it can save you money, and might even save your life.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Pepper (Offline)
I Am My Own Master

Thanks 4

Ultimately it seems to me that the problem is only aided by society. Police stations are funded by tickets. Teenagers get ticketed often, always for reckless driving. Tickets aren't a big deal. If rather than fining a driver $100 - a sum most children can earn in the course of two days - they were to suspend their license for three weeks, I am certain reckless driving would decrease.

Sadly, the police do not want reckless driving to decrease. They cannot exist without it. And so penalties are rather minor. It's a passive sort of encouragement.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

Police stations are funded by tickets.
they are?... where?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Pepper (Offline)
I Am My Own Master

Thanks 4

Everywhere. They have quota's like sailsmen. They have to hand out a certain number of tickets. Not entirely funded of course, but they pocket the money you ticket them for. It's in their best interest to hand out tickets.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

i don't think you understand how police departments and ticketing work... the money is not paid to the police station, but to the court... whether any of the funds accruing to such fines go to support the overhead of the police department or not, or how much of it does, is up to the various state/city/community laws and how funding procedures are set up...

that's how it is in the us, anyway... may be different in other countries...

Old 05-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Same here in the UK, maia.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

thought as much, queeniekins... glad to know there are some things done the same way, on both sides of the pond! ;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Quite a lot actually, maia. That's probably why so many people visit back and forth. Different enough, but not so much as to be frightening.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

i've always enjoyed my time on your 'little island'... only thing i found wanting was the food... cooking practices are definitely not the same... close, but no cigar!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Originally Posted by mammamaia View Post
only thing i found wanting was the food... cooking practices are definitely not the same... close, but no cigar!
How so? We use ovens and cookers, pots and pans. And we have some excellent cookshops where one can buy the most marvellous kitchen gadgets. Or are you pulling out that old canard about British food again?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:06 AM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

old canard or not, it's sadly true... at least it still was last time i was there, in 2002...

Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Hmm. I don't know where you ate, but England has many Michelin-starred, native-born chefs, and plenty of unrated ones who create wonders from our fresh local produce. That's not to say that all places serve divine cuisine, but then they don't in America either. Maybe you just made some bad choices when you were here, but I can assure you that there are many pubs and restaurants where the food cannot be faulted, so please don't stereotype us.

(And, um, since a canard is a deliberately false story, it cannot be true - on any level.)

Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

let's not argue over personal taste... i've been to the uk many times and eaten in many places of various 'star' levels below the upper echelon that most can't afford, generally finding the quality of the meal below my personal acceptance level, as compared to eating out in the us... that's my experience, so it can't be a subject for debate...

as for the use of the word canard, it's what you used and i did refer to it inappropriately in my response to it, should have said 'you may consider it a canard, but i don't'...

'nuff said... let's let the thread go back to teens and car insurance...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
jazen (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

Not the case at the moment, as its exam time and so im off the insurance for a few months, but the agreement my parents and I have is insurance wise it's 50 a month for me, and I have to show them proof that this is going into a savings account that I cannot withdraw from till im at university - basically my emergency fund for next year - and they pay the insurance. This teaches me the cost, but means that I have some funds available for next year (otherwise I probably would spend it all) for Petrol costs I have to pay, well it used to be half the bus fair per person travelling, but the parents are considering changing that as its 5 return nearly everywhere around here, I dont have to pay if its just to the other side of town (usually only applicable in the Winter months) or if doing jobs for them (such as taking my brother to evening activities). I use the family car, so the other costs are covered by my parents.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

That sounds like quite a reasonable arrangement. I suspect most parents don't mind footing bills they can afford, especially if they know that their children are learning the value of money, and to be responsible. Sounds like your parents have found a very good system that works well. Well done, all of you!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Tugs (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Growing up, I paid my own insurance and filled the gas tank myself. I think it gave me a good idea of the value of money. I only street raced once or twice

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction