WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

is "me too" becoming trendy?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:36 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,051

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
Could be just good TV. But based on that every crazy would be on TV constantly, KKK members, Satanists, conspiracy theorists and so on.

But no, they're not. This would indicate an agenda then...

There is still a line that can be crossed in prime time, anyway. Satanists, KKK, and conspiracy theorists are still relegated to daytime telly. The stories have to be believable to the wider viewing audience or they donít get clicks or views. and satanists and the KKK are just not.

There is an agenda, a political one. Both sides use their extremes to bash the other side in an irrational and exaggerated manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

You are more or less correct.

Although aspects of radicalism seep into the every day and is especially prominent among young educated impressionables the stats show most people aren't really going for it.

Here in the UK the Fawcett Society which is our 'leading charity campaigning for gender equality and women's rights' conducted a survey which was pretty telling; because they asked the right questions.

Equality between the sexes is pretty much a given:

A significant majority (83%) of the British public support equality of opportunity for women – this included even higher support from men (86%) than women (81%).

Pretty funny that men topped women in this category.

But probably the most salient point is that those who identify as feminist is tiny in comparison -- only 7% of men and women surveyed. *

This is the biggest argument against the idea that feminism is simply about equality between the sexes. If it were then those who believe in equality are also feminists... so why the discrepancy? That's a rhetorical question.

* Survation interviewed 8,165 adults aged 18+ between 30th November – 3rd December 2015.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 693

Is George of the Jungle - aka Brendan Fraser joining #MeToo?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...inment__022318

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 693

Hmm, calls for others accused - not proven, but just accused of sexual harassment or sexual assault to resign - but when the shoe is on the other foot? And thus adds another avenue of failure or burnout for #MeToo

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cristin...t-accusations/

A California state lawmaker at the forefront of the #MeToo movement faces a growing number of sexual misconduct allegations herself. Four former employees filed a formal complaint against Democratic Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia. Another says he was fired after protesting when she suggested playing "spin the bottle."
Garcia has authored numerous bills about sexual assault and consent. She was even recently featured in Time magazine's "Persons of the Year" issue recognizing the #MeToo movement's "silence breakers." But now she is on voluntary leave, as investigators look into claims she groped two men.

As a #MeToo activist, she's called on those accused of harassment to resign immediately Ė but she does not plan to do so herself.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table