WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Us too

Old 03-26-2018, 09:24 AM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 38
Default Us too

They have a point, this Me Too movement. Misogyny and male chauvinism have been around so long that we tend to forget how deeply rooted they are. We’ve institutionalized it, with members of congress paying hush money to the victims of harassment with our tax dollars. The military resists efforts to eradicate rape and abuse in the service. Top executives at respected media outlets have fostered environments offensive to women for decades. This scourge is so persistent that Donald Trump brought out Bill Clinton’s erstwhile victims to counter charges of his own misconduct. And then there’s the horrifying case of Nasir and his enablers. Yes, the Me Too movement has a point and it’s time America listened.

Exposing employers and politicians who harass women is just the first step. Our whole outlook has to adapt. The very first time one of these cretins steps over the line, he needs to be reported. The accuser should be treated with respect, not challenged, and her career shall not be jeopardized. If a company or an organization harbors sexual predators, a system needs to be in place for the government to intervene.

American workers are protected and we have many standards for safe working conditions. We have regulations to ensure we won’t get sick or injured on the job. Shouldn’t women have a safeguard to guarantee that they can go home each day with their dignity intact?

Look, the vast majority of American men would never sexually harass a woman. We’re just not built that way. It takes a certain type of person to act like that, someone who’s stuck in the ethos of the past.

But maybe it’s no longer enough to be on the right side of this issue. Isn’t it time we stand with our sisters, to win them the safe, fair work environment we take for granted, and one that they deserve? It’s not going to be easy, with so many of our leaders mired decades behind the learning curve. But if we raise our voices together, our shout will echo through the ages and it will never fade. So I say, me too.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

The best defence against a man with a bad attitude is a man with a good attitude.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:08 PM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 38

Thanks for reading Pal—
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Legalbeat06 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

nice