WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

is "me too" becoming trendy?

Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,051

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Their mensies are in sync......"prolly"

You spelled menses wrong. This is a writing site. If youíre going to troll here, at least...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

[QUOTE=brianpatrick;741495]You spelled menses wrong. This is a writing site. If you’re going to troll here, at least...

Let me see if I have this right. I never had any dealings with you until I told your significant other that I was not a fan of his music and you suddenly jump in to troll me. Yeah, that's how this began. You initiate the trolling and then call others on it. You suck.

You are so effeminate.

Last edited by Gaines; 02-06-2018 at 02:45 AM..
Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

[QUOTE=anna;741486]nah Gaines ... but come to think of it ... that reminds me of a gurl who prolly does get her kicks from wearing Ďem sweetie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s08JBPwCko

Here is my go to lady for this kinda stuff, she is a breath of fresh air:

https://youtu.be/ymkwdf7XPKc

And for the record, I've been through family court, yes women have power over you believe me. Any notion otherwise is deeply ignorant.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:34 AM
anna (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 88

... that wasnít in doubt man,

Last edited by anna; 06-17-2018 at 02:32 AM..
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 AM
anna (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 88

people hold power over people - that’s the thing, there are some tremendously decent people and I feel for them, it’s so easy to become consumed by personal bitterness when really the effort to my mind is in acknowledging those that consistently do their best to muddle through life respectfully x
Old 02-06-2018, 01:53 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

QUOTE=flyingtart;741465]What men mean when they claim women have power over them is that women dominate their every waking thought. It's like blaming the bar of chocolate for your inability to diet.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=pralina;741463]
So saying that women in general have power over men is bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Which is it?

You ever hear of being under the thumb?

I mean have people really never seen a neutered man, hunched and broken simply carrying out unquestionably whatever his wife demands? Haha OK then.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 171

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post

You ever hear of being under the thumb?

I mean have people really never seen a neutered man, hunched and broken simply carrying out unquestionably whatever his wife demands? Haha OK then.
Speaking from experience, John?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:28 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

I don’t see any point in comparing who has it worse. It makes a mockery of the whole issue.

I think we all can agree that harassment is bad, people use other people, life is bad, bees are dying, and everybody’s oppressed.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:29 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Speaking from experience, John?
Sort of. I was in a very controlling relationship with a very jealous woman so I had to alter my behaviour in extreme ways to avoid conflicts. We had (have) children, we loved each other, I wanted to make it work.

But sure she had a great deal of power over me. It's not an unusual story.

Does that help?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,051

[QUOTE=Gaines;741503]
Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
You spelled menses wrong. This is a writing site. If youíre going to troll here, at least...

Let me see if I have this right. I never had any dealings with you until I told your significant other that I was not a fan of his music and you suddenly jump in to troll me. Yeah, that's how this began. You initiate the trolling and then call others on it. You suck.

You are so effeminate.

Iím not trolling you, just pointing out a fact. Sorry if that hurt your feelings. If women have power over men, does that mean effeminate men do too? Sounds promising for sissies like me, eh?

Iím just goofing around anyway.

Okay, now Iím trolling you a bit. Prolly shouldnít let it get out of hand though. Mohican has his lawman boots and badge on these days again.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:30 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,051

Originally Posted by pralina View Post
I donít see any point in comparing who has it worse. It makes a mockery of the whole issue.

I think we all can agree that harassment is bad, people use other people, life is bad, bees are dying, and everybodyís oppressed.

I donít see the point in comparing who has it worse either.

And, I think we can all agree that harassment is bad, people use other people, life is hard, bees are dying... but I have to draw the line at everybodyís oppressed. I donít think thatís true. I think too many people (in America and Europe, anyway) feel like their problems stem from oppression, but they probably donít.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:32 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 171

Sort of. I was in a very controlling relationship with a very jealous woman so I had to alter my behaviour in extreme ways to avoid conflicts. We had (have) children, we loved each other, I wanted to make it work.

But sure she had a great deal of power over me. It's not an unusual story.

Does that help?
Why would it help me?

Youíre talking about something else entirely. Everyone faces the need to compromise to make a relationship work, but that choice is yours to make. Thatís hardly the same as a patriarchal power structure imposing certain behaviour on you.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Why would it help me?

You’re talking about something else entirely. Everyone faces the need to compromise to make a relationship work, but that choice is yours to make. That’s hardly the same as a patriarchal power structure imposing certain behaviour on you.
Oh I figured you hadn't lived. Or had been under a rock. Or heavily propagandised. Perhaps all three. Something like that.

OK so it's not just compromise. If you are married or have kids there are legal, familial and financial implications which any manipulative woman can use to her advantage. Women have the power to take your kids away, you'll have to pay them for the pleasure, and they are way more likely to get financial aid. There are endless stories of decent men being kept from their kids, and ruined financially fighting bogus claims. When I was in court I met plenty of them because I could only see my kids in a contact centre -- believe me if it can happen to me it can happen, and does happen to anyone. The contact centre isn't for psychos, it's for normal dads.

There is a legal power structure which facilitates this and therefore bolsters women's power over men.

And no there's no point in trying to quantify which sex is better off, which is why the idea of a patriarchy is actually nonsense, sorry. All we have are scenarios in which women have power over men and vice versa.

Last edited by JohnConstantine; 02-06-2018 at 11:06 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 12:02 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 171

Laws have been brought in to try and redress the gender imbalance that exists in society. Far more men cut and run than women, hence the need for legal measures to force them to face up to their responsibilities. It's not that long ago a woman couldn't own property, her children or her own body. So don't try to pretend men are the victims, it don't wash.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:40 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Laws have been brought in to try and redress the gender imbalance that exists in society. Far more men cut and run than women, hence the need for legal measures to force them to face up to their responsibilities. It's not that long ago a woman couldn't own property, her children or her own body. So don't try to pretend men are the victims, it don't wash.
See now we're just back to one up'manship which we could do all day.

What are you defending? Alimony? Child support? Divorce settlements? Prevention from child access? Legal aid bias? All five?

It's would probably help to define what we mean by responsibilities.

In any case the argument that men 'cut and run' and therefore deserve to have their kids taken away, be dragged through court and financially ruined doesn't work. The real measure we have for who breaks up the family is divorce initiation which has been over 70 per cent on the side of women since 1980.

The top basis for divorce isn't what most people think either. It's unreasonable behaviour.

So the argument then goes men deserve to be excluded from.their kids lives, and financially ruined, should his behaviour be deemed unreasonable by women.

And women deserve the kids, the house, the legal aid, half his worth, alimony, child support etc etc etc because... Patriarchy?

OK yeah I know men can't be victims what am I thinking.

As you were.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Couldn't say it better myself: https://youtu.be/5ER1LOarlgg
Old 02-07-2018, 01:53 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

And no there's no point in trying to quantify which sex is better off, which is why the idea of a patriarchy is actually nonsense, sorry. All we have are scenarios in which women have power over men and vice versa.
To think that patriarchy doesn't exist is just simply ignorant. You keep talking about one scenario where men have it worse, what about the rest? I know that women have it easier to keep the kids after a divorce, of course it shouldn't be like that, but it just doesn't measure up.

Show me a society where men are told by women what they should do with their bodies.

Pay inequality, ban on abortion, ban on contraceptives (both of which are aimed at the mother-to-be who is then stuck with a sick or unwanted child), burquas, even the fact that when a woman dares to speak up about something horrible that happened to her because of a man she is either not taken seriously or she's expected to show a proof of that. And even is everyone believes her she's treated like a hero because she spoke up and it is still not that common.

This is exactly why 'me too' happened - to make women not afraid to speak up and to show men that they cannot just do whatever they want and not get punished. And vice versa - feminism is about equality, not making one gender rule over the other. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:07 AM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,367

I don’t see any point in comparing who has it worse. It makes a mockery of the whole issue.

I think we all can agree that harassment is bad, people use other people, life is bad, bees are dying, and everybody’s oppressed.
I was thinking (just yesterday) about how bristling viciously we Americans (no, not all of you Yanks - btf off) are wont to conduct ourselves. Yes, Brits also tend to be feisty (right, some of you wankers are perfect gentle genders).

This is in comparison to other country's natives. No, not every other country.

I've met people from France, Austria, the Philippines, Indonesia, Ireland, Hungary and Poland (to cite a few) that appear more naturally robust and relaxed than my common countrymen.

My point is not to indict but to offer some impressions of what passes for normal over here.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 02-07-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
I was thinking (just yesterday) about how bristling viciously we Americans (no, not all of you Yanks - btf off) are wont to conduct ourselves. Yes, Brits also tend to be feisty (right, some of you wankers are perfect gentle genders).

This is in comparison to other countrie's natives. No, not every other country.

I've met people from France, Austria, the Philippines, Indonesia, Ireland, Hungary and Poland (to cite a few) that appear more naturally robust and relaxed than my common countrymen.

My point is not to indict but to offer some impressions of what passes for normal over here.
I get that there are cultural differences and all that and to be honest I wasn't even going to argue anymore but some things I just can't not react to. As a woman patriarchy affects me personally every day, and when I see someone claim that it doesn't exist or it's not a big deal it just makes me mad.

Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:40 AM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,367

[QUOTE=pralina

patriarchy affects me personally every day, and when I see someone claim that it doesn't exist or it's not a big deal it just makes me mad.

[/QUOTE]

me too

wait up

lest that be misinterpreted allow it to be rephrased as

I also

(man, it can seem like being chased by a pack of ravenous wolves into a minefield)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Ah see now we're just back to your pain is worse than mine, which I think we decided was pointless but OK. Losing your kids doesn't measure up lol aight then.

And like I said what we have in reality are certain scenarios where women have power over men and vice versa. So yeah the overarching pervasive patriarchy is a nonsense in as much as you might say it doesn't coexist with a matriarchy.

If you would concede that a matriarchy exists then we might as well throw the two terms away and start again.

To elucidate. That a minority of men commit sexual violations is not because of some patriarchal structure. The structure dictates that rape, sexual abuse or harassment is illegal and pretty much everyone agrees with this.

The legal framework on this is sound. The overriding opinion on this across genders is sound.

So you don't get to say 'rape happens because... Male dominated society'.

Nope.

Rape happens because of the existence of a minority of dysfunctional men. As a society we are united against it.

See?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,367

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
me too

wait up

lest that be misinterpreted allow it to be rephrased as

I also

(man, it can seem like being chased by a pack of ravenous wolves into a minefield)

while wearin' meat overalls and snow shoes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,051

Part of the problem with the topic this threadís gotten to is I donít think either side of the discussion has a full understanding of the others intentions, and is maybe assuming something about the other or their position thatís probably not true.

Western civilization (Judeo-Christian) is built on a patriarchy(The Muslim religion too, but letís leave them out of it here. Nobody wants to be the victim of Jihad).

And those religious laws(originally) or guidelines are based in part on the natural differences between men and women. The biological, and therefore sometimes psychological differences which in general (it is much more complicated on the individual level, but in aggregate it is mostly true) lead to different preferences, subject in some ways to physical ability, temperament, and willingness to be happy doing a task or a job. This accounts for things like the pay gap in a lot of cases. Sure, there are still some dinosaur companies or individuals who believe donít deserve as much pay as men, but I think they are probably few and far between.

Like John pointed out, we have institutions put in place over decades (and getting better on the whole all the time) that deal with laws and ethics, and most modern companies are concerned about their reputation. This is why when male employees are accused of credible or admitted harassment they are immediately and publicly fired. It doesnít even have to be sexual harassment, itís a host of other things that might reflect badly on a company too. And they should be. It helps the institutions we create work better in most cases.

So, IMO, western civilization was a patriarchal society, but is much much less so today. Because institutions are smarter and more just than individuals. There will always be bad apples.

I also think women should indeed speak up about harassment and other feminist ideals, but feminism (like all movements that become popular, really) has overstepped its bounds in places. Mostly in the social sciences, and with the SJW movement. The idea that women and men are the same is preposterous to me (and almost all biologists or clinical psychologists). I think itís a natural part of expanding causes because, again, there are bad apples on both sides always. And attracting attention to causes always brings some people who take things too far.

I donít see a good reason to create a counter feminist movement though. That will likely end up reactionary and take us one step back in the process. I think we should just let it happen and eventually it will correct itself. It always has.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
pralina (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 424

Hmm... some thoughts about this...

I remember when I was in the dope world, men claimed to control the whole thing. Women weren't allowed any say (supposedly), but I noticed, if a dealer didn't keep his lady happy, his life became a howling hell of no sex, no favors, no friends, public belittlement, and a general lowering of his social standing because his woman was such a bitch.

So he would do anything to keep her happy, which meant doing what she wanted, which meant she was in control.

If there really is a patriarchy, any woman worth her salt has figured out how to capitalize on it, and uses her feminine wiles to make a man who has something she wants think he is going to get something she has.

This has been going on forever. In a way, it negates the whole idea of a patriarchy, and reduces the men who think they actually have the power, without recognizing the extent to which the desire to please women actually dominates their thoughts, to blithering, delusional fools.

Even men who think they dominate women, through the dispersion of money, through the ability to grant favors, for whatever reason -- their lives, their climb through the patriarchy, have been guided or driven by their need to get women to do what they want them to, and women, except under the most extreme circumstances, will not do something without getting something they want or need out of it, so, in essence, even the most powerful among us, when it comes right down to it, are controlled by women's needs, thus destroying the whole idea of patriarchy.

Patriarchy, as described by feminists today is nothing more than a system a particular woman has not been able to manipulate to her chosen ends, and so rises up and declaims as evil.

In reality it does not exist.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:16 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,920

("...two different situations, one of work and one of marriage, where I'm in agreement about women's equality at work, but I worry without siding here that marriage is fast becoming an outdated modal, where not having children or more simply not marrying at all, is increasingly becoming the norm amongst humans since they live in times that are not conducive to the family unit per se..." related the goblin who though married and who had children too couldn't really advise any man to marry at this point)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 171

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post

Patriarchy, as described by feminists today is nothing more than a system a particular woman has not been able to manipulate to her chosen ends, and so rises up and declaims as evil.

The Berlin Wall didn't exist because anyone worth their salt figured out how to climb over it. Sheesh.
pralina (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

The pay gap for roles within the same company, same level, same function, is 0.8 per cent.

Sure if you don't take into account what bloody job you do or where you work it's bigger but that's not exactly scientific. ��

Sorry to keep posting Vids, this one went viral a couple weeks ago because it's a poignant example of one debater heavily propagandised who can't deviate from their doctrine wrestling with a serious and open minded social scientist: https://youtu.be/aMcjxSThD54

Last edited by JohnConstantine; 02-08-2018 at 01:03 AM..
Old 02-08-2018, 01:50 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I donít see a good reason to create a counter feminist movement though. That will likely end up reactionary and take us one step back in the process. I think we should just let it happen and eventually it will correct itself. It always has.

That's what we're doing here in my opinion. Nothing resolves itself without some sort of conversation. But I agree with what you said, and I had said it myself, before, just not as well as you did. Western civilization is built on patriarchy and saying that:

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post

If there really is a patriarchy, any woman worth her salt has figured out how to capitalize on it, and uses her feminine wiles to make a man who has something she wants think he is going to get something she has.

[...]

simply baffles me. You are talking about relationships and couples with their own dynamics. I am talking about the world of business, religion, and basically everything else.

The whole point is that women shouldn't have to try harder and figure out how to capitalize on patriarchy.

Also, this thread was started by a woman and taken over by men, which is funny in its own way.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

That's what we're doing here in my opinion. Nothing resolves itself without some sort of conversation. But I agree with what you said, and I had said it myself, before, just not as well as you did. Western civilization is built on patriarchy and saying that:

simply baffles me. You are talking about relationships and couples with their own dynamics.
So the theory of a patriarchy doesn't include romantic relationships? That would be a huge admission.

I am talking about the world of business, religion, and basically everything else.

The whole point is that women shouldn't have to try harder and figure out how to capitalize on patriarchy.
Everyone has to try hard to make it in business. Start a company, if it fails, it's on you just like everyone else. It's a tough world there's no point in hoping the market becomes friendlier, or 'fair' in the way that people want. Equality of outcome is a fantasy. Sorry.

Religious oppression isn't in my culture. But the cultures where it does exist deserve criticism sure. Word of warning though, plenty of muslim women are more than tired of having to explain that they dress how they want and are not being oppressed.

And besides feminists don't really want to touch religious oppression with a barge pole lest they be deemed prejudice.

[/QUOTE]Also, this thread was started by a woman and taken over by men, which is funny in its own way.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious. Men commenting on a thread started by a woman, who'd have thunk it
Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 171

Everyone has to try hard to make it in business.
How does touching up the intern fit into your business model?
Surely all that time wasted harassing female underlings makes an entrepreneur less effective? Or do you imagine it enhances his expertise?

When confronted with such mind numbing bigotry I realise the achievements of feminism are precious indeed.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table