WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Black Panther

Old 02-15-2018, 03:28 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725
Default Black Panther

Watched it last night.

Pretty cool -- stylistically it is just incredible. We're kind of used to these spectacular CGI ridden visual landscapes so you'd forgive us for becoming jaded with films which rely on this too much. But still... wow! I think what really won me over -- just talk aesthetics here -- was the vision of African architecture should it become as developed, say, as Japan. That I had never seen before and it's really inspirational on that level -- and perfectly plausible in the not too distant future imo.

So I don't think there's much to spoil, it's a Marvel film, it'll follow a certain structure but if you don't want to know anything don't read any further...

I knew this would happen, so I'm not angry but it sparked a question. Here we basically have a fantasy. What if Africans had a civilisation which far surpassed all others technologically? What if it was the guns of the white man which were considered primitive, and African weaponry which was more potent than anyone could imagine? What would happen?

The proposition is essentially that this civilisation would operate in the shadows, would be totally insular, stringent in keeping its ancient traditions, and resistant to any form of dominance or imperialism against other nations.

White people are nowhere to be seen in Wakada, the one who gets in more or less by mistake can hang as long as he keeps his mouth shut, and is referred to as 'coloniser'.

Wakada (this hypothetical civilisation) does threaten to embark on an imperialist mission however only when its throne is taken by an African American who has ties to the nation but wishes to destroy its traditions and use its technological prowess to achieve African dominance on earth.

OK so yeah we're fantasising about the tables being turned here. And they will. But when the baton does change hands, to say, China, do we think any nation will really resist the trappings of power? How does that actually work in a competitive world?

Last edited by JohnConstantine; 02-15-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

It's good black kids have their own superhero now. As adults, though, can't we just be people without all this crap about black, yellow, white, brown, and red.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByjXeilefJs

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table