WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Moving

Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721
Icon4 Moving

Hi everyone!

So, this is just a pre-warning and I'll post up another thread when we have an exact date, but sometime in the near future, WB will be moving. Crowdgather has purchased writers.net, and they want to make WB the new forum there.

Now, before there's any freak-out, it should ONLY be a new web address. There will be little things different (like a new banner), but we have been working very hard with CG to make sure that the forum stays the same.

The writers.net forum that is there now will be archived, and we will be like one of those houses they load up whole and drop in on a new plot of land.

As I said, I don't have an exact date of the move yet . . . the process seems to be that they will first archive the writers.net existing forum and move all their members to become WB members. Then they will move us into the empty spot, and it *should* be all good then.

I'll keep you all updated when I get a better timeline for things!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firefly For This Useful Post:
K. Klein (09-08-2012), Sayble Nox (09-07-2012), thisangel (09-09-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 514

Hmm, keeping Writersbeat as the domain name I hope?

And all these new members suddenly... I kind of like WB being a small forum. It's cosier that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Redlorry

As we understand it, the new membership, which comprises of their old membership isn't that big.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 514

Still, this anti-social grumpy guts doesn't like having to get to know a whole new bunch of people who've also been ousted from their home turf...

It'll be interesting if nothing else.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Redlorry

Don't worry we'll make sure know one gets your special chair or sits in your spot at meal times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
AbdulaOblongata (09-07-2012), K. Klein (09-08-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 514

Haha. Special chair and meal times makes it sound like mine is a high chair.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Darling (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 15

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
Hmm, keeping Writersbeat as the domain name I hope?

And all these new members suddenly... I kind of like WB being a small forum. It's cosier that way.
I get that feeling as well.

One can only hope.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

From what I understand, their current membership is under 70 active users (active from within the last month) and was dropping. I was told that there were some troublesome members there, and a few months back they were purged out--so the ones that remain shouldn't be the troll-y types or anything.

Writersbeat will still be writersbeat--just with a different http. Staff has been working with CG really, really hard to make sure there's as few changes as possible.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Rooster Smith (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 212

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Hi everyone!

So, this is just a pre-warning and I'll post up another thread when we have an exact date, but sometime in the near future, WB will be moving. Crowdgather has purchased writers.net, and they want to make WB the new forum there.

Now, before there's any freak-out, it should ONLY be a new web address. There will be little things different (like a new banner), but we have been working very hard with CG to make sure that the forum stays the same.

The writers.net forum that is there now will be archived, and we will be like one of those houses they load up whole and drop in on a new plot of land.

As I said, I don't have an exact date of the move yet . . . the process seems to be that they will first archive the writers.net existing forum and move all their members to become WB members. Then they will move us into the empty spot, and it *should* be all good then.

My big concern is the visual of the forum. Writers Beat is the best LOOKING FORUM of all the story sharing sites. And the best site of its kind period!

Hope it doesn't change.
Check out my blog:

Last edited by Rooster Smith; 09-07-2012 at 08:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster Smith For This Useful Post:
AbdulaOblongata (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Redlorry

As Firefly said, there's been lots of hard work going on to make sure we keep as much of the look and feel of Writer's Beat as we possibly can.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I don't know about it being the best looking forum, but other forums have more features and functionality -- most of which come with the latest version of the forum software, vBulletin. It looks like this version is way out of date, so maybe they'll upgrade with the move.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 09-09-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

They are doing a vBulletin upgrade (from 3.8 to 4.0), but the site won't be overly upgraded with features/functions. Most of those are the more *distracting* types--chat features, signature/avatar features, etc., and we've always kind of been "against" those things that sidetrack from the writing and general purpose of the forum.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Yes, change is scary. WB is my favorite writing forum. I've tried a few other places but nothing else has ever caught my fancy like this place has. I think new members and growing membership is awesome! But, like others have said, it does make me a little nervous. But that's always the thing with change...nervous and exciting! Yay more writers!!!

src="images/smilies/coffee.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cocoa" class="inlineimg" />
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Let's have a purge! A real witch hunt with stake burnings and dunking stools and all sorts of tortures. Can we bring our pets with us?
Bagit (09-30-2012), Ethan Blake (09-12-2012), K. Klein (09-14-2012), longknife (09-16-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

Are you making fun of my wording?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Rooster Smith (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 212

They are doing a vBulletin upgrade (from 3.8 to 4.0), but the site won't be overly upgraded with features/functions. Most of those are the more *distracting* types--chat features, signature/avatar features, etc., and we've always kind of been "against" those things that sidetrack from the writing and general purpose of the forum.
fantasic, man. I feel the same way about the distracting stuff. Hope it goes well.
Check out my blog:
Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Are you making fun of my wording?

NO! I just want to be sure I can bring my dog and turtle, Rochell.

Congrat to your Vikes on their OT win. AP looked strong. My Steelers can't buy a win in Denver. Big Ben suked.

Last edited by Gaines; 09-12-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

Will the archives and such be left alone? I sometimes go back over my old posts as a personal reference when doing edits; sometimes a comment that I rejected back then suddenly makes sense, so it's a valuable resource for me. Anyways, good to know and thanks for the info. Keep us posted.

I saw no God, nor heard any, in a finite organical perception; but my senses discover'd the infinite in every thing ... I cared not for consequences but wrote." ~William Blake

Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

All the archives should be fine. Nothing like that should be bothered at all--otherwise, we'd have a lot of pissed off members! Lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Parker256 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Hi everyone!

Now, before there's any freak-out, it should ONLY be a new web address. There will be little things different (like a new banner), but we have been working very hard with CG to make sure that the forum stays the same.I

I just went through a similar move with a sports board I run with a couple of buddies. It is a vBulletin board. If I can help, let me know.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

Well . . . I just got word today that apparently we're not moving anymore. The staff and I were so resistant to change, it seems that they must like us a lot Lol -- they're redirecting anyone who goes to the writers.net site to us . . . instead of sending us to writers.net. So aside from a new logo, and perhaps a couple of links to writers.net, there shouldn't be any changes. Yay!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Adrenaline (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 21

Good. I, too, resist change. However, large bills I am completely in favor of. Thanks for the updates.

Adrenaline

Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
M R Mortimer (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

Onwards and upwards huh? So Writers Beat continues to be Writers Beat, which is a good thing! I have so many long absences, I might have walked in one day and been all twilight zone - like, where are my friends? and whats with this abandoned warehouse anyway?

Thanks for this thread keeping us all informed.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Adrenaline (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 21

Originally Posted by M R Mortimer View Post
I have so many long absences, I might have walked in one day and been all twilight zone - like, where are my friends? and whats with this abandoned warehouse anyway?
We should all have donned gorilla masks and greeted you with, "All Hail, General Thade!" just to see if you'd wet yourself.

Adrenaline

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board