WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

second edition

Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105
Icon5 second edition

This subject has come up on another thread recently. I think it would be useful to discuss it here.

Is a second edition merely a slightly improved version (fewer typos, etc), or is it something more?

How much would need to be changed, or remain the same, for it to be a second edition?

Last edited by poirot; 08-02-2015 at 02:18 AM..
Old 08-02-2015, 02:17 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I think a second printing would be improved SPaG, but a second edition would have more substantial changes.

I'm not sure how much I think would have to be changed to consider it a second edition.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

you're leaving out the concept of a revised edition, but to me a second edition is just a second printing, how ever I think they would correct known errors in the original.

max
Old 08-02-2015, 03:58 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

My research indicates that a revised edition may have error corrections made on a piece that didn't really sell in the first place.

It might make a difference if we are discussing a short story (which seems to be much of what folks here write) or a book.

For a book, my research shows :

a second printing is additional copies printed without any changes;

a revised edition is subsantially the same, but with minor corrections, and is used when the original printing did not sell well;

and a second edition has more substantial changes, and / or the first printing sold well.

For example, the Hardy Boys books were originally written in the 1920s, then edited in the 1950s to included what was then modern investigative procedures, such as fingerprinting. I am pretty sure the edition number was incremented with the updated version. If those books were updated again, the edition number could be incremented yet again, for how ever many updates.

Editions other than one are probably more prevalent among non-fiction works than fiction. Usually a fiction book is not changed other than SPaG. The Hardy Boys is the only fiction example I can come up with. I thought it would do as an example hopefully many reading this know.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

I wrote a textbook on writing screenplays. I'm planning to sell Cyber Copies on the Net.

I had planned to change nothing other than adding a second copyright notice for this year.

But this thread had caused me to wonder if I should add a couple of chapters on the changing nature of the entertainment industry. Would this just more work for me, or could it affect sales?

Opinions appreciated.

Have a nice writitng day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

If there is new information which would make your book more saleable and relevant (and, even better, might persuade buyers of the first edition to update) then do it.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing