WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.


Fidel Castro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-29-2016, 01:08 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default Fidel Castro


From vehement obituaries to obituaries of praise, where do you stand on Fidel Castro?

__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,818
Thanks: 347
Thanks 362
Default

I don't really, because I haven't spent enough time looking into it.

But I think if you stay in power for that long, it obviously involves crushing opposition and dissent etc. and all the brutal tactics and oppression that go with that.

So my guess is, he doesn't deserve much in the way of praise, despite whatever good he may have done.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-29-2016)
  #3  
Old 11-29-2016, 02:38 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I don't really, because I haven't spent enough time looking into it.

But I think if you stay in power for that long, it obviously involves crushing opposition and dissent etc. and all the brutal tactics and oppression that go with that.

So my guess is, he doesn't deserve much in the way of praise, despite whatever good he may have done.
Oh yes absolutely he would have been ruthless, but I think the only neutral words I read came from Obama, after reading it, I couldn't quite understand his stance on the matter
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 11-29-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,818
Thanks: 347
Thanks 362
Default

He's just trying to cover his ass.

From the perspective of the "average" Cuban, who knows?

From what little I know, there's no abject poverty, people have just enough to eat, some healthcare and a decent education -- although I'm sure things were better in the Soviet era. And I'm betting there's a political elite, who live a lot better than everyone else.

Maybe the trade-offs in civil liberties and economic freedom etc. have been worth it to most people, although I'm sure they've been subjected to a lot of pro-Castro propaganda.

We're looking at from the outside and from an American, capitalist perspective, so it's really hard to say whether or not the people really feel oppressed.

There seems to be a lot wailing and gnashing of teeth over Castro's passing -- but that could just be what we're seeing.

Last edited by Myers; 11-29-2016 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-29-2016)
  #5  
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 756
Thanks: 121
Thanks 152
Default

I would never stand on Castro, especially now he's dead. That sort of thing can so easily be misunderstood.

But, I was impressed by the standard of healthcare in Cuba, as seen in Michael Moore's Sicko.
__________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-29-2016)
  #6  
Old 11-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,686
Thanks: 1,949
Thanks 1,262
Default

[QUOTE=PickleBottom

where do you stand on Fidel Castro?

[/QUOTE]


Up until recently it was impossible to stand anywhere on him.

That being stated I do not foresee a hop over to the island simply to put my foot down on a place of historical note.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-29-2016)
  #7  
Old 11-29-2016, 04:55 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
He's just trying to cover his ass.

From the perspective of the "average" Cuban, who knows?

From what little I know, there's no abject poverty, people have just enough to eat, some healthcare and a decent education -- although I'm sure things were better in the Soviet era. And I'm betting there's a political elite, who live a lot better than everyone else.

Maybe the trade-offs in civil liberties and economic freedom etc. have been worth it to most people, although I'm sure they've been subjected to a lot of pro-Castro propaganda.

We're looking at from the outside and from an American, capitalist perspective, so it's really hard to say whether or not the people really feel oppressed.

There seems to be a lot wailing and gnashing of teeth over Castro's passing -- but that could just be what we're seeing.
Yeah, that is a major reason it is hard to determine, people on Cuba may not be allowed to express their true feelings and people in the Americans (given the history) may not be able to express their true feelings

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
I would never stand on Castro, especially now he's dead. That sort of thing can so easily be misunderstood.

But, I was impressed by the standard of healthcare in Cuba, as seen in Michael Moore's Sicko.
Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Up until recently it was impossible to stand anywhere on him.

That being stated I do not foresee a hop over to the island simply to put my foot down on a place of historical note.
Ok smarty-bums!
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 330
Thanks 653
Default

He was an evil man who seceded another evil man (Batista).

US response to Cuba turning Commie was understandable in light of the times, but with the help of hindsight it's easy to see a lot of US missteps in dealings with Cuba and Castro.

US boycotts and sanctions have exacerbated the problem, but have done nothing to dislodge the commies or effect change.

As to refugees we got those that had everything to lose and those with nothing to lose but not the "middle".

Is it true that President is sending a bigger contingent to Fidel's memorial than to Margaret Thatcher's services? And if so, what does that say?
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-30-2016)
  #9  
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 AM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 756
Thanks: 121
Thanks 152
Default

One thing I've never understood. If Castro was such a monster, how come the US leased Guantanamo Bay from him?
__________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 330
Thanks 653
Default

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
One thing I've never understood. If Castro was such a monster, how come the US leased Guantanamo Bay from him?
Strategic value.
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 AM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 756
Thanks: 121
Thanks 152
Default

Yes, I get that. But why deal with an evil dictator?
__________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,818
Thanks: 347
Thanks 362
Default

Because we're famous for it. We even install them if we think there's something in it for us. The only requirement is you can't be communist. God bless America.

Last edited by Myers; 11-30-2016 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 330
Thanks 653
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Because we're famous for it. We even install them if we think there's something in it for us. The only requirement is you can't be communist. God bless America.

Wait. Now you're going to tell me that the Shah of Iran did not share 'Murrican values?


Besides, sanctions against Cuba were good for Louisiana sugar cane farmers....
And probably good for US makers of high end cigars...
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Myers (12-01-2016)
  #14  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:39 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 330
Thanks 653
Default

can this be reduced to a meme?

__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-30-2016, 01:57 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
He was an evil man who seceded another evil man (Batista).

US response to Cuba turning Commie was understandable in light of the times, but with the help of hindsight it's easy to see a lot of US missteps in dealings with Cuba and Castro.

US boycotts and sanctions have exacerbated the problem, but have done nothing to dislodge the commies or effect change.

As to refugees we got those that had everything to lose and those with nothing to lose but not the "middle".

Is it true that President is sending a bigger contingent to Fidel's memorial than to Margaret Thatcher's services? And if so, what does that say?
Strategic value?
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,686
Thanks: 1,949
Thanks 1,262
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Strategic value?

Well, for one thing the place ain't on U.S. soil so home rules don't apply to the party guests.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (12-01-2016)
  #17  
Old 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Well, for one thing the place ain't on U.S. soil so home rules don't apply to the party guests.
But a very strategic place, I would have thought at one stage that Hawaii was not part of the US
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,936
Thanks: 362
Thanks 867
Default

Cuba is awesome! Too bad once the polar ice caps melt it will be under water—at least the good parts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 330
Thanks 653
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Cuba is awesome! Too bad once the polar ice caps melt it will be under water—at least the good parts.
or when the next Maunder Minimum occurs (next year, lol) it might have the climate of the MidWest....
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 330
Thanks 653
Default

The "jeep" carrying Fidel's Ashes breaks down during his funeral procession, and soldiers escorting the ashes have to push the jeep....

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/12/0...cuba-communism

__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Captive Nick1Nintendo Fiction 8 05-27-2011 06:00 AM
Captive Nick1Nintendo Fiction 13 02-04-2011 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:51 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.