WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Books You've Started Reading but Can't Finish?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 219
Default Books You've Started Reading but Can't Finish?

I started "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" but can't seem to get into it. The way some of the characters speak is highly annoying to me. I'm sorry but they sound...well, retarded.... I've also tried "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe and "Sense and Sensibility", both of which I put down after a few chapters and never picked them back up. Stowe's portrayal of the negroe slaves made them seem less than intelligent and I couldn't get into Austin's way of writing/storytelling. What books have you found you were unable to finish?

ETA: In Stowe's defense, she wrote this prior to the Civil War and her story reflects the way many people from that time felt about the blacks.

Last edited by donnaf; 08-03-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Redlorry

The Good Fairies of New York, by Martin Millar.

I read his 'Lonely werewolf Girl' and loved it. I love anything about mythical beings. But fairies apparently is a step too far for me. I struggled badly with that book, trying to keep my enthusiasm, but alas no. I was sent to the charity shop.

I hate not finishing books. It feels so defeatest!

Great thread, btw!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Twilight
Eats Shoots and Leaves
Harry Potter (all of them)
Twilight
Wuthering Heights
Little Women
Twilight

(there's more but I think you see the pattern..did I mention Twilight?)
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

some angela carter, all annie proulx, lord of the rings, harry potter (waves at gaines), twilight (waves again), white teeth, some henry james, yada yada. the list is eternal.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
SeeTheMonkey (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 169

Twilight (I think this one might come up a lot).
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - The joke wore thin rather quickly.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM
amsfer9 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The stand. alot of tom clancy stuff gets boring after a while. The dark tower series is also starting to lose me a bit.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Redlorry

I tried reading Lord of the Rings ages 12, finally managed it aged 27, so it sort of counts. Took me 15 years. Once you make it through the first 100 pages it's a breeze.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
RisingSun (06-21-2012)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 AM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
I tried reading Lord of the Rings ages 12, finally managed it aged 27, so it sort of counts. Took me 15 years. Once you make it through the first 100 pages it's a breeze.
I'm on Fellowship of the Ring. It was ok starting out but got better once they met up with Strider/Aragorn. Tolkien added a lot of stuff at the beginning that got me wondering if he tried to publish it today would he succeed or be told to change stuff.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Nadja

I think I managed about ten pages of Tolkein.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Gone with the Wind. Zzzzzzzz. The whole Margaret Mitchel thing and legacy of the book is huge where I live, so I gave it a go. Couldn't take the movie either.

Couldn't get into LOTR either.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Many times I've tried to read:

James Joyce (in general but in particular) Ulyses

WIlliam Gibson - Neuromancer

I'm halfway through Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, plan on going back and starting over as there is definitely something to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Redlorry

Books I've struggled with but refused to quit

James Joyce - The Dubliners. The fact it was short stories was its saving grace

Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway. After reading the story I read the notes, she was inspired by Joyce...

Now there's a frickin' surprise!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

Hm.

I tried to read Pride and Prejudice last summer, but I just couldn't get into it.

One time I tried to read Flowers to Algernon, and I liked the beginning of it, but the further I got into it, the less and less I liked it. I never finished it, unfortunately.

---

Good thread, by the way.

Happy reading!
-WG

if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
MickTheebs (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 65

Moby Dick.

Melville like to ramble on and on. Sometimes a single sentance would stretch for half a page.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Nadja

Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway. After reading the story I read the notes, she was inspired by Joyce...

Now there's a frickin' surprise!
High Modernism... Bundles of fun..not. it wasn't all bad, though.

I never managed to finish anything by George Eliot.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
CandraH

Eh, I read LOTR about twenty times as a teenager. Maybe more. I forget because it was all so long ago. Loved it, and also The Hobbit and The Silmarillion and Tolkien's other collections of short stories and snippets that were variously brought out after his death. I was a shameless Tolkien fan, and probably still am even though I'm way too cynical and grounded in reality to have a hope in hell of enjoying those stories now.

Books I've been unable to finish? Clive Barker's Books of Blood stands out. I just couldnt get into the stories enough to finish all of them. Also Great Expectations. It's the only book of Dickens' I picked up and I just got sick of him taking way too long to say anything. I gave up after about twenty pages, which is a weird thing coming from someone who happily read Tolkien. Maybe it's an age thing?

Right now, I'm in the middle of William S Burroughs' Naked Lunch but had to take a break from it. Not because I cant finish it but because it's incredibly fucked up and intense and I need to take it in small doses. Love it in every other sense though - the way it's written and how the sentences are strung together.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold(?)--not because it was a bad book but because it really bothered me the last time I read it. I had read it once before and for the most part enjoyed it. The second time, it really got to me because I kept thinking how I would feel if it had been one of my girls who had been murdered like that. I ended up tossing it out, it depressed me so much.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM
lateralus (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Probably "Wuthering Heights" too. And "The Deptford Trilogy" by Robertson Davies--great books, just can't seem to get beyond the first one ("Fifth Business"), can't figure out why, might be b/c they don't have much of a plot and are quite long.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Redlorry

Bill Bryson - A History of Nearly Everything.

I forgot about this one. I am a huge Bryson fan. But for me this one lacked his normal humour. And when he pointed out that there were'nt enough star gazers on the planet to cover every potential asteroid route to Earth I got really depressed. I gave it to a friend.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Bill Bryson - A History of Nearly Everything.

I forgot about this one. I am a huge Bryson fan. But for me this one lacked his normal humour. And when he pointed out that there were'nt enough star gazers on the planet to cover every potential asteroid route to Earth I got really depressed. I gave it to a friend.
Oh No! Makes me sad. I love all his books...

-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Nadja

Never got very far with C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I read the Hobbit at 7, and gave up on the second one.
I gave up on Harry Potter 1, but read all the others.
And Tom Sawyer . . . urghh! Read it when I was 8 but I was so tempted to give up! I hated it.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 AM
skyraftwanderer (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by MickTheebs View Post
Moby Dick.

Melville like to ramble on and on. Sometimes a single sentance would stretch for half a page.
It took me about 10 years to read it. Finally cracked it in my second year of university. Beginning of every year I'd start it, get half way through (ish) and just put it down.

When I finally pushed on though it all came together and now I consider it to be one of the best books I have ever read.

Right now theres a copy of Finnegans Wake upstairs with a book mark lodged in the 60's (I think).

Where things are written.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 AM
yahweh (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Many, many books. Spy Story by Len Deighton. A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin, i think his name was. The Cobra by Frederick Forsyth.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Ink (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Sabriel- Garth Nix.

Just couldnt do it, I usually have a pet peeve about not finishing books and can tell very early on whether I'm going to like it or not. This was recommended to me by family but I thought it was god awful.

- Check out my blog on the (very slow) progress of my novel.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Perfume by Patrick Suskind
Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (Tess of the D'ubervilles is the only one of his I finished)
Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (I loved Pride and Prejudice, but never got into any of her books).

If I hadn't read it in English class Catcher in the Rye would be on the list.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Antonym (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 16

I usually doggedly power my way through books I hate, but;

Anything written by Will Self takes me ages. I really adore his books and I think they're brilliant, but they take a lot of...adjusting to his way of expressing things, and I don't often have time any more where I can sit for 6-8 hours and really plug into a book. So I only ever read Will Self on train journeys.

Der Vorleser (The Reader), mostly because I'm trying to read it in German. Killer...

Most books on the topics of; The American Civil War, Slavery, the Old South etc. I spend my whole time scowling, especially when it's set in 1920 and I'm like "Guys, Abolition is so 1770s. Get with the programme."

I dunno, I find a lot of pre-1900 American novels extremely difficult to read. But I imagine that's how most people feel about British novels before 1900 too. xD

Austen was difficult until I was 16 and realised I should read every bit of dialogue as if it was filled with pedantic sarcasm. Now I love her =D
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Kazeshini (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

A Confederacy of Dunces. As soon as the main character started talking about masturbating with mayonaise I was done.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
ceilidh (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 25

The Fallen by Thomas Sniegoski. The main character seemed completely clueless and the addition of the talking dog...AAAAGGGHH! Gave it to charity...
Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 PM
A.r.p. (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 67

I thought Neuromancer was god-awful, on the same level as Snow Crash. I tried to like them both, I really did. Maybe they got better near the end. (That's always the fearful possibility, isn't it?)

I've never finished anything by Dickens. It can't have much to do with the time period, because I love everything Mark Twain's written. Dickens is just a bore is all.

I've been restarting Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man periodically for years now. Can't make it past the first twenty pages. But I'll keep trying, because I loved Dubliners.

For the most part, though, when I make it two pages into a book I'm sold for the whole thing. It's rare I give up partway.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library