WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.

Still The Lullaby

Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Andrew M Gold (Offline)
amenOra
Official Member

Send a message via AIM to Andrew M Gold
Default Still The Lullaby

A)

Rubber bodies and candycane
Smiles; delirious eyes fix on
The prize sapping blood
From the stone within
A still heart. Onwardly the lullaby
Repeats within--an angry angel
Abandoned, beating its tune
Mechanically into life. The sweet
Breath Of a lover's lie, entangles in her
Hair--cigarette smoke and cotton candy.

B)

Rubber bodies and candycane
Smiles; delirious eyes fix on
The prize sapping blood
From the stone within
A still heart. Still the lullaby
Repeats within--an angry angel
Abandoned, beating its tune
Mechanically into life. The sweet
Breath Of a lover's lie, entangled
in her hair--Cigarette smoke and
Cotton candy. Words that cling
To flesh like a sweat-drenched
Rapture;

B is the most recent,.. I tried a few different techniques with this one so I'm kinda wondering how well they worked out..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

The imagery is very weighty - I don't know what all of it refers to - it seems that the two verses could stay as you have them, one poem with changing views - the emotional feeling I get from both is that of death - whether of a love, of a life, of vitality - I don't know - but there is at least onevital force that has left the scene, maybe more than one - and yet, there is rapture - it's all rather perverse or horrible, depressing depths that are somehow, reveled in -

those are my impressions but as I say, I don't understand all of it - which is not good or bad, just truth
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 AM
Andrew M Gold (Offline)
amenOra
Official Member

With this one, try envisioning a dependent relationship or drug addiction..

Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 AM
Andrew M Gold (Offline)
amenOra
Official Member

This one's bugging me. I get it to where I think it's right, but then change my mind. we'll see how it goes..

Old 07-05-2006, 06:32 AM
gary_wagner

In both of these versions (and moreso in B), the line breaks seem somewhat random and really throw the flow of the poem off. Below is an edit I did that would make it easier flowing for me:

Rubber bodies and candycane smiles;
delirious eyes fix on the prize
sapping blood from the stone
within a still heart.

Still the lullaby repeats within...
an angry angel abandoned,
beating its tune mechanically into life.

The sweet breath af a lover's lie,
entangled in her hair...
cigarette smoke and cotton candy.

Words that cling to flesh
like a sweat-drenched rapture.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Andrew M Gold (Offline)
amenOra
Official Member

I like! lemme play around with that because you've definitely given me a different view of it; very helpful.. thanks for the time man

Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

Funny how the line breaks completely change the feel of the poem and, for me, make it more understandable. I suppose one has to decide whether the intent in writing a poem is to keep entirely in the mood without concern for the reader's comfort and ease, or whether to accomodate the reader.
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Last edited by riverstone; 07-06-2006 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Fingers befuddled and making typos
Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
BleedinHeart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Try this at home!

Line breaks make all the difference in the world. Readers tend to read lines at a constant rate in lines. Therefore, the more words you put in a line, the faster the reader must read in order to finish the line in the same amount of time as a line with fewer words. Simply put, longer lines are read faster than shorter lines. This allows you to drive the hapless reader like a car.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

Excellent statistic, BleedinHeart. I know I have to stop and read differently, forcing myself to a slower pace for some poems. The poem must be worthy of the work to earn my approbation.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry