WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Writing a 'precis' for publishers

Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Brainstorm (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Writing a 'precis' for publishers

I've written a thriller saga. My first draft was 950,000 + words. One year later, I decided that I want to publish it. I've spent the last several months revising and serializing the series into a new saga of 8 books. These books are under 90,000 words each, which I understand is the industry standard for novels belonging to the thriller genre.
This brings me to my question. I've never published before, and understand that publishers expect a 'precis' with submissions. I'd like to know what suggestions, if any, you guys have for writing a precis. Things like a template and suggested word length would be helpful. More general feedback is welcome too. Should a precis be a 'summary' or more of a book report style composition, discussing events and 'selling features' as well as significance?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I just looked up a précis and the examples led me to believe these are for 'formal books' and may not apply to a fiction thriller.

Max
Brainstorm (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Brainstorm (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

All right. What does a 'formal book' entail exactly, please?
Old 04-23-2015, 12:28 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I took it to mean position papers on medical conditions, something more like masters or doctorate theism paper on a subject that is to be published. a formal non-fiction book.

but I looked it up on the net and then read the examples, I guess you could do the same.

max
Brainstorm (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Brainstorm (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks for clarifying. I've been told that a precis is typically expected for novel submissions. Maybe it varies from publisher to publisher.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:32 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

it might but I really just know what I have recently read on the subject.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 PM
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 68

You need to figure out which publisher(s) you will be targeting, and read their specific submissions guidelines very closely. Usually they will have something on the FAQ page of their website. Often it is a very detailed list of requirements for submission, right down to the formatting of your manuscript. Publishing houses are all different.

You might think hard about shopping around for an agent, too--not least because many publishers these days do not take submissions from authors without them. The advice I've heard on how to find them is to go to a bookstore, head to the section for the genre you're writing in, and look through the Acknowledgements pages in the books you find there. Most writers mention the names of their agents on these pages, and you can then look them up and submit to them directly.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uncephalized For This Useful Post:
Brainstorm (05-04-2015), JayMichaelson (07-05-2015)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing