WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohican’s Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584
Default Mohican’s Miscellaneous Meanderings

Mohican’s Miscellaneous Meanderings 26 April 2016

The 360 Degree Walk Around

Approximately thirty years ago, when I entered the volunteer fire service, the 360 degree Walk Around was not as common as it is for us today. We started to really incorporate it on my department in 2002.

In the old days, the fire would be reported “on the side opposite from the road”. The first due would search, and then stretch a hose line. Sometimes you just got a three sided view.

At some point in the 1990s, a concept called Incident Command started to make inroads. And a more structured approach started to become ingrained.

See the diagram above.
The A side is (typically) the side closes to the road. Someone on the first due engine (pumper in my neck of the woods, or appliance to the UKrs) will designate the A side of the building, and then walk around the perimeter of the building. This person will note any hazards, and determine that at least from the outside where the heaviest fire load might be.

He or she is making an educated guess as to the type of construction, if it is single or multiple stories.

He or she is looking for entry and egress points, where the power and gas lines, propane tanks, etc are relative to the fire. Besides obvious fire, he/she is looking for smoke. Are any of the windows blackened? Is smoke coming out of the eaves? Could the attic be compromised?

His/her radio traffic might be something like this: “Paradise Engine One is on scene. I have done my initial 360. There is flame breaching the second story wall on the “C” side of the building. Wind is out of the West. I want the second due to put a ladder at the second story window on the “B” side for egress. There is smoke from the eaves on the “D” side and this appears to be a truss roof. Initial attack to be made through the main door on the A side.”

He/She has done multiple things in a very short time. Probably less than a minute since Paradise Engine One arrived on scene. The hose crew knows where it’s going. They know that if it is truss roof, the time they spend, especially on the second floor will be precious minutes.

Residents know nothing about this. They see someone ambling around the house, wasting time. “Hey, you dummy! I told you where the fire was at!” Most people in the officer role learn to not respond, or respond after the incident is under control.

Walk around. Size up. Make a rapid first plan. Then commit.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 04-26-2016 at 09:16 AM..
Old 04-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
He or she
I guess it's hard to make the distinction when they're wearing all that firefighting gear.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

link Tell me, do you still think we can "Make America Great Again" by electing the right people?

FLATWOODS Every election cycle, U.S. Congressman Thomas Massie said he is “extorted” by the Republican Party to pay $300,000 for his committee assignments.

“I call it extortion, they call it assessments,” he said.

These “assessments,” essentially dues to the Republican party, are fundraised through political action committees and lobbyists as a price to pay for committee positions, Massie told a crowd of about 25 during a recent coffee and pizza forum in Flatwoods.

He told them, “I can’t go and do a fundraiser and raise $300,000 and stand up in front of people and tell them, ‘Well, you know what? It’s not really about the election. I need the money to buy a committee seat.’”
This might be a clue about something I've wondered about - How the Republican party as an entity hasn't really concentrated on the POTUS elections since 2008. For those in on the Grift, capturing control of both houses of Congress and maintaining control of the payola for committee seats is where the money is at.....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Secession
Scotland had a vote several years ago, and staying part of the UK passed, but "barely".

Some in the UK want out of the EU.

Some Texans are wanting secession to be discussed first at Texas Republican committee meetings, and then at the Statehouse.

Several Counties in New York State would rather be part of Pennsylvania.

Some Western Counties in Maryland want to sever ties with the coastal, urban areas of the state.

And surveys keep telling me that roughly one fourth of US citizens want their states to secede, or the nation (no longer a union in deed) to "balkanize".

Perhaps people are waking up and realizing that having the government smaller, at a more human scale is a good thing.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

George Mason read the proposed constitution in 1787, and thought it would turn into a goat rope. He might have been surprised that it took 220 plus years to devolve this far.

“From this fatal defect of a constitutional council has arisen the improper power of the Senate, and the appointment of public officers and the alarming dependence and connection between that branch of the Legislature and the Supreme Executive.

“Under their own construction of the general clause at the end of the enumerated powers, the Congress may grant monopolies in trade and commerce, constitute new crimes, inflict unusual and severe punishments, and extend their power as far as they shall think proper; so that the State Legislatures have no security for the powers now presumed to remain to them; or the people for their rights.

“Both the general Legislature and the State Legislature are expressly prohibited making ex post facto laws; though there never was nor can be a Legislature but must and will make such laws, when necessity and the public safety require them, which will hereafter be a breach of all the constitutions in the Union, and afford precedents for other innovations.

“This government will commence in a moderation aristocracy; it is at present impossible to foresee whether it will, in its operation, produce a monarchy, or a corrupt oppressive aristocracy; it will most probably vibrate some years between the two, and then terminate between the one and the other.” - George Mason, Federal Convention of 1787
Which is predictive of this:
link A couple college professors studied policy surveys and came up with the conclusion that Congress does what it wants, or what the donor class wants. Really.

The US is dominated by a rich and powerful elite.

So concludes a recent study by Princeton University Prof Martin Gilens and Northwestern University Prof Benjamin Page.

This is not news, you say.

Perhaps, but the two professors have conducted exhaustive research to try to present data-driven support for this conclusion. Here's how they explain it:

Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.

In English: the wealthy few move policy, while the average American has little power.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Is there an economic point of no return? After reading this I again wonder : http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tere...ore-1-trillion

Which in light of this is sadly amusing https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...fecd_blog.html

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. ... I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”
— Then-Sen. Barack Obama, floor speech in the Senate, March 16, 2006
Back then, the national debt was $8.5 trillion.

Now it's within spitting distance of.... $20 trillion.

And the Debt doesn't include Social Security shortfalls.....

Old 05-19-2016, 05:24 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

the abbeville institute discusses scale

Old 06-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Is there an economic point of no return? After reading this I again wonder : http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/6-months-budget-deal-debt-more-1-trillion
I tried to google this story this morning, and couldn't find it at first. I wonder if some of the search engines are tweaking their systems to hide some stories? Tin foiled hats wanna know.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

for this post I'll borrow a term - Kafkatrapping. This goes into the "control the language - control the debate" school of thought.

http://www.thedailybell.com/editoria...kafkatrapping/

Beware of Kafkatrapping
by Wendy McElroy - August 14, 2014

The term "kafkatrapping" describes a logical fallacy that is popular within gender feminism, racial politics and other ideologies of victimhood. It occurs when you are accused of a thought crime such as sexism, racism or homophobia. You respond with an honest denial, which is then used as further confirmation of your guilt. You are now trapped in a circular and unfalsifiable argument; no one who is accused can be innocent because the structure of kafkatrapping precludes that possibility.

The term derives from Franz Kafka's novel The Trial in which a nondescript bank clerk named Josef K. is arrested; no charges are ever revealed to the character or to the reader. Josef is prosecuted by a bizarre and tyrannical court of unknown authority and he is doomed by impenetrable red tape. In the end, Josef is abducted by two strange men and inexplicably executed by being stabbed through the heart. The Trial is Kafka's comment on totalitarian governments, like the Soviet Union, in which justice is twisted into a bitter, horrifying parody of itself and serves only those in charge.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

If anyone is paying attention, then I'm sure this quote by Bishop Charles Chaput will bring some KafkaTrapping.

If no on is paying attention, then the years of whining for the return of The Intellectual Table were just that, whining.

“We need to remember that tolerance is not a Christian virtue.

Charity, justice, mercy, prudence, honesty — these are Christian virtues.

And obviously, in a diverse community, tolerance is an important working principle. But it’s never an end itself.

In fact, tolerating grave evil within a society is itself a form of serious evil.

Likewise, democratic pluralism does not mean that Catholics (Christians period) should be quiet in public about serious moral issues because of some misguided sense of good manners.

A healthy democracy requires vigorous moral debate to survive. Real pluralism demands that people of strong beliefs will advance their convictions in the public square — peacefully, legally and respectfully, but energetically and without embarrassment.

Anything less is bad citizenship and a form of theft from the public conversation.”
– Archbishop Charles Chaput

Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

From Brad BIrzer at TIC

“What if the Apocalypse is not an event, but a long, drawn-out process? What if rather than the drama of a rapture, we get the dread of a ceaselessly droning Ann Coulter or Rachel Maddow? What if the tyrants marked with the sign of the beast turn out to be elevator operators who love Muzak? What if the four riders of the apocalypse turn out to be Friends, MTV’s Real World, The O’Reilly Factor, and Game of Thrones? What if the Anti-Christ turns out to be the manager of Denny’s no. 3778, located in St. Paul, Minnesota? What if the seven seals turn out to be the best-selling paperbacks at the Detroit airport bookstore—that one right next to gate A37? What if the seven trumpets appear in some big band-polka revival group making its way through the charts of a Sheboygan, Wisconsin AM-station?” – Brad Brizer, The Imaginative Conservative

Old 08-09-2016, 03:29 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Hell’s Bells, Do I owe apologies?

Hell’s Bells, Do I owe apologies? Hello to all at Intellectual table!

I’ve been pissed off ever since WB leaders decided to isolate controversies inside the Intellectual Table forum. I railed at having a forum which required a password which is not required on any other forum on the site. Yet I wanted to join and tried to do so many times. Finally, when someone gave me the password, I still could not, because my old computer didn’t have the right Cookies, a problem I never had with any other forum. Only with IT. I can’t explain this but I don’t think it’s some sort of conspiracy.

So I gave up.

Recently I learned a password was no longer required so I went there to see what I’d been missing. I was thunderstruck to realize I had missed nothing. I don’t know how many people visit the site but there wasn’t much content to think about. Apparently there was one member and one guest with no visitor count.
I realize now I had hustled myself into thinking the IT would be a forum where I could deal with issues which have plagued my writing most of my life. (Religion, Politics, Free Will, Self-Talk, Consciousness, Death Penalty, etc.) Spirited feedback was what I sought. But IT miscarried and appears to have less traffic than any forum of WB.

So I want to apologize for my rash enthusiasm. I should have known better, but I got so excited by the potential that all rationality left me. I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

However, I remain critical of the administrator killing a thread. I still am opposed to killing threads, even though I thought that thread was totally inane. But that isn’t the point. That thread didn’t violate any rules. It was active and people where posting. Yet, it was killed for “going nowhere”. That’s was a personal call of one person and I think an abuse of the power of that person, I believe it was posted in the Café forum where casual, fun and serious topics are acceptable, even if ‘going nowhere’ like the long running thread ‘what music are you listening to’?. So I withhold my apology for anything I said here or in the past of this topic. Killing threads is just too dictatorial and using ‘relevance’ as a justification is not acceptable.

There. I feel better. Thanks for reading this and, as always, I welcome responses. wrc
((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I'm adding to the above post.

I'm posting here because it's convenient. There are many topics in your thread here I'd like to add my two cents. I appreciate your efforts in breathing life into a forum based on thinking and analysis.

The one topic that gets me riled the most is how the 1% of the US population (billionaires and trillionaires) have bought the government and turned the 99% into economic slaves. I've always been bad at math, but I've often wondered how many generations a trillionaire can provide for with just the interest on their wealth? How many if they liquidated? Or to put this vast wealth in an understand way, a Big Mac costs under five dollars. How many Big Macs would you get with a Trillion dollars?

Let's put a limit on the acceptable size of wealth. Once the 1% reach it, the rest is liquidated and split among the 99%. Just something to ponder. The 1% already own most of the industialized coutries and so they're going global to own the Earth. Something has to be done to stop this insane 'greed feed'. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 08-09-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

The thread that was closed had violations of the rules, some comments that were especially egregious were edited out.\

And the post that was closed was in Free Writing.

Last edited by Mohican; 08-11-2016 at 12:20 AM..
Old 08-11-2016, 12:42 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Originally Posted by wrc View Post

The one topic that gets me riled the most is how the 1% of the US population (billionaires and trillionaires) have bought the government and turned the 99% into economic slaves. I've always been bad at math, but I've often wondered how many generations a trillionaire can provide for with just the interest on their wealth? How many if they liquidated? Or to put this vast wealth in an understand way, a Big Mac costs under five dollars. How many Big Macs would you get with a Trillion dollars?

Let's put a limit on the acceptable size of wealth. Once the 1% reach it, the rest is liquidated and split among the 99%. Just something to ponder. The 1% already own most of the industialized coutries and so they're going global to own the Earth. Something has to be done to stop this insane 'greed feed'. wrc

Do you see the logical fallacy in your statement that I placed in bold?

Old 08-11-2016, 05:49 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

On Christendom versus liberty

Christendom needs no defense against the charge that it was the enemy of liberty rightly understood. If liberty is defined, not as a mere absence of restraint on human action in the pursuit of whatever one considers happiness, or as the ability to acquire a hitherto unknown abundance of gadgets and other material comforts, but rather as the good life of virtue, the secure possession of truth in in individual and social life, and freedom from the bondage of sin for the sake of eternal felicity, then the commonwealths of Christendom were bulwarks of true liberty in comparison with the collapsing secular states of political modernity, which have experienced moral, spiritual and cultural decline from the moment they were established. Christopher Ferrara from Liberty : The God That Failed.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Mohican.

No, I do not see bad logic in my suggestion to make it illegal to amass weath beyone a certain amount. Maybe it would be a difficult problem to figure out how to distribute the billions and billions of dollars that would result in a cap on the 1 %. But think of the possibilities! That money could improve the country's infrastructure. It could also assist all members of the poorer 99% in areas as health, education, and other quality of life issues.

I ran across a bumper sticker that declared EAT THE RICH. Now, that's bad logic. There aren't enough people in the !% to even get a scent of boiled fat for the teeming mass of people which make up the 99%.

What I failed to mention in my earlier post is what should be the cap before kicking someone out of the 'greed feed'. I think I'm in favor of two billion dollars after which the excess is liquidated and used for the benefit of all. I'm not sure about the amount, but it seems more than fair to me. What do you think?

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 08-11-2016 at 09:16 AM..
Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

You stated you killed that thread because it was "going nowhere." Now you say you killed it because it broke the rules. What rules are you referring to? Your rules? You may be an Administrator but you not a Dictator.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Let's put a limit on the acceptable size of wealth. Once the 1% reach it, the rest is liquidated and split among the 99%. wrc
If you cap wealth at a certain limit, then they can't in theory go beyond that limit and there would be no further wealth to liquidate and split.

The 1% that are already above that level would have something to liquidate and split.

There's this tale - and I call it a tale - about a tribe in the South Pacific that once a year takes the possessions of all the members of the tribe, gathers them in a common pot and redistributes them evenly. At the end of the year, virtually the same tribe members have more possessions, and the same that have less possession have less possession.

Some people have their wealth by inheritance, some gain by what they do. Some actually are decent people who gain by honest means, so this redistribution is a punishment.

Let's say that you enact this in 'Murrica. You could only control in theory wealth in 'Murrica. To prevent people from offshoring more wealth you would have to have the cooperation of other countries.

I don't see a peaceful way of making this happen. When they did this in Russia they killed off a lot of wealthy families, and then the party bosses.....became the new generational wealth. Socialism is always good for the socialist.......

To me, the idea to cap peoples wealth is often based on a concept of "Fair" and not a concept of "Just".

If there was another "turning" in 'Murrica where the people demanded and drove Just Laws then the wealth gap or accumulation might not be so great.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:42 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

I noticed a recent post opining that there are a plethora of "Murrican Conservatives" here at the 'Beat.

Can you be "Conservative" if there is precious little in the system that you want to conserve?

Old 08-16-2016, 06:59 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

The event(s) that led to the 11th amendment wouldn't happen in today's version of Nationalist Globalist Murrica.

Hell, who am I kidding. The addition of the first ten amendments, especially 2, 9, and 10 wouldn't happen in today's version of Nationalist Gobalist Murrica.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Does anyone else wish that Samuel Chase was the second person that Aaron Burr invited to Weehawken?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 351

If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller
What about surrendering a civilization in spite of social disapproval?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-22-2016, 01:45 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 351

You see if the people bear the burden of political decision it should be fair that the government represent the people. If a government has people as subjects or acts independently of the people's wishes the government should be held responsible for their decisions, and therefore convicted of manslaughter for every person who died under their watch (due to their decisions). If a government does not like this they should represent their people/give them agency.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-22-2016, 08:09 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Then picklebottom said:

Now, I say:
If you surrender a civilization to avoid anything, you should know that there will be no one to curse you. wrc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (09-22-2016), NuNu (09-25-2016), PickleBottom (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 351

Then picklebottom said:

Now, I say:
If you surrender a civilization to avoid anything, you should know that there will be no one to curse you. wrc
Checkmate me!
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 618

Quoting Alice Teller is just a few steps back from quoting David Duke. Won't win any popularity contests there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Originally Posted by Mohican
Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Quoting Alice Teller is just a few steps back from quoting David Duke. Won't win any popularity contests there.

Yet another shining example of not refuting a statement, but attacking the person that said it. That might win popularity contests on liberal leaning writing sites.

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

The most interesting people I know have been through hell and don't whine about it, rarely even discuss it, they just learned from it. Alice Teller (or like Prodigal, they weave it into a humorous tale....)

Last edited by Mohican; 09-26-2016 at 07:39 AM..
Old 10-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

I might have to do a bit of self edumacatin about Edward Abbey

“If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule: That was the American dream.” Edward Abbey

Old 10-11-2016, 07:32 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 618

Yet another shining example of not refuting a statement, but attacking the person that said it. That might win popularity contests on liberal leaning writing sites.

First, we are not surrendering civilization to avoid social disapproval. That's just a ridiculous idea, and shortsighted. That's one of those 'talking points' or hidden meanings to express the desire to segregate all you 'good' people from us 'bad' people. It's an obvious ploy, so obvious, it feels silly to respond seriously.

'We don't want the gays because we disagree with their 'lifestyle.' We shouldn't have to serve them (in our businesses) or help them in any way because the Bible says...'

'We don't want the Muslims, because they are different, a different culture, incompatible with ours. We can't make Christian laws because they won't like it. Plus, they want to kill or terrorize us.'

'I don't mind the blacks, but the lazy good for nothing ones need to find another place to be. Maybe we could send them back to Africa where they came from, heh, heh.'

Christ! where does it end?

Intelligence and love are completely inclusive. What would you do if you got a whole fresh country filled with people like yourself (or a close approximation)?
You'd have to find a way to deal with the rest of the world, or eventually be crushed by it. Think South Africa.

And... if America became a nation of farmers and craftsmen and... blah blah blah... they would be squashed by the rest of the world or be in a perpetual state of militarization in their own defense. That world is gone. Would it be nice to have back? Sure, but it's not possible.

Second... cowardliness is a word used by cowards to hide what they really are.
Can you shoot another man to defend your TV? Your car? Your wife? Sure you could. Does that make you brave?

...not if you're smart. It makes you defensive, reactionary, and incapable or love. Real love. Afraid. And scared people attract what they are afraid of.

—Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.—

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table