WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

dems or reps

Old 12-03-2016, 06:43 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403
Default dems or reps

are demarcates or republicans more responsive to the needs of the people.

give examples to back your opinion please

I have several examples that form my opinion, but I think ill start with health care,

I think the dems are my choice in this case.

i'll point to Obama care which serves 13 mil (an average of the numbers I have seen) it lets people with major problems get heath care that they wouldn't have normally been able to get. in contrast the reps are willing to put in some sort of voucher system that would limit the amount of care a person could get, is that right. the entire voucher system is sort of like picking up soft set jello to me. and tax credits that will do no good for a person who is below the point where they pay taxes.

that puts the burden of paying escalating medical cost to the ones that can afford insurance that, in some back door way, covers the cost of the ones that don't have insurance. and what is wrong with the govern fining people who can and refuse to buy insurance and are therefore a burden to the rest of us as our cost of insurance and medical cost goes up.

max

Last edited by max crash; 12-03-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 137

Supposedly, Obamacare isn't working or sustainable. But it's really hard to get the straight story on why. Are insurance companies dropping out because they're losing money, or just not making the profits they used to make? (And I'm thinking about the people at the top.) I've tried to look into it, but frankly I can't figure it out. All the sources seem so biased one way or the other.

I work for myself. And I don't qualify for any subsidies, so I pay a lot of money for health insurance for a family of four. Ignorance is bliss; my wife handles all that, but I'm thinking close to 10 grand a year and our deductible is maybe 7 grand? Could be more. We're all very healthy so that hasn't been an issue so far.

I don't really have a big problem with the idea that I'm subsidizing people who can't afford insurance. But it sure seems expensive. I also have no idea if that's where the money is going and how it all works behind the scenes.

Bottom line, I need the insurance. I have no other choice, really. I just hope I can continue to pay for it, because I have a feeling costs are going to go up, regardless of who is in the White House.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:52 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

you're right about getting a handle on the real numbers on the insurance.

as retired military I only had to start paying for insurance when I went on social security . 135 per month so i'm fortunate, but the young families pay more than I do- that's all they will say, and they work locally in whatever jobs are there, maybe 10 bucks an hour. it can't be easy.

and I don't know what Obama care cost.

Does any one have first hand experience, numbers.

I didn't mean for this to become a discussion about Obama care because I know very little about the way it actually effect those who use it.

Does any one have first hand experience

max
Old 12-03-2016, 03:49 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 618

My insurance in AZ for a family of five went from $966 per month last year to $1661 per month this year. Starts in January but we already had to make the first payment (good faith I guess). In addition, there is only one insurance company offering coverage in my county. My deductible is only $3500 per person, and I can't figure out for the life of me how we would spend $3500 each. We're pretty healthy so far, and beyond some catastrophic illness we'll never hit that $3500.

It pisses me off, but like Myers there is no understandable explanation available. I think I know the answer, but yeah, it's not working. At least for me.

I do have friends who are poor or who's families have a preexisting condition which would have prevented them from any coverage without Obamacare. I see their point. It's a godsend for them.

I don't qualify for subsidies, so for me it's hard. I'm not rich and I work seven days a week, often for more than 10 hrs a day. Yeah, I make good money, but it seems to me there has to be a better answer.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 618

To answer your question about Dems v Repubs, I'd say both are equally screwing us. Just depends on if you want it in the ass or the ear. Either way it's going to hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Demagogues and Repugnance.

Autocorrect democracy.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:03 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,188

The difference between a dictatorship and a democracy is one of them doesn't waste your time with the voting.

Bukowski

No matter who you vote for the same government gets reelected.

Abbie Hoffman
Old 12-04-2016, 10:16 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 351

Yeah nah, both ineffectual.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2016, 03:57 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 137

Ralph Nadar said, "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door."

But when it comes to the environment and financial regulation, I think that difference could have some impact.

And you can look at things like the invasion of Iraq or Obamacare and see that there are things that are more or less likely to happen, depending on who's in the White House or who has the majorities in the house and senate.

Supreme court nominations make a difference too; as long as judges can stay on the bench to the point where they can't function, which is absurd.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Yeah nah, both ineffectual.
If you think the Republicans and Democrats, and specifically in House and Senate are ineffectual than you need to ask yourself several questions.

After the 2012 POTUS election the RNC spent a lot of money on a postmortem to find out why Romney got his ass kicked. Whatever they came out with, the Republican establishment fielded the same old same old in the form of Jeb Bush, Chris Christy, and Marco Rubio and wondered why they were rejected in the primaries.

In the same vein, Tim coCaine (D-Ohio) tried to unseat Nazi Pelosi as House Minority Leader. Nazi Pelosi held onto her seat, and her message has been "Nothing to see here citizen, move along".

tRUMP's election should be viewed as mandate for change, but I'm not holding out any real hopes......

The people in California putting forth secession on the ballot have the right idea.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table