WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Writerbeat is dying

Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Writerbeat is dying

Hi to all the diehards and newbies.

It's clear to me that the only writers participating here now are newbies and a few diehards, including me, also a diehard. I am depressed about this.

Can it be saved? Should it be saved may be a more important question. The owners of WB don't seem committed to it.

There are so few members participants that a discussions may not be possible to plan a comeback.

I have a few ideas on how to increase members and bring back members that moved on. But sharing these ideas seems a waste of time if I'm just talking to myself.

So, if there's anyone out there that wants a discussion about this topic, let's have a round robin discussion. I'm not clear on who makes decisions here, but does that person or persons want WB to survive?

WB members helped me go from a lazy writer to a more professional approach. And the IT allowed me to refine my ideas. I remain indebted to all those that helped me. WB was a real asset to me and could be again for others coming along.

But I know nothing is forever. Hello. Hello. Is there anyone out there?

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

No such thing as death; all it is is a transformation. Stay tuned for the resurrection of a better Beat. Don't limit your thinking power.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Besides, you want quality, not quantity. As long as you, brianpatrick, picklebottle, blue, Tor, and a few other regulars stick around, the place will continue to define topics professionally. And also churn out high quality writing. Have patience.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:10 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Most of the Internet forums are experiencing intense competition from social media groups. There are tons of closed groups on Facebook for writers and just about anything else a person might be interested in.

I belong to a trade forum and it's the same way there. Facebook can't compete with the archive of information amassed on some Internet forums, and the search functions are not very good, but an immediate deluge of realtime comments (positive or negative) is what a lot of people seem to be looking for these days.

This sight had some kind of meltdown a while back, and it may have just turned out to be bad timing.

Writersbeat used to have a magazine and contests and a lot of participating members that seem to have left after the closing of the original intellectual table.

I'm sure the owner/operators look at return on their investments, and the fact that it's still here has got to mean something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

An Internet forum can no more 'die' than a bus stop. It isn't alive. If you want to liven it up I suggest you start using it instead of whining about about nobody using it any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 03:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
An Internet forum can no more 'die' than a bus stop. It isn't alive. If you want to liven it up I suggest you start using it instead of whining about about nobody using it any more.

Yes, so an Internet forum is not literally living, but communities do in fact fade out or 'die.' When they reach the point they are no longer producing ad revenue to cover the hosting and server and maintenance costs, as well as a profit, they die. They get switched off.

You can dance and sing on an empty playground all you want, but that won't ever make a party, much less a community.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

If I'm dancing in an empty playground with a winner in my arms, I could care less about a party. I have my own.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
If I'm dancing in an empty playground with a winner in my arms, I could care less about a party. I have my own.

In this scenario there is no winner. Just you dancing alone by yourself. In your underwear. And it's cold, very cold.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:43 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

I've been in an empty playground, once or twice, sitting on a bench with a winner in my arms. But honestly the thought of dancing never entered my head.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by Cityboy
If I'm dancing in an empty playground with an inflatable dateable in my arms, I could care less about a party. I have my own.

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
In this scenario there is no winner. Just you dancing alone by yourself. In your underwear. And it's cold, very cold.

Brian - this has been covered before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1NrQYXjLU

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
that my be the reason for CrowdGathers slow response.

The original founder/founders are long gone

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

I know of a writing forum that lasted about one year.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Mohican, I don't do inflatables.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Besides, you want quality, not quantity. As long as you, brianpatrick, picklebottle, blue, Tor, and a few other regulars stick around, the place will continue to define topics professionally. And also churn out high quality writing. Have patience.
One of these left for good about a month ago...

Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

One of the biggest problems with these internet sites is that too many people think they know everything. Therefore having nothing else to learn, they try to ram their crap down the throats of everybody else. Put to ego to bed and everyone will get along just fine.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:38 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

Idly watching the queue at the bus stop today I had a startling insight.

Just like the ebb and flow of the oceans, forum member come and go, and that's a Good Thing. You'd get sick of the same old farts hanging around all the time, shoving their expertise down your gullet. It would be just like family dinners at Christmas but with less sherry and brussels sprouts. Better instead to fill the place with the grammatically challenged and Putin haters. Bigots are the lifeblood of any forum. After all, mindless intolerance is what separates us from the animals.

I was so pleased with this revelation I missed my bus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (01-14-2017), Mohican (01-16-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

When my mother was about 75, I told her one day, "Ma, why don't you go hang out in the senior citizen center."

She looked at me and said, "I don't want to go down there with all those old farts."
Old 01-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Animals. When you put them in the same class that the vast number of human beings are in, you insult the furry critters.

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went."

I'm with Will.

Mark Twain said this about cats, "Whoever likes cats is a friend of mine."

Smart man, that Mark.

An intelligent man like you should be riding around town in a Mercedes. What are you doing standing in a bus stop?

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-14-2017 at 05:17 PM..
Old 01-14-2017, 05:24 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

I think FT is a girl

Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

In fact, I think she is both a prostitute and a pilot. Or maybe just a Monty Python fan.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

Animals. When you put them in the same class that the vast number of human beings are in, you insult the furry critters.

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went."

I'm with Will.

Mark Twain said this about cats, "Whoever likes cats is a friend of mine."

Smart man, that Mark.

An intelligent man like you should be riding around town in a Mercedes. What are you doing standing in a bus stop?
Will and Mark sound like my kind of humans.
How kind. You're right, I wouldn't normally loiter at bus stops but it was my chauffeur's day off.

I think FT is a girl

In fact, I think she is both a prostitute and a pilot. Or maybe just a Monty Python fan.
Have you been stalking me?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Where's wrc? Maybe he died.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 363

Looks to me like the site lost the critical mass needed to keep it viable quite a while ago.

If you're thinking about joining a writing site, and you check all of them out, there wouldn't be much incentive to join this one over one that has a lot more activity. Even the dated look of the site isn't very inviting.

If you do join, and you think your work is ready to sub, or close to it, a look at "Members Only" isn't going to give you much incentive to stick around.

And regardless of the topic, discussions among the same handful of members tend to get a little predictable, to put it nicely.

New blood is essential, and this place desperately needs a transfusion - one that isn't going to happen, not when the avatars etc. aren't even working and no one is doing anything about it.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
If you do join, and you think your work is ready to sub, or close to it, a look at "Members Only" isn't going to give you much incentive to stick around.
Hitting me with the sad truth. At this point I can't even put a "LOL" or "RollEyes" emoticon to go with this.....

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
New blood is essential, and this place desperately needs a transfusion - one that isn't going to happen, not when the avatars etc. aren't even working and no one is doing anything about it.
I don't own the forum, and am not a subscriber to the host - CrowdGather. All I can do is ask, but have no leverage.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

"It's empty. Let's hit (not beat-up) the bench," The boy told his sweetheart.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-16-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

No fenced-in playgrounds in your area?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

No fenced-in playgrounds in your area?

Here they don't fence in playgrounds, but most of them are empty anyway.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

flyingtart had it right--post, don't whine.

One key ingredient in keeping these forums alive is thrashing each other. That used to be popular here too. People would post not to exchange ideas but to batter each other--egos gone wild!

You may not have been around when this was going on, but there was indeed a lot of traffic and a lot of posting, half of which was nonsense.

Vulgar language was trendy. And those defending it would claim "we are all mature." Truth is, there were minors posting and there were also people who didn't have ears for that crap. Without respect, all order breaks down. When a man starts cursing around another man's wife, it wouldn't be long before he tries to screw her.

They were phony members anyway. They used to place as a recruiting center for their own business. Only thing, owners here (whoever they are) were too blind to realize what was happening. They should have shown them to the door much sooner.

Anyway, this site is a lot better without them. And this place still has potential. I mean, if you don't like it here, go wherever you think is fine. Don't thrash this place. Go where the grass is greener!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

If they're empty, next time I'm in the area with sweetheart, I'll enter.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Cityboy (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

"Post--don't whine."

Credit flyingtart with providing the most valuable information for keeping a site alive using just three words. Now, that's an incredible achievement. If we could only instill his (her?) genius in the health care system, health care will be affordable to everyone.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-16-2017 at 12:23 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table