WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Writerbeat is dying

Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 258

A recognition that the site is dying isn't whining -- it's an accurate observation.

The handful of people left could post their fingers to the bone and it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference.

So the suggestion to stop whining and pitch in hardly amounts to "valuable information" at this point. It's more like trying to bail water out of the Titanic with a bucket brigade.

Yeah -- it's been fun. But I'm pretty sure I hear the band playing "Nearer My God to Thee," so I'm going to elbow my way onto the nearest lifeboat.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 146

Bad analogy. An ocean going vessel carries you from place to place and stops you from drowning. A forum is more akin to a notice board; sometimes there are lots of notices, sometimes none. No need for lifeboats, just get a life.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Nonsense. It's a perfectly good analogy. The place is sinking and there's no compelling reason to stay aboard. My embellishments aside, that's as far as the comparison needs to go.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Well, you'll never get a baseball manager's job with that attitude. You play hard until the last out is made regardless whether you are winning 10-0 or losing 10-0. If you happen to lose, you try to figure out what went wrong, make adjustments, and play harder the next time. You don't blast your teammates for the loss. And you certainly don't "die"--dying is for losers.

Sometimes the manager has to be replaced.

Lifeboat? If you have to swim to win, you swim.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

I have no interest in managing or playing on a dysfunctional team with an insufficient number of players in front of empty stands.

But by all means, keep swinging for the fences.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:02 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

When you love the game, you play it without any concern who's watching. Insulting teammates? You couldn't even be a water boy on the teams I played on and against. Probably wouldn't even let you on the field. And you wouldn't be missed or even given a second thought.

Just go wherever you believe the grass is greener. "Let go" and live.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:12 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 778

Say... where IS the grass greener? I've looked. HaidannGripp told me about zoetrope, but I can't for whatever reason figure out how to log on there.

There's Facebook groups, but so far they have been likeŚwell, like Facebook. The only people who post work are terrible, and demands from self-righteous teens about exactly what is terrible about their terrible writing.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:32 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 146

The team sport analogy doesn't work either. Writing is not a team sport.

Dunno about other boards. The ones I used to frequent have all declined in recent years since Amazon made self publishing a viable alternative.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 623

Brian: I'd post a picture, but the board function currently at Writer's Beat (17Jan2017) doesn't allow it...

https://www.zoetrope.com/ takes you to the sign up page.

I'll try to register and get back to you.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Insulting teammates?
Just because you feel insulted doesn't automatically mean you or anyone else was insulted.

There are only a handful of people left, I'm assuming through no fault of theirs. And the site is literally not functioning as it should. No one should take it personally.

Otherwise, I don't labor under the delusion that I will be missed.

Some parting advice - don't make shit up.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
The team sport analogy doesn't work either. Writing is not a team sport.
Guess what? No analogy works if you analyze it to death.

Writing may not be a team sport, but an active critique forum is a team of sorts.

Think about it.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Other writing forums?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 778

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Other writing forums?

Yeah
Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Life is a team sport. When we realize we are all on the same team, we could close down the nuclear programs and shuffle those scientists to the medical field. Wasted intelligence. really wasted.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Life is a team sport. When we realize we are all on the same team, we could close down the nuclear programs and shuffle those scientists to the medical field. Wasted intelligence. really wasted.

Maybe a new manager, a shuffled lineup, and a few good scouts to recruit would help. There are still long ball hitters on this site, some really good ones.

Who makes up stuff? I've already been accused of doing that by some who have the inability to see beyond their own hands. I'm just saying why frustrate yourself, just go where you may be at peace.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-17-2017 at 06:40 AM..
Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 146

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, CB.

Upstream you were flouncing off with your bad analogies and now you are laying down a wish list of reforms. Looks like time wasting to me. Why not go and do some writing?
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Oh, I'm so sorry. I forgot we were supposed to be talking about LIFE and nuclear programs and the medical field etc.

I don't know how I got the idea we were specifically talking about the viability of a writing forum...
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Who makes up stuff?
You. By assuming I'd insulted anyone. But assuming that I thought I'd be missed.

Made up shit.

And for someone who's always going on about peace, virtually all your posts belie frustration and anger. You do not promote peace -- you promote your own ego and self-righteousness. I think you would argue with a fence post.

Yes - I can sometimes be a contrarian, but I don't try to sell it with a veneer of fake wisdom and brotherly love.

It's all so phony.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Oh, and BTW -- yes, I would miss you!

Because you are the most ludicrous persona I have ever encountered on the internet.

And that's quite an accomplishment.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Bit hostile & negative, chap. Maybe a sidekick will post a funny image to cheer you up.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 623

Per Crowd Gather they are working on issues, And are going to see if they can "restore" functions. There were unable to give me an estimated time of completion.

Regards,
Mohican.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 258

Bit hostile & negative, chap.
Such restraint! And what powers of observation!

Good job.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 623

I really hope that they get the board issues fixed by February so that I can rock my Bass Reeves avatar......

Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Myers View Post

Because you are the most ludicrous persona I have ever encountered on the internet.

And that's quite an accomplishment.
Not looking to upstage you, just drop some ancient wisdom into your lap (these days we all could use a bit of wisdom):

"Care about what other people think and you'll always be their prisoner." --Lao Tzu
Old 01-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, CB.

Upstream you were flouncing off with your bad analogies and now you are laying down a wish list of reforms. Looks like time wasting to me. Why not go and do some writing?

Your viewpoint about insanity and my viewpoint are vastly different. I see living blindly in this world as a form of mental decay. "Let the dead bury the dead"-- believe me there are plenty of dead who believe they are alive. The only life in them is a beating heart.

Of course, you might object to my understanding. You'll ring in your psychiatrists and psychologists with all their fancy words or phrases. But, FT, many of those head doctors are just as "dead" as their patients. And can never really help them with the incorrect analysis and treatment.

Stay healthy. Don't catch cold at bus stop.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:43 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 29

I'm relatively new here so I thought a lot about weighing in with my opinion. I've picked up pieces here and there about the history of the site, there was a former intellectual table that went defunct and a mass migration of members and someone here noted a conservative bent which I have observed. The remaining members are split between people willing to engage in conversation and those who stay outside of it making snarky comments.

I can't with certainty diagnose the primary cause of the decline but it seems to me that an aloof and mocking membership has contributed. I understand trolling having trolled oft enough myself but if any wants to build up a society certain norms have to be adhered to. No civilization was built on irony. And that's grandiose speech for a simple writers forum but I think the application scales and that if the people here try and engage in honest discussion, at least in the IT and perhaps in that statement I am betraying myself, but giving the benefit of the doubt, of declining to take offense where offense might be taken, of swallowing one's pride when one is wrong and defending even those who disagree with you all contribute to a lasting and attractive society. Perhaps if we all ease up on the snark, abstain from cynicism, strive for understanding as opposed to superiority, tend not towards destruction but rather construction the site may after a time flourish again.

Edit: I wanted to add Charlie Chaplain's speech in The Great Dictator, its besides Carl Sagan's The Pale Blue Dot one of my favorite speeches. If I can bare my soul a minute I don't understand what is going on in the world. I'm trying my best to create a dialogue but whether its in Maryland or Texas, Colorado or Ukraine or Romania or Germany or on this site I'm met with the same apprehension towards honesty as if it were taboo to say that you care. Flyingtart, what is it you're trying to make me see when you mock? Mohican what is it you want me to understand? I am trying to understand but I can't unless you help. Unless you're clear on what it is you want. Unless you drop your defenses and allow yourself to be vulnerable in the same way that right now I am making myself vulnerable. I cannot interpret. If I interpret it will be me imposing my view upon you.

I don't think that because were communicating through the internet that the communication is any less significant than if we were sitting across the table from one another. To believe so devalues language. If the value of your language is dependent on the medium which it is transmitted through then why invent new mediums? Why the radio? Why television? Why the internet? Is it simply convenience? Or is there some greater underlying purpose of it? Every invention of communication has been to draw more and more people into one's sphere of influence. But to influence others means to be influenced. So much of what I see is defensiveness taken to an extreme, the refusal to take a risk, and maybe well founded, to say that this is what I mean in this way and that this is what I want.

If we all drop our pretenses, forego our defenses, admit our cares and fears without sacrifice of personal strength and integrity, if we can risk being fools, risk being wrong, if we can act and speak with assurance of our own dignity, this site, and more importantly the world will be, even if only infinitesimally so, a better place to live. The attempt to alleviate suffering, to advance human understanding, even when futile, that alone is worth celebrating.

This will not happen quickly. As with anything good time is needed. But we all have time and even if we are any old is there ever sufficient reason to abandon our responsibility to our progeny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXe5FGX95o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

Last edited by bluewpc; 01-18-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-18-2017, 09:03 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 778

I think Myers 'critical mass' theory is probably right. There just isn't enough of us to keep it interesting. There is also not administrative staff like there used to be. There is us and a moderator, to make sure we don't get too out of hand.

Maybe it will come back some day, dunno, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 146

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
Perhaps if we all ease up on the snark
You mean like this...
"As for flyingtart. I'm hoping that this thread will attract some putin bots so they can be dissected."

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
Flyingtart, what is it you're trying to make me see when you mock?
I'm not interested in making you see anything. I long since gave up trying to decypher the long winded diatribes you call posts. If you wanted to discuss like an adult you might meet others half way instead of dismissing them as enemy agents.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 29

@flyingtart Yes I mean like that. I tried to shame you with the absolute horror of the gassing of children and you mocked it. I have friends who have been tortured by the Russians, killed by the Russians, I have friends who have lost their livelihoods, their homes, their families. I've had an attempt on my life by the Russians, privy sector, so if I am impatient with you then perhaps find it in yourself to forgive me. If I am terse call me out on it. If I am belligerent call me out on it but if I'm right in the things that I say then at least give me that. My views are shaded by my life and I am trying to transcend that but don't act as if I don't care or as if I'm double faced or disingenuous.

Last edited by bluewpc; 01-18-2017 at 11:24 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 146

This isn't about Russians, it's about your inability to think critically. If you want to be a writer it's kind of fundamental, unless you're content to be a hack.

I stopped seeing the world as black and white a long time ago and I find such thinking puerile. But if you want to wallow in bigotry, have at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-19-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table