WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media

New Media Blog novels, podcasts, ebooks, and other writing technological newfangledness.

Network for writers of online serials, ebooks, podcasts, etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Lin

Default Network for writers of online serials, ebooks, podcasts, etc.

A new "social network" has been formed with the aim of being a nexus or "umbrella" to tie together the various strands of the "eWriting" community.

Originally conceived because the existing writing websites don't have sections for online literature and such, New Media Network is hoping to become a resource and connector for those who write for these new forms of expression.

It's brand new, but has started interviews, links listings, info on ware as well as just writing, and connects to several discussion forums, including this one. You can upload pictures of your covers or screenshots, as well as videos dealing with these matters. There are groups with discussions and hot mailing to other members, and you can forum groups of your own or start your own blog.

It has a really easy RSS feed add on each personal profile.*

It's part of the ning.com "network of networks" and is therefore worth joining if only to take advantage of the powerful promotional abilities of ning.

If you've never signed up on a ning.com site before, it's suggested that you start at ning.com and set up a "ning ID", which makes it very quick to join other networks.
Also that you use a square avatar or personal photo. Around 150 to 180 pixels square seems to work best.

Come on over and check it out. Sign up now and grow it around you. If nothing else, it's another place to put your name and RSS feed and a link to your project.

http://newwriting.ning.com/

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Checked it out. Good stuff. Hoping to try it soon, but need to put something worthwhile together before jumpin in. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:42 PM
RoryAnthony (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Have a question. Would something like this, online publishing, have any potentially good/bad impact on finding an Agent or Publisher later?

I checked out the site and it looks awesome, I have a lot of short story ideas in my notebooks and even have a couple written up already. My thing is the majority of them tie into my book series I'm working on, sometimes directly other times indirectly in the same "world" of the main books. I have never really figured out what I want to do with them, mostly just figured I'd fit them in as prologues or bonus extra chapters to their tie in books if/when I eventually get published. Have toyed with the idea trying to get a couple into magazines but never got around to it.

This seems like a great idea, and might help me get a little more motivation to flesh out my stories. Just not sure as I asked in my question, if this will have a positive or negative impact on my publishing chances considering the tie in aspect. Or if it wont matter either way of course.

Sorry to semi derail your topic Lin, just didn't feel my question warranted a new thread since it has to do with your excellent post.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Lin

My hit is this, *Rory. *Doing things like weblit serials, podcasts, ebooks, phone app serials, etc. *puts you in the postition of getting read immediately. *And perhaps getting feedback if you want to set it up that way. *And possibly of making some money at it.

As far as helping you get an agent or contract of movie option, let me suggest that you go back to *http://newwriting.ning.com/ , *touch the "Blogs" button on the menu bar, select Barri's "Point Of interView" and read back over the last three interviews: *all of them guys who started out doing blog serials for kicks and are now published in book form.
One of them is a red-hot property on St Martins books and his novel has been optioned for a screenplay.

So, it's far from a sure thing, but the shot is there. * And if you don't make it to the Big Screen or NYT list, *you are writing and gaining readership instead of sitting around with some stories in a drawer.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
RoryAnthony (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Awesome thanks for the reply, I was more worried about it being negative on my chances. I'm fairly new to this web lit thing but plan on looking into it. Had not really thought of making money off it but that could be a very nice bonus.

And yeah I love the idea of getting read, even if I don't make money. I think it might help me as I was saying with getting motivated to really finish my stories.

I already signed up on that site, gonna work on setting up a blog and fixing up my profile there in the next day or two. Then I'll see what stuff I got ready to post or ready to get moving on.

Thanks for the tip and all
Old 12-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Lin

Rory, *there is also a "New Media" group on the Writer's Digest *network*
http://writersdigest.ning.com/group/newmediawriters
And they have a group for serial writing *
http://writersdigest.ning.com/group/...fserialwriting

Both offer advice and a place to ask questions about this sort of thing. *There are other groups on Writers Digest that might be of interest and help to you.

Ning groups are great for meet-ups, discussion and promotion, not so hot for feedback and criticism. *For that you're better of here.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media