WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

who do you love?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I don't know about all this woman age like fine wine stuff. Plenty of women refuse to age gracefully -- they go out of their way to look younger and it usually backfires.

And I know plenty of young women who are mature and have their priorities straight -- and it's not a given that those will come with age either. It's like anything else -- it depends on the person.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 01-30-2013 at 09:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
I don't know about all this woman age like fine wine stuff. Plenty of women refuse to age gracefully -- they go out of their way to look younger and it usually backfires.

And I know plenty of young women who are mature and have their priorities straight -- and it's not a given that those will come with age either. It's like anything else -- it depends on the person.
oh absolutely, JM, absolutely. there are ALWAYS exceptions to a rule. generally speaking though, it does become more and more difficult to communicate meaningfully (and, it must be said, intimately) with 25 year olds the further you yourself are from that age. things get decidedly pear shaped once you get past about 35, and I think this is probably because many of us are into the second phase by then. ie, parenting! whether we're immature or fabulously wise at the point, the fact remains that once you're knee deep in diapers and mortgages you've effectively moved to a different universe. can be hard to find common ground with the young and carefree

as regards cougars (aka, mutton dressed as lamb), I feel for them. there's clearly a self worth deficit involved - not helped at all by trying to compete with women half their age. the most attractive (and bearing in mind I don't find women attractive sexually, so this is purely clinical) older women to my eyes are those that are physically fit and confident enough to shave their head, or have grey hair, or wear sensible shoes, or go without makeup. the funny thing is that such women almost always look younger than 'youngified' women of the same age. heavy makeup and dyed hair being generally associated with grannies. on the other hand, clean skin, physicality (ie, bouncing fitness), and confidence are more usually associated with youth. oh how I love irony
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I don't think a mature 25 year-old that big of an exception. That's more true of women, who in my experience tend to grow up a little faster.

Otherwise -- yes -- it's two different things -- maturity and having something in common. While having children usually makes a difference, the former doesn't necessarily come with age. Or ever.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

I think moving into the family phase shifts priorities profoundly. While this doesn't always manifest in social habits to a profound degree, it can't help but tell. There's a fundamental shift from living internally, to living externally. Or rather, a shift from 'me' to 'them'.

Of course, 'maturity' has nothing to do with it. I find some 25 year olds so carefully mature that they're as dull as dishwater. Conversely I find some 45 year olds delightfully free to be kids again. Someone old, wise, and famous once said "when I grew up, I put away childish things ... and the first (or worst?) of these was the desire to appear grown up" or words to that effect

the freedom to be authentic (as opposed to 'mature') definitely comes with age - for most of us. some are lucky enough to find it young, most aren't.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 380

Ah yes, 'how low can you go?' Back when I was in the retirement home there was a guy there who would have have ages measured in inches up his wall. To determine his prowess he would limbo under a bar at each height in turn and whatever height he could limbo under was the age of the person he felt he still had the energy to pursue. The big problem was once he fell in love with one of the nurses, she was 25 and he was not that flexible anymore. He is unable to limbo anymore. Poor fucker.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
LA GOBFREY (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Being a teacher I am very much aware of age, especially when I was newly qualified and not much older the nthe studetns that I was teaching.
Although now I am older my age range is 30 - 40 ( I am 30 myself) but I have very young parents (both are in early 50's) and find that any older then 40 is too close to thier age which is to me a little wierd.

I have tried dating younger men but found that they just irritated me and had very little in the way of conversation (although I am sure that this is not the case for all those younger then 30)

In theory I have nothing against big age gaps between partners but its just not for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by bumhead View Post
There's a fundamental shift from living internally, to living externally. Or rather, a shift from 'me' to 'them'.
Heh. Tell me about it. I was married and a father at 23 and made the shift pretty successfully, I think. A year before that I was skipping class and doing bong hits in my dorm room.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
He is unable to limbo anymore. Poor fucker.
was his name Abe Simpson? because he's who I pictured trying to limbo 19.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Heh. Tell me about it. I was married and a father at 23 and made the shift pretty successfully, I think. A year before that I was skipping class and doing bong hits in my dorm room.
that must have given you a hurry up

I didn't get breedy til my 30's, and even then wasn't ready. then again, who is ever ready for kids
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Yep. We had a bun in the oven. Or Easter before Lent, as my dad said.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

("...well now, they do say opposites attract, so I love just the captain as she commanded..." confided the goblin, not knowing if humans would understand such intricacies, adding "...though I suspect her true love is actually housework, to which I make some accommodation true, but only where and when my cloak of invisibility has failed me, otherwise it's a body that goes through the motions to a mind that goes through elsewhere, no she probably thinks that she married some potted plant stuck in front of a laptop, or whatever sane people interpret writing to be, but she'd probably admit that it's ok, after all talking to plants is good for one I suppose...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 01-31-2013 at 12:26 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

so, Fleabee, is mrs F older or younger? n by any great margin?

my him indoors is two years my junior. not much of a stretch.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

("...I'm older but there's not much in it..." replied the goblin)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe