WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

How has your writing evolved and where is it headed?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM
moops (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default How has your writing evolved and where is it headed?

I've recently settled into writing short fiction about drugs, sex, youth culture, and alienation in a detached and surreal style. It's taken me 1.5 years of serious writing, 5 short stories, and a million aborted drafts to get to this point, but I think I've hit a 'groove' of sorts.

That being said, I've decided to test my mettle against more experimental forms. In a year, I hope to have evolved my current aesthetic into something resembling a hybrid of 任逍遥 meets vapourwave in prose form.

Strangely enough, the first short stories I wrote were satirical fanfictions of this ridiculous dude on a men's fashion forum.

How about you guys, what did you guys start off writing, how has your writing evolved, and where do you hope to take it?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Mine began with cursive. Wide ruled pages and a really really big pencil. From there it developed to smaller ruled pages and a number 2 pencil. As time passed I eventually was given a pen and paper with no lines. And here I am today!

Mine actually began in the third grade where I did a book report on the significance of watersheds in underdeveloped Asian countries. To this day that very paper is still encased in a special glass housing at the entranceway to the Pflugerville Elementary School for the gifted in Pflugerville, Tx. In the ninth grade I translated Huxleys Doors of Perception from Latin to French and then to English complete with footnotes and corresponding bibliography. The research was exhausting leaving me for little time to further my scientific experiments in the field of frontal cortex response to electric stimulii. My sisters cat took the opportunity of my down time to run off leaving me to substitute his disappearnce with mothers Parrot, Elwood. Ungrateful bird.

During my doctorial dissertation on the effectiveness of pschotropic drugs in the treatment of severly disturbed mental patients I came to the conclusion that I would be better served in my research if I took the drugs and wrote from experience rather than theory, observation and conjecture. For some reason there is an eleven year gap in my memory following the experiment.

Now, when I am allowed to, I write for the sheer joy of it.

Last edited by Gaines; 01-05-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

I started when I found I had read too many books, and seen too many movies where the stories/plots just kinda fizzled out, and characters didn't do what I thought they should've done, just so it fit nicely into the plot.

You can't put a character who can bend iron bars in a cage, and say: "well, he couldn't have saved the girl, because he was in a cage!" and then have the girl die to further the plot. He can bend bars, and would've fucked up the murderers if he had broken free; stop being so sloppy, writers! (I'm mainly talking about films here, especially adapted films).

That kind of shit happens too often in films (although in less obvious ways, and less often in books, but still often enough to annoy me), and I always thought "pfft! what bollocks, I could write better than that," so I tried to, and to begin with, it too, was bollocks, badly worded, and full of grammatical errors. I realised it is a lot harder to write that I thought, but I was hooked by then, and couldn't stop. Here I am, probably about two years into my writing career, without a lot to show for it, apart from a MUCH better understanding of the English language, and a passion for fashion... uh, I mean good writing.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
KyanderuEponine (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 11

I started writing as a young child. I grew to love it when I started reading novels before my entry to high school. My exposure to campus journalism got my writing talent to develop more and more.
I don't really consider myself as an expert in the field. But I'm just glad that I was blessed with talent by heart.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
MightieMousie (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 36

Interesting question.
My first (not even remotely serious) stab at writing was an outlandishly mocking erotic farce, written with a friend. We did more laughing than writing. The title should say it all... Sluts in Space.

It was many years later that I sat down to write in earnest. That attempt resulted in 200 pages of a novel, that through a string of unfortunate events and a harsh lesson about computers (it was my first computer too,) was chewed up and spit out after a botched compare and replace destroyed a couple months of work. It was a moderately graphic romance novel, though the sex was few and far between.
Since then I have written in fits and starts, with the vast majority resulting in unfinished works.
These past two years I have been more active and have a better appreciation for my own work, whereas in the past I thought it was mostly crap with a few good parts, I have come to realize that not everyone can do what we do. (Excuse me for lumping myself in with better writers, *grins*, but I need the ego boost!)
I do not think I have been writing seriously long enough to see an evolution of content as much as I have seen an evolution of style. I have become more confident that my own voice is interesting, if not always easy to read.
I still enjoy romance, erotica, horror and fantasy, and I find myself blurring the lines between them. I also like to make people laugh, so some of that gets tossed in there as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Lin

It didn't evolve. It was created by a super-intelligent divine being.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Pidgeon (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 23

I'd say it got deeper, vocab got bigger. As read more books and hear more music my writing style takes a little bit of everything in.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 AM
TheSummerSon (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

I was a real bad student, I mean like the worst. I left with 1 O level. But I remember getting a double A+ for a short story I wrote in English one time. The teacher was a real enthusiastic gal and she said I had a talent at drawing out suspense and had I ever given thought to writing when I left school, like as a journo for example. Well with virtually no grades, I was never gonna get to do it as a job, other than by writing scripts or books. That's wher mine began anyways.
Where's it headed...down the pan if I don't get a grip and spend less time on forums...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Eurlo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
It didn't evolve. It was created by a super-intelligent divine being.
lol!!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 AM
SunnyE (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I actually started writing poetry, then into autobiographical stuff in my teens (along with poetry). Now I'm writing YA fantasy, although I write short stories for competitions that are generally more along the thriller lines. I almost never write poetry anymore.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Lin

I think poetry and journaling are gateways that bring a lot of writers into the activity, then maybe get burned behind them.

I'm preparing two books of poems for publication and going over them saying, "What was I THINKING? And why don't I think like that anymore?"
Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Jats (Offline)

Thanks 1,142

How has your writing evolved and where is it headed?
Jats puzzles on that "...no whether it's got better is a moot point yet it was always an escape when we were allowed to write freely with no constraints, simply 'write a story' no enforced titles, subjects, prose or words to be contained, neither too how long, how short, just off you go with freedom to pick anything at random to write about and be lost until it's gone, no that hasn't changed..." smiles Jats curled up by the fire "...as to where it is headed now, who knows, why if you had asked me recently I would have said it would have been gong down a dark melancholic road of adventures to be told and yet here we are now, warm, happy and still trying to take on the world with a smile, so I'll stick to livewriting then, for without it I wouldn't be here in the first place now would I..."

Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Lin

How about "I vandalize property because I don't have anything to say that's worth listening to"?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Khym (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default From stories to scripts

I've dabbled with writing fiction for a long time but a few years ago a friend who is an amateur film maker recruited me to work on one of his projects. During one of the innumerable meetings he and I and the rest of the cast and crew had Robert suggested that I might want to try writing a script. I did and discovered how much more satisfying it was to work mostly with dialog and brief scene descriptions. Rather than having to describe a scene outside on a dark and stormy night all I had to do was write "Ext. Dark stormy night." The details are for the director and cinematographer to worry about.

And, I've also realized that once a script is written it isn't then too difficult to add all the stuff I find boring, like describing a dark and stormy night, and turn the script into a novel.

For the next little while I'm going to explore script writing and see if it's what I want to do with my writing.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Jats (Offline)

Thanks 1,142

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
How about "I vandalize property because I don't have anything to say that's worth listening to"?
...oh very good...yes I have been reading you with a different eye of late, no some one always listens Lin they always do...

Thread titles you will never see: jats - "I am no longer going to make incoherent posts"
Jats enjoys a brief quiet moment fresh from watching his own private wildlife documentary in the vegetable patch where a gang of wasps swooped in attacking the caterpillars who were munching the broccoli with one wasp pumping his venom into its chosen victim and then the rest, picking up the scent, swarming around it and slowly devouring it like a pride of voracious lions before zooming off again, their bellies full "...interesting how ourdearmedia now are latching on to 'trolling' isn't it and FaceTwit being mentioned all the time as they move in with their own accounts, every tom dick and corporate having one now which they plug incessantly, YouTube too now littered with adverts and copyright claims, P2P's being shut down and facing legal claims against them, makes you wonder doesn't it, where all this is heading, not to mention the perils of blogging then..." Jats ruminates scratching his hairy chin, readying for a shit, shave and a shower before putting on today's disguise to be able to walk amongst the humans again "...and where will it all end as the underground is seduced by the dollar until it too becomes mainstream, controlled, contrite, on message, anything unique lost in a formulaic sea of detritus, so, where to find solace then, where can one speak freely without any reprisal, only here on forum-land it seems, the last survivor of the brave new world of social media still wallowing in it's acidic acrimonious apathy refusing to give in...well as long as you don't get caught saying anything too coherent that is..."

Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67

Short horror --> Poetry --> Long High Fantasy --> Dramatic Trauma (a.k.a Science Fiction/Horror)

So yeah ... looks like I actually came full circle.

Check out my Blog at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
KyanderuEponine (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 11

Thinking of writing some stories or literature targeted to the mature audience. I think I consider myself evolved in a way. haha

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe