WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

An "I Give Up" Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67
Default An "I Give Up" Thread

I don't really have anywhere to say this stuff, so the mods can feel free to delete as needed. At least I'll get this off my chest.

My second book, The Seraphim Protocol, went into a 90-day review with a small publisher back in October. As expected, the 90-day review period has come and gone with no word. I emailed them and let them know I could provide any information they might need and asked if they had any edits or changes they would like to see. No response.

My first book, The Fey Dragon Chronicles, died a horrible death on my shelf after I sent approximately 500 letters of inquiry. (At that time it was a pure manual process, just that part cost me in the range of $110.)

Yesterday I posted a short story to my blog. I had to ask my wife twice to read it.

In the 30+ years I've been writing, I've managed to amass a platform of 2.5 readers. The only person that's read The Seraphim Protocol, I had to beg to read. The scene I posted here fell off the first page twice (once the first time, the second time after I bumped it). My blog is a graveyard (hell, my own wife doesn't even subscribe to it).

So while sitting there last night looking for free photographs I could use to try to make a cover for The Seraphim Protocol, I realized that I have to be honest with myself. The time I spend writing is better spent elsewhere like coaching youth sports. A person can't play in the NBA if all they do is play by themself in the driveway. Likewise a person can't become a writer by posting their stuff on the refrigerator door.

Stephen King likes to talk about how hard it was for him to get published. But the thing is, he had Tabitha pulling his stuff out of the garbage and sending it in. The things he thought were trash (Carrie), she believed in. That's far more than many writers will ever have.

So to those of you who have beta readers, send them something nice and thank them for the support.

Myself, I'm hanging up my writing hat and look forward to see everyone's work on the shelves of Barnes & Noble.

Check out my Blog at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Ach! No! Really?! No! Don't give up! *throttles Webgoji*

Oh, *ahem* sorry 'bout that.

No! I'll connect to your blog, toss you into my blogroll mix! *nods vigorously*

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Devon; 01-10-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
MightieMousie (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 36

You feel pretty bummed out right now and that is understandable.
What drives you though? Is it getting published? Making money at it? Or telling stories, creating something? Entertaining people? Praise?
I am not asking flippantly, I sincerely want to know.
You have been writing for 30+ years... I honestly do not believe that what you are after is the first two, but rather one of (or a combination of) the last three. The dedication it takes to keep at something for such a length of time is not something that is spawned by a desire for fame or money, it is a genuine creative spirit and a joy for what you create. (I could be wrong about that, but I would be surprised.)

If I may make a suggestion... refocus. Let go of the external BS and find the joy again. Write because you love it, because what you are writing turns you on. The rest will come... if it is meant to, but if you are doing what you love it won't be a waste of your time. Think of it, you have spent 30+ years doing something you love. In my book that is awesome.

Don't give up, you won't be happy with yourself if you do.

On another topic:
Is there more to Overkill than just hatred? Is there a wounded soul behind the fangs, claws and fur?

Last edited by MightieMousie; 01-10-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
wildchild (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Myself, I'm hanging up my writing hat and look forward to see everyone's work on the shelves of Barnes & Noble.
Keep your writing hat on and put away that "published writer" hat that you bought 30 years ago and have been waiting to wear ever since. 99% of writers will never be able to wear that hat.

I'm in a writing slump. I haven't written for enjoyment in years. I still consider myself a writer but just one who at the moment doesn't write. Part of me stopping also had to do with the discouragement of not being able to sell anything.

Look for a new indicator of personal validation. Are there any people anywhere that enjoy reading what you write? This site, for instance? If so, then write for them. Before long you might realize that you receive as much satisfaction hearing that someone liked what you wrote as you think you would get by selling it.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

Why would you ever do anything but write for fun? Publishing is a bonus. Certainly don't quit the day job and curl out a stinker on the boss man's desk before you're sure you can make a living out of your writing. And when I say 'sure' I mean offers. Multiple offers.
If you consider your career separate from your writing, until you get other offers, you will never need to hang up your writing hat.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

See? See?? So many members are against you quitting, so you can't. *sticks tongue out*

And I really do mean it; I'll blogroll you, if you'd like. Since last Saturday, I've gotten 120 views (no, no bots . . . well, one) on my post #6, and a few people are digging through past/recent others. People are bound to see yours, too, if I add you to my list.

Who am I? A current nobody. But couldn't hurt to try, right? And hey, my husband doesn't subscribe to my blog, either. But I know he doesn't have time, not that he doesn't care. Well, all right, maybe he doesn't care. But, oh well.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 01-10-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Lin

well, I hate to keep suggesting the obvious, but why don't you just PUBLISH it???? You spent $110 bucks fucking around with the agent/pubco system. And how much time? You could be way ahead if you had just PUBLISHED YOUR FUCKING WORK.

I very strongly hold that publishing your own work should be the first resort, not the last. But people still hold to the old "try everything, then settle for publication on your own terms" crap.

Well, if you are THINKING OF GIVING THE FUCK UP.... sounds like you've tried everything. Instead of giving up, why not start up. Why not put your stuff out where people can buy it and see how it flies?

Jeez
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Devon (01-11-2013), fleamailman (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I think he left. . . .

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Lin

Gave up?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Maybe. *sigh*

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Crump (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 254

I feel certain Webgoji will be back; he has a point of view that demands attention. On a lighter note, I wonder who the .5 of a reader is? A mini fan perhaps?

Our own right hand the chains must shiver.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

Right on Lin... the traditional route sucks. If I had to do it that way then I would quit.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...well now, if you do give up, then doesn't your dailylife win in your place now..." ventured the goblin, adding "...yet, you remember when I asked you to join me on that edit thread, where instead you held back now holding dearly onto your outdated ebooks and blogging ways thinking that somehow readers would still go to you for your inflexibility, well they haven't have they, and yet each of your blog entries, together with bits out of your ebook too, could simply be revamped for forum readership...", in fact, the goblin appreciated Webgoji for his wit in his posts, yet he, like so many other personas here, had not seen what their posts offered by way of readership, whereupon the goblin asked one last time "...well now human, why not write with me in posts, as there are increasingly more readers on this forumland than there are in either those ebooks or blogs, where together we can pool our readership between us, and where our the thread will gain 100,000hits by april, just two years since it started, and at no cost too, so why do you hesitate still, simply adjust that which you have written already to forumland today and your readership will soar by it...", in fact, the goblin knew that many personas here had blogs and ebooks hoping that readers here might go to them then, yet most readers just stayed put, why, because the line to remember is listen, if you won't entice your readers with your posts directly, then why should those readers feel obliged to you to go to anything that you have written for them elsewhere, surely your posts must merit it first)

Last edited by fleamailman; 01-14-2013 at 01:52 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

If you’re reading this thread Web…take a week or two, and think about this. You may have a good book, but you just may not know how to navigate through the maze of the publishing industry.
It’s common for writers to work two life times before things click. Most agents have student readers who are instructed to look for certain points in query letters. Agents get between 5,000. And 10,000 query submissions a day. Your query may be read by a student reader who just doesn’t like your name, or not read half the queries. Reading queries is a boring, low paid job.
Here is a writer you may have read about;
Arthur Golden. The year, 1999. This writer survived ten years of rejection on the same book. Two complete rewrites. Author Golden knew…When you become a writer there is no time limit…it is a commitment for life…WIN OR LOSE…commitment for life.
One day a student reader read his query, and put it in the “You should read this box on the agents desk.” Name of Mr Goldens manuscript? Memoirs of a Geisha. It mot only became a best seller, it also became a movie.
I’m not saying you have mastered writing yet. I’m not saying your manuscript is even ready. I’m not even saying you do, or don’t know how to navigate the maze of the publishing industry. What I am saying…thirty years is not two life times.
Recall…”Winners never quit, and quitters never win.” Teach this to your children as a living example.
Domenic
Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Lin

Then there's the one about "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result:

It's a VERY, EXTREMELY low percentage shot.

Instead of quitting, the thing to do is widen the view, look into every avenue that will get you what you want.

Which entails figuring out what you want. What's your goal? Being a best-seller? Making a living with your writing? Being on a big publisher's list? Being an active writer with a fanbase?

Figure it out. Then figure out your chances, and what fits in with it. Start turning over more than one stone.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67
Default Back for a while

Well everyone, after a very long discussion with my wife, I'm going to continue writing. She has pledged to be more supportive and to read my work and give me feedback. Ergo, I've started publishing my short stories to my blog. (Which is funny that the most hits I've ever had started because I wrote a short story about a friend.)

So once my wife reads the final draft of The Seraphim Protocol, I'll ePublish it to Smashwords and will shortly follow it up by ePublishing The Fey Dragon Chronicles. Then my work begins in earnest on Advent Overkill.

While my second goal in writing is to get published, my primary goal is to write stories for people to read. I strive to bring joy to others through my writing ... by ... er ... scaring them. My joy in writing comes from the enjoyment of others. If I can make others happy, then I'm happy. Since my wife has pledged to take a more active roll, I'll keep writing.

If anyone is interested in the short stories I've been writing on my blog, they're available here:

http://webgojiramblings.wordpress.com/ (also in my signature)

I have the short stories titled Harold the Cat and the Mysterious Case of the Missing Tail Fur and Nobody Floats Down Here on the way.

Check out my Blog at:

Last edited by Webgoji; 01-21-2013 at 04:32 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I strive to bring joy to others through my writing ... by ... er ... scaring them.
Yes! My kind of writer.

May I blogroll you, then, now? Pleeeeease?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Yes! My kind of writer.

May I blogroll you, then, now? Pleeeeease?
I would be honored if you put me in your blogroll! Thank you so much for the offer Devon!

Check out my Blog at:

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Yay! Will do, then. I've had about 700+ (?) views to my blog since I re-opened it back in November. Probably twenty-five to thirty-five percent of that, I suspect (again, I'm just guessing), have been bots, but most of them have been real people with real comments, both on-blog and elsewhere.

I aim to support other writers. Ones with strong voices and cool stories to tell.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...glad to see you back..." went the goblin ever supportive here, adding "...you do good posts but you have no confidence in your talent because of some outdated notion that keeps thinking readers should go to you just because to date readers have gone to the authors in either downloading their ebooks or by visiting their websites, but as more and more readers turn up on forumland the dynamics are changing and they are increasingly too lazy to go off the forum to anywhere now, much like you yourself have admitted to us, and experienced first hand too...", at which point the goblin broke off for moment just to get the next bit right to himself before saying "...I will never be known, I die anonymously then, but you in my place could well be the first livewriter to make big of forumland, why, because everyone comes onto forums to get involved with what's going on, to read directly those posts that interest them and then to reply where motivated to, simply it's punch and judy today where we are the puppet-masters between us, yes my views are radical but they are now without some reason behind them...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 01-21-2013 at 01:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Webgoji (01-22-2013)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe