WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Anyone familiar with these areas in the US?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 219
Default Anyone familiar with these areas in the US?

Greeley Colorado or Lexington Nebraska?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

I grew up near Greeley. I lived in Ft. Collins, Ft. Morgan, Loveland, and Denver which are all close by. It isn't a bad town but I will warn you that there is a slaughterhouse there and the smell of cow manure can add a certain aroma to the town if the wind is blowing from the wrong direction.

The rent should be considerably cheaper than in Denver, Loveland, or Ft. Collins and you aren't that far from the mountains. PM me and I will try and answer any of your questions that I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enrigo For This Useful Post:
donnaf (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

no, but that second one sounds cold

what's the reason for your research, if I may ask?
The Following User Says Thank You to bumhead For This Useful Post:
donnaf (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

I finally found out where my relocation options are and those 2 are on the list. I am looking for rental homes in these towns or in the surrounding areas.

Enrigo: The slaughter house is probably the one I will be working at. After twelves years with the USDA I hardly notice it now. I have looked online at places such as Rent.com at houses in the areas you mentioned. A lot of the homes rent for around $800 to 1500 a month, according to the site. Is that an accurate picture of what to expect?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

interesting!

Speaking as an outsider, who gleans all socioeconomic and geographical intelligence from the tv, Colorado seems significantly more civilized than Nebraska. And it has mountains! lots and lots of mountains
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

Originally Posted by bumhead View Post
interesting!

Speaking as an outsider, who gleans all socioeconomic and geographical intelligence from the tv, Colorado seems significantly more civilized than Nebraska. And it has mountains! lots and lots of mountains
The mountains ARE quite appealing. My hubby is pushing for Colorado and after reading some comments on a board about Lexington/North Platte I am leaning that way too, tho I am very worried if I will find affordable housing.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

seems as though affordable housing is an ever growing problem in countries which should be doing well. we have same problem here. we call it 'the working poor' problem. ie, despite full time employment, some are still unable to afford a mortgage or rent in an area of choice. sometimes even in areas they dont choose. it's pretty ordinary :/
donnaf (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

Originally Posted by donnaf View Post
A lot of the homes rent for around $800 to 1500 a month, according to the site. Is that an accurate picture of what to expect?
That is probably pretty accurate. Unfortunately, I no longer live around there. The way to think about it is the farther from the mountains the cheaper the rent. Of course that is a generalization. There are some smaller towns nearby that are within 10 or 15 miles that might be more affordable.

I would definitely opt for Greeley. There just isn't anything near North Platte except snow, wind, and the occasional tornado. Been through there many times. Greeley is a college town, the University of Northern Colorado, and there are 2 other college towns nearby, Ft Collins and Boulder. Loveland is a big art town. And Denver is not that far away, always things to do there.

As for the mountains, you can do a day trip up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. It is gorgeous up there. Might even get lucky and see some bighorn sheep
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by Enrigo View Post
That is probably pretty accurate. Unfortunately, I no longer live around there. The way to think about it is the farther from the mountains the cheaper the rent. Of course that is a generalization. There are some smaller towns nearby that are within 10 or 15 miles that might be more affordable.

I would definitely opt for Greeley. There just isn't anything near North Platte except snow, wind, and the occasional tornado. Been through there many times. Greeley is a college town, the University of Northern Colorado, and there are 2 other college towns nearby, Ft Collins and Boulder. Loveland is a big art town. And Denver is not that far away, always things to do there.

As for the mountains, you can do a day trip up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. It is gorgeous up there. Might even get lucky and see some bighorn sheep
SOLD!!

you moonlight for Colorado Tourism?

seriously, it definitely sounds a case of 'no competition'
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Volvo802 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Colorado, for sure!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 AM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

I faxed my choices to the HRO yesterday and Colorado was the number one pick. Now to see if I get that one or if one of the other offlines takes it.

Enrigo: Thanks for the pm. It was very nice of you to look in the paper for me. I saw that listing online and it was one of the things that nudged me toward opting for Greeley--that there are some places in my price range. Even if I end up paying considerably more than I am now it will be worth it as my other choices are not at all to my liking. Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Enrigo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 48

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enrigo For This Useful Post:
donnaf (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by donnaf View Post
I faxed my choices to the HRO yesterday and Colorado was the number one pick. Now to see if I get that one or if one of the other offlines takes it.

Enrigo: Thanks for the pm. It was very nice of you to look in the paper for me. I saw that listing online and it was one of the things that nudged me toward opting for Greeley--that there are some places in my price range. Even if I end up paying considerably more than I am now it will be worth it as my other choices are not at all to my liking. Thanks again!
good luck with the move, donnaf
donnaf (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

Thanks. Hoping to hear soon where the move will be to but I guess I won't know anything until the other 3 inspectors get their forms filled out and sent in. Hopefully they will be snappy about it.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe