WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Freedom of Speech.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 719

Actually, I rewrote your words, Ed.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

You miss my point, Mohican. I know who doesn't have the temerity to put 'censored' in place of what I said, but as a Mod you speak for Admin.

When they give you the authority they have to take responsibility, so RedLorry's, "Who? Me?" is BLEEP - CENSORED.

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 07-10-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
If the above is true, why was communism treated like an infectious disease by McCarthy? Why did Animal Farm face a ban by the British government due to not wanting to upset our friend (as he was regarded then) Stalin? Why was Solzhenitsyn locked up for 20 years for criticising the government - in personal letters?
Different era, different social and political climate. But you know that.

I'm sure you've read 1984 and remember the principles of Newspeak; you control the proles by controlling how they think, and you control how they think by controlling their language.

That, Joe, is the 'so what'.
The "so what" was rhetorical -- not an indication of how I feel about the importance of free expression. I think you probably know that too. Otherwise, you're making my point -- the thoughts of "proles" are controlled -- not literally by government censorship, but by the political parties and corporations. Along with the media, they all benefit from keeping people distracted with phony bipartisan conflict. Of course, there are voices in the wilderness, but people can't be bothered seeking them out.

Would you prefer the alternative? Would you prefer a society where to speak your mind carried the risk of being banned? Sorry, I meant imprisoned. Or tortured, or killed.
You know the answer to that.

We have precious few freedoms left and authorities are happy to keep chipping away at them, knowing the meek majority will say "well ok, if you say its bad, you guys know better and all" and let them take another freedom from you. You only have to look at Homeland Security to see the truth in that, or the general response to the removal of the IT for that matter.
Pretty much what I was saying. Just a different distraction. People will only pay attention when the freedom of free expression is overtly stifled -- but by then it might be too late.

freedoms have to be exercised or they either whither and die, or gat taken away, and if people try to take them away we should be manning the metaphorical barricades and saying NO.
If you haven't seen it, check out an awesome movie on the this subject I just saw -- Lives of Others -- about an East German playwright who more or less tows the party line -- but then something happens to a friend -- a blacklisted writer -- that makes him at least take steps toward speaking out. The other main character is a the Stasi agent assigned to spy on him -- and how he has an attack of conscience. It's not that far fetched to say we could find ourselves living under a version of such regime in our lifetime.

As for the IT -- I look at it as being primarily for entertainment purposes. If I was compelled to speak out on a matter of importance, I probably wouldn't waste my time doing it on a subsection of some obscure corner of the internet frequented by a handful of people. It's well within the rights of the people who own the forum to control the content -- so I'm not buying a free speech argument when it comes to closing the IT. I have a feeling you don't either -- you're just fucking around.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-10-2014 at 11:35 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Franklin (07-10-2014), rockman (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Originally Posted by justcallmeed View Post
you miss my point, mohican. I know who doesn't have the temerity to put 'censored' in place of what i said, but as a mod you speak for admin.

When they give you the authority they have to take responsibility, so redlorry's, "who? Me?" is bleep - censored.
c-ya
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

I've been on a lot of poetry and lit-oriented sites, but never on a site where mods literally rewrite parts of your post.

very creative ...

in fairness, the rules do state that "excessive swearing" is not acceptable, but of course it isn't clear what "excessive swearing" means, and thus . . . voila! the occasional, surprise random "housecleaning" for our viewing experience. kind of odd.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockman For This Useful Post:
Franklin (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

There's one where profanity is automatically filtered. One of the most popular has zero tolerance for profanity.

The alternative is deleting the post. Of course, the other alternative is just to put on your thinking cap and keep swearing to a minimum. I realize that's subjective -- but I'm betting most people here have a pretty good idea what that means. And all the profanity just to get a rise of moderators is pretty dumb.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-10-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

well Joe, i don't think it's fair to say that all of the profanity posted in, say, the last couple of weeks was strictly "to get a rise out of moderators," but yes, i know what you're saying.

still, it seems too subjective to me. either spell it out a little more, or maybe just prohibit all profanity (wait, i did NOT just say that).
The Following User Says Thank You to rockman For This Useful Post:
Franklin (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

The last bit of 'profanity' of mine to be re-written by Mohican was the word 'balls'.

What's next? Weenie? Poot? Anyone who sticks around this kindergarten show deserves what they get.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustcallmeEd For This Useful Post:
Franklin (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I just said "fucking" and it's still there. Bagit said "fuck" in a recent post representing staff. I thought maybe they were just editing the posts where it was a deliberate attempt to provoke the mods. I didn't realize there was a general crackdown. Don't the rules still say "excessive profanity?"
Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Balls. Ballsballsballsballsballs.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

Temeritytemeritytemeritytemeritytemerity.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
The last bit of 'profanity' of mine to be re-written by Mohican was the word 'balls'.

What's next? Weenie? Poot? Anyone who sticks around this kindergarten show deserves what they get.
I think you've been captured, Ed. There's a black box on your posts. What a bad boy you are. Mohican is gonna put an arrow in your balls. Oops, I said 'balls'.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Yes, Ed failed to check the timiing of his own edit that he cried foul to. His own edit removed evidence of Mohican editing the post, and Redlorry came in a few minutes later thanking Ed for making the edit himself; she thought Ed had done the decent thing and edited his post himself.

Shame on Redlorry for thinking Ed had. y'know, actually done the decent thing.

For those members who have shown the decency to be able to move on, please stay on topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 07-10-2014 at 11:30 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 PM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

timing is everything..
Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
For those members who have shown the decency to be able to move on, please stay on topic.
Decency?

Interesting. Do the 'decent' thing, shut up, don't make waves, we know best...

And for those of us with the audacity to expect something else? This thread is about freedom of speech after all.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

You did state that you wanted these little mini debates to remain lighthearted chit-chat, Mike.

Now, either you want them moderated to comply to your wishes of lighthearted conversation, or you don't. If you don't want them moderated with consideration into a lighthearted conversation, then perhaps you need to move this debate over to Non Serviam's board that is geared towards a harder political debate.

Afterall resorting to personal insult to get a point across doesn't really cover the lighthearted chit-chat that you asked for.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 07-11-2014 at 01:42 AM..
Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 AM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

mini-debates ... heh.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Non Serviam's board that is geared towards a harder political debate.
And not just political! In fact the majority of debates running at the moment are on ethics rather than politics. We also offer topical debates on current affairs and the impact of technology as well as timeless questions of law, philosophy, religion, science, economics, social justice and diplomacy.

I remain hopeful that the new board can be a temporary measure. I've been disappointed to see some burning bridges of late.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (07-11-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
And not just political! In fact the majority of debates running at the moment are on ethics rather than politics. We also offer topical debates on current affairs and the impact of technology as well as timeless questions of law, philosophy, religion, science, economics, social justice and diplomacy.

I remain hopeful that the new board can be a temporary measure. I've been disappointed to see some burning bridges of late.
It's nice those upset with the current change have a way to stay connected in what they enjoy and to each other. I have been witness to other forums going through change and people often return after a little while so maybe not so much a total burn just a reaction to the action. We can all hope for that, losing forum peeps is no fun even if we don't always agree. Like I just read in another thread, "to each their own" and I'll add "a pinch of kindness" to that. There's a schweet recipe. Corny, yes?
Whiskers (07-14-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 120
Icon8 Freedom of Speech

Keeping perfect time

Book Burning

It's the sense of the time
and the object is to keep
right on moving