WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.


My Ideal [Rural] Town...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default My Ideal [Rural] Town...


I wouldn't mind living in the city but in case I cannot; This is what my idea of a perfect town would be: There would be a two lane U.S. Highway as the only road in and out. Running along that highway, would also be a railroad mainline with a siding track spanning the entire length of the town. The highway would become the main street in the center of the town. Both entrances two this town would have a caution light. There would also be a grocery store, a hardware store and a general store all along the highway (main street) with the railroad passing in their alley. These stores would definitely have all of their supplies received by rail. One of the entrances would have a railroad depot that doubles as a passenger terminal. On the other side of the main street, there would be a a restaurant, barber shop, mechanic's garage, farm supply store, library, church (Protestant or Evangelical), pharmacy, family doctor clinic, gun shop, post office, bank with ATM, filling station, wrecker service and some kind of locally owned electronics store. On both sides of the main street, there would be residential areas (beyond the alleys.) All of the stores would be closed on Sundays and only open half a day on Saturday. Every morning, all the old men would come and visit all the businesses and shoot the bull with everyone. There would be a police and fire department, both small, as there is very little crime or emergencies in this town. The fire department would receive their dispatches over a voice pager on VHF low band and their ground tactical channel would be on VHF high band portables. The police would have two channels, both on VHF high band. One would be for dispatch/NCIC. The other would be for tactical situations (which would sometimes be encrypted.) This would be to help citizens be aware of what goes on in their community. There would be a local AM station that plays country, pop (for the younger ones) and southern gospel on Sundays. The radio station would also broadcast local news and also have some kind of national/international news feed. There should also be some kind of plant or factory that is the center of this town's economy. Agriculture would also be a part of the economy. Its location should be somewhere in southwest Louisiana (but could be anywhere in the Southern U.S.)

__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericjohn For This Useful Post:
Mohican (07-09-2014)
  #2  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,117
Thanks: 99
Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C
Default

Why?
__________________
لا شيء يدوم‎
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

Are no Catholics or Jews allowed?

Otherwise, add a strip club and a sushi bar and I'm there.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-08-2014 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Are no Catholics or Jews allowed?

Otherwise, add a strip club and a sushi bar and I'm there.
No, everyone is allowed...Why do you insist on making trouble with me?

A strip club would NOT be allowed...
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 PM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Why?
What do you mean?
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,537
Thanks 908
Default

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
No, everyone is allowed...Why do you insist on making trouble with me?

A strip club would NOT be allowed...
may I ask why?
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,537
Thanks 908
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Are no Catholics or Jews allowed?

Otherwise, add a strip club and a sushi bar and I'm there.
for a minute you made them sound alike.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,117
Thanks: 99
Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C
Default

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
What do you mean?
I mean why? What's so special about your rural backwater, why does everything have to be precisely just-so?
__________________
لا شيء يدوم‎
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
No, everyone is allowed
OK. You just don't want them worshiping on main street.

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
A strip club would NOT be allowed...
How about a Hooters at least?

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
Why do you insist on making trouble with me?
What makes you think it's just you?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Mike C's Avatar
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,117
Thanks: 99
Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C
Default

Will there be a mosque?
__________________
لا شيء يدوم‎
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Redlorry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I already live in my ideal rural town. It's the boundary between the English countryside and a sprawling city, so we get the best of both worlds.

Everyone know everyone and you can't get up to much mischief without it becoming local news. But we have a great sense of pride over our little market town. Our local bridge turned 200 a couple of years ago and the celebrations were wonderful.

I love where I live. It's a great place for people of all ages. We have places to eat, a few night spots, a town football club, boutique shops.

Oh and last weekend was carnival, which is always fab!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Will there be a mosque?
If it was a real American small town -- chances are, there wouldn't be. Smaller communities have protested the building of mosques all around the country. In at least one town -- in Tennessee, I think -- they were successful in stopping one that was already under construction. You can imagine why -- stuff about sharia law and harboring terrorists etc. Land of the free, home of the brave etc. etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Pandora's Avatar
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 825
Thanks: 220
Thanks 261
Default

I like your rural town ericjohn sounds realistic and well planned. My daughter once said when we finished putting up the Christmas village, the size of a large conference table,

"Mom, I wish we lived there, there is no crime and everyone is good to each other" . . .

out of the mouth of babes.

And why can't that be?
__________________
"now I float away like honey in the sun"
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pandora For This Useful Post:
ericjohn (07-09-2014), Franklin (07-09-2014), Whiskers (07-09-2014)
  #14  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 4,179
Thanks: 382
Thanks 717
Default

I imagine this is an exercise tied into a writing project.

Eric is imagining his ideal small town, down to the frequencies that the police and fire department use.

Writers' Cafe is to be light in spirit, and friendly in tone. If a person had a different imagining of his/her perfect small town, he/she could compile it and post it.
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

Several of my short stories and my novel are based in a small, fictional southern town. Except the mill is closed -- and so have many of the businesses. So there are struggles and conflict -- poverty and meth and crime coming in from the big city. So it's not exactly Mayberry.

Here's an opening to one of my stores set in the town:

A man in black dismounted his motorcycle at the curb in front of the diner. He removed his helmet and raked his hand through his graying, shoulder length hair before sitting at a rusted wrought iron table at the edge of the sidewalk. He lit a cigarette and surveyed the square— the center of a typical small southern town: a white columned court house and clock tower, a cadre of looming oaks, a statue of some forgotten confederate hero.

Unlike the thriving small towns he’d visited near Atlanta, there were no trendy shops, galleries or sushi bars. It was farther south and far beyond that larger city’s circumference of convenience and suburban sensibilities. The place was in its death-throws, the victim of a Walmart or nearby mall, and an air of decay—warm, thick and humid—hovered over the town like a shroud.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-09-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Franklin's Avatar
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Valley of the Daughter of the Stars
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 797
Thanks 314
Default

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
I wouldn't mind living in the city but in case I cannot; This is what my idea of a perfect town would be: There would be a two lane U.S. Highway as the only road in and out. Running along that highway, would also be a railroad mainline with a siding track spanning the entire length of the town. The highway would become the main street in the center of the town. Both entrances two this town would have a caution light. There would also be a grocery store, a hardware store and a general store all along the highway (main street) with the railroad passing in their alley. These stores would definitely have all of their supplies received by rail. One of the entrances would have a railroad depot that doubles as a passenger terminal. On the other side of the main street, there would be a a restaurant, barber shop, mechanic's garage, farm supply store, library, church (Protestant or Evangelical), pharmacy, family doctor clinic, gun shop, post office, bank with ATM, filling station, wrecker service and some kind of locally owned electronics store. On both sides of the main street, there would be residential areas (beyond the alleys.) All of the stores would be closed on Sundays and only open half a day on Saturday. Every morning, all the old men would come and visit all the businesses and shoot the bull with everyone. There would be a police and fire department, both small, as there is very little crime or emergencies in this town. The fire department would receive their dispatches over a voice pager on VHF low band and their ground tactical channel would be on VHF high band portables. The police would have two channels, both on VHF high band. One would be for dispatch/NCIC. The other would be for tactical situations (which would sometimes be encrypted.) This would be to help citizens be aware of what goes on in their community. There would be a local AM station that plays country, pop (for the younger ones) and southern gospel on Sundays. The radio station would also broadcast local news and also have some kind of national/international news feed. There should also be some kind of plant or factory that is the center of this town's economy. Agriculture would also be a part of the economy. Its location should be somewhere in southwest Louisiana (but could be anywhere in the Southern U.S.)
With a few small differences in layout, you have described my town of the last 32 years, but so-called progress is rapidly turning it into a huge tourist attraction, especially when the leaves turn in the Fall. Sad, to me, but such is life. Nothing stays the same except in memory. Enjoyed visiting your town.
Paco
__________________
apagewriter.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Franklin For This Useful Post:
Mohican (07-09-2014)
  #17  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
may I ask why?

It would attract the wrong people to town and it is nasty, in my opinion. If people need sexual excitement (and we all do at some point or another) consider the want ads. Better yet; why not read erotic literature?
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
With a few small differences in layout, you have described my town of the last 32 years, but so-called progress is rapidly turning it into a huge tourist attraction, especially when the leaves turn in the Fall. Sad, to me, but such is life. Nothing stays the same except in memory. Enjoyed visiting your town.
Paco

I got some inspiration from the town of Vinton Louisiana and the layout of Noah's hometown in The Notebook.
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 4,179
Thanks: 382
Thanks 717
Default

My rural village has some similarities to Ericís.

A state highway as the major thoroughfare and the most used way in/out of the village. We have three township roads that enter/exit along with the state highway. There is a set of railroad tracks and a river. About a decade ago, bank robbers successfully navigated the river via canoe to secure their getaway.

The town lies in a valley between two hills. Geography and topography set a natural limit on the villageís size. It was here before the other local villages, but ran out of room. The village has been there for over one hundred and fifty years, settled by men that were so rough that their clothes wore out from the inside out. A lot of that roughness has stayed, along with a tendency toward home rule and a suspicion of outsiders.

My father told me that when he first moved to the village it was a place of four churches and eight bars. Now there are two bars and five churches. Businesses come and go, the town (financially) has diminished, but it holds on.
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 07-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: font size
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I imagine this is an exercise tied into a writing project.

Eric is imagining his ideal small town, down to the frequencies that the police and fire department use.

Writers' Cafe is to be light in spirit, and friendly in tone. If a person had a different imagining of his/her perfect small town, he/she could compile it and post it.
Thank you and yes you are correct about an exercise tied to a writing project.
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I mean why? What's so special about your rural backwater, why does everything have to be precisely just-so?
Just letting my imagination do the customizing, I guess. I can be quite technical at times.
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Are no Catholics or Jews allowed?

Otherwise, add a strip club and a sushi bar and I'm there.
You jump down my throat because of my plea for allowing public displays of affection in school, but would go to a strip club?

What is wrong with this picture?
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
OK. You just don't want them worshiping on main street.
Why did you even bring up those two particular groups?


Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
How about a Hooters at least?
Um, no...I don't think that is right either.
Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
What makes you think it's just you?
You make trouble with a lot of people but you sneak into my threads and hi-jack them. I don't know why...
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Will there be a mosque?
I don't want to start a religious conflict but I would definitely not want a mosque.
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
ericjohn's Avatar
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 371
Thanks: 242
Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn
Default

Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
I like your rural town ericjohn sounds realistic and well planned. My daughter once said when we finished putting up the Christmas village, the size of a large conference table,

"Mom, I wish we lived there, there is no crime and everyone is good to each other" . . .

out of the mouth of babes.

And why can't that be?
Christmas in my favorite holiday...

For the following reasons:
Worshipping Jesus.
Being with family.
All the good food.
The gifts are nice too
__________________
"The ability to provoke emotions is a wonderful gift."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericjohn For This Useful Post:
Pandora (07-10-2014)
  #26  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,392
Thanks: 441
Thanks 1,526
Default

Lighten up, ericjohn. It's a thread about a make-believe town. I've got one too, like I said. And I find that it's useful for writing my fiction. Try not to take yourself so darned seriously.

And no, I don't got to strip clubs. Often.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-09-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,537
Thanks 908
Default

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
With a few small differences in layout, you have described my town of the last 32 years, but so-called progress is rapidly turning it into a huge tourist attraction, especially when the leaves turn in the Fall. Sad, to me, but such is life. Nothing stays the same except in memory. Enjoyed visiting your town.
Paco
nothing wrong with a tourist
something wrong with one that is not.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,537
Thanks 908
Default

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
Christmas in my favorite holiday...

For the following reasons:
Worshipping Jesus.
Being with family.
All the good food.
The gifts are nice too
that one is the one is the best and so are the gifts of course.
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,537
Thanks 908
Default

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
It would attract the wrong people to town and it is nasty, in my opinion. If people need sexual excitement (and we all do at some point or another) consider the want ads. Better yet; why not read erotic literature?
I agree about giving the wrong idea to any person.
what are the want ads??

Originally Posted by ericjohn View Post
I got some inspiration from the town of Vinton Louisiana and the layout of Noah's hometown in The Notebook.
what is Noah's hometown?
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Franklin's Avatar
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Valley of the Daughter of the Stars
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 797
Thanks 314
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
nothing wrong with a tourist
something wrong with one that is not.
What's your point, other than your opinion? My opinion is that tourism and growth has changed my town--not for the better. I generally don't like change that is not an improvement, like fixing a pothole. But this thread is about eric john's vision of an ideal town. I was simply struck by the similarities to my town. But then, I'm seldom sure what exactly you are asking or opining. I can assure you that I don't hate tourists as individuals, as long as they bring money. If you visit to see the turning leaves, bring a rake.
__________________
apagewriter.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little Big Town Jim Colyer Lyrics 0 06-02-2013 07:31 PM
Insidious Essam Eldin Fiction 12 05-29-2013 09:32 AM
Little Big Town Jim Colyer Non-Fiction 0 05-06-2013 10:02 AM
The Trampled Rose Calvin1093 Fiction 5 06-11-2012 10:53 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:44 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.