WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Does it upset you when...

Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
heatherlynn24 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6
Send a message via AIM to heatherlynn24
Default Does it upset you when...

Does it upset anyone else when a person compares YOUR work to someone else?

What irks me is when a person says "Oh what's your book/poem/script/short story about? You tell them then they say "Oh so it's like so and so's." No, it's not like so and so's. It's something that is completely fictional from MY OWN MIND. Not from so and so's. MINE MINE MINE.

My novel has magic...witches and wizards. What do people automatically say to me? "So you copied Harry Potter." No I did not copy Harry flippin Potter!!!! Does J.K. have all rights to magic? Nobody else is allowed to use witches and wizards? GAH!

Okay, thank you for reading my rant and letting me vent off my steam.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Archimedes (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Archimedes Send a message via MSN to Archimedes

I totally understand. A year ago, I was writing a story about Demons and Angels, and someone asked if I was just copying off of Constantine. Kinda put me down.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
heatherlynn24 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

Isn't it just a huge kick in the gut. Granted the idea isn't original but come on. Just b/c you use something (such as magic or demons and angels) that has already been used doesn't mean that YOUR STORY isn't original.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Archimedes (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Archimedes Send a message via MSN to Archimedes

They're universal ideas, I don't see why the "famous" authors are the only ones who get to use those ideas. As long as the plots aren't extremely similar, then you have your own piece of fiction.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Lin

Damn right. *I get so sick of hearing all that, *"Wow, you're like Raymond Carver, but so much better" *and "Like Hunter Thompson, but more insightful" stuff.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Someone once told me "Kids will study you in college one day, like James Joyce."

It was kind of a warped compliment, he loved the writing but found the story incomprehensible.

I don't mind people comparing, but I'd hate people to say I copied. Particularly the insightful bugger who, early on, recognised which author -and book - had influenced my story.

I think I write like Lin, but with less asterisks.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Few things are original. We just combine things to make them 'original' - but that's not the point.

Of course, people will forever make comparisons. I don't think you can change that, so just say, 'perhaps', or nod politely and then, when they read it, they can judge for themselves.

Perhaps it's true, anyway. It IS like Harry Potter, because it does have magic and so forth. They aren't exactly saying it IS Harry Potter, or a copy of it, are they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Mr.Gryn (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 27

Yeah, I used to get a lot of: "Oh, that's sort of like Lord of the Rings" When I used to write fantasy. Annoying.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
heatherlynn24 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by SW View Post
Perhaps it's true, anyway. It IS like Harry Potter, because it does have magic and so forth. They aren't exactly saying it IS Harry Potter, or a copy of it, are they?
Oh they're saying I copied Harry Potter because of my use of witches and wizards. Nobody has even read my book yet. Not a soul. (besides myself of course) Which is what's really irritating.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Well then you know better, don't you? If they haven't read it, why should it bother you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Did Harry Potter not copy The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? Did The Da Vinci Code not copy The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail? Ignore people who say crap like that. As if Harry Potter was the first book to have witches and wizards. For Godsakes, it's been done for years. J.K.-I'm-stinking-rich-Rowling just made it popular to kids nowadays.

People like that are best seen and not heard. Or probably best not heard or seen.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Yeah, I used to get a lot of: "Oh, that's sort of like Lord of the Rings" When I used to write fantasy.
I get that now! Unfortunately, my work's not like Lord of the Rings at all. Tolkein was better. Lol.

Oh they're saying I copied Harry Potter because of my use of witches and wizards.
Then in that case, if it's only because of the use of witches and wizards, apparently you copied from a lot of other stories as well! Sheesh, when are people going to learn not to make comparisons and just enjoy the stories for what they are?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
heatherlynn24 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
J.K.-I'm-stinking-rich-Rowling just made it popular to kids nowadays.

People like that are best seen and not heard. Or probably best not heard or seen.
I just started laughing when I read that. Thanks I needed a good laugh.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

Tolkein was better. Lol.
Tolkein was a groundbreaker. But I find your work very enjoyable. Could be because your discription doesn't bog me down the way Tolkein's does. There were some scenes of his that I was flipping through the pages to see how much further I had to go to read some dialogue. How long can one man describe a mountain chain?

Anyways, not saying it's better than Tolkein, but it's not less either. It's enjoyable for its own unique reasons.

J.K.-I'm-stinking-rich-Rowling
LOL. Reminds me of Robot Chicken.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
ErnieMcGee (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 3

heatherlynn24 - I'm gonna help you out, sister. The next time you are over that person's house wait for them to leave the room and then set the parental blocks on their tv, block out all the channels and then put a random password.

Or (if you're a little evil)

Sign their home phone number up on a dozen telemarketing sites.

I call this ninja revenge, they have no idea you're doing it and you get to sit back and say, "Compare me to who? MWahahahahahahah"

Sit back, listen and enjoy:

Old 01-21-2010, 07:54 PM
heatherlynn24 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by ErnieMcGee View Post
heatherlynn24 - I'm gonna help you out, sister. The next time you are over that person's house wait for them to leave the room and then set the parental blocks on their tv, block out all the channels and then put a random password.

Or (if you're a little evil)

Sign their home phone number up on a dozen telemarketing sites.

I call this ninja revenge, they have no idea you're doing it and you get to sit back and say, "Compare me to who? MWahahahahahahah"
I could sign them up for the annoying telemarketer who has been calling me....or one of the million colleges that has been calling our house for our 17 month old boys. (I have no idea why colleges are calling for my toddlers...)
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

or one of the million colleges that has been calling our house for our 17 month old boys.
What?! That's just way bizarre. Lol!

But I find your work very enjoyable.
Thank you, Nemi.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
heatherlynn24 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
What?! That's just way bizarre. Lol!
I asked the last one who called if they knew how old my Brett and Eli were and they said, "Well no."

I laughed and said unless they were accepting toddlers who read their books upside down they were calling the wrong house. What did this woman say? "It's never to early to apply." I just hung up.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

I laughed and said unless they were accepting toddlers who read their books upside down they were calling the wrong house. What did this woman say? "It's never to early to apply." I just hung up.
Hahahahahaha! That's even more bizarre!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

The only people to call my house for my daughter was the RESP people. I did sign her up, but I've not had the pleasure of any colleges calling.

RE the Ninja revenge... It's one of those things that I love to hear about but could never actually do. *sigh*
Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Lin

Could have been worse. *Could have been the College of Cardinals telling your little boys it's never too early.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

LOL, just had to take it to that dark place, eh Lin?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Lin

Hey, I'm just trying to build up a buzz so people will compare my writing to crimewriter
Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

That level of magnificence? You've got your work cut out for you...
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 PM
liquidus118 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Send a message via MSN to liquidus118 Send a message via Skype™ to liquidus118

I know what you mean, but I actually haven't had such criticism yet, only noticed it myself.
Though like someone else said already I see originality as just a new perspective or new combination of what has gone before, so don't let it get you down; if your work is good then it should be judged by it's own merit
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
StudioNNNy (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

These is nothing out there that hasn't been done before. It's all about how you present it
Old 02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Lin

Well, no... if it's "out there" it's obviously been done.

If you mean nobody can come up with an idea that hasn't been done before, you are obviously and demonstrably incorrect and might consider unsubscribing to that hackneyed, damaging attitude.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Rowenny (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

My work has never been compared to something. No one just haven't done anything like this. So, I just don't know weather it irritates me or not. But, I guess, it would irritate me just a little if I would hear something like that.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Originally Posted by heatherlynn24 View Post
Does it upset anyone else when a person compares YOUR work to someone else?

What irks me is when a person says "Oh what's your book/poem/script/short story about? You tell them then they say "Oh so it's like so and so's." No, it's not like so and so's. It's something that is completely fictional from MY OWN MIND. Not from so and so's. MINE MINE MINE.
My writing has never been compared to anyone else's, though I myself can easily see the influence of my favorite authors in it. If someone said that I had a similar style or theme to someone else, I'd be interested and probably go out and read that person's stuff to see how they approached it.

If someone told me I was copying ideas or plots, I'd be irked, but I'd console myself that I knew my own stuff better than they did!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 864

I have had a few kind comparsions made with regard to my writing. Don't really mind it, and don't mind the unkind ones. What I hope for is that someday I can look at my work and say it is unique and original, be it published or not. Until such time, I shall take the voice I have and polish the puncutationless life out of it.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe