WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Portrayal of Real Life People In Crime Documentaries

Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM
DwayneA (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 6
Default Portrayal of Real Life People In Crime Documentaries

I've taken an interest in watching crime documentaries such as Britain's Darkest Taboos, Behind Mansion Walls, Deadly Women, etc. And one thing that catches my attention is how they portray different people on the show such as the murder victim and the killer.

Characters are supposed to be given shades of gray in order to make them more realistic just like in fiction. But most of the time, this is not true in crime documentaries. Most of the time, the victim is all white, the killer is all black. Most of the time, the victim has nothing to hate about them while the killer has nothing to like about them, no redeeming qualities. It's as if the producers are not interested in portraying the killer as a total monster and the victim as a pillar of the community.

For example, one of my favorite episodes of Britain's Darkest Taboos involves a teenage girl who was murdered by her uncle, a sex offender who had a sexual obsession with young girls. Another of my favorite episodes involves a woman who got involved with a turkish man who ultimately murdered her and her mother months after their wedding.

With these kind of shows, it is very easy to see who are the heroes and the villains. Standard good vs evil.

The Following User Says Thank You to DwayneA For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:03 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

It's as if the producers are not interested in portraying the killer as a total monster and the victim as a pillar of the community.
("...the above is a typo, as I think you meant that the producers are only interested in portraying the killer as a total monster and the victim as a pillar of the community..." mentioned the goblin imagining that television was indoctrinating the masses to think in black and white, just the dumbdown effect where if ever the viewers started reasoning those motives, moreover, if they started questioning the whole justice of it, then that might extend to other parts of today's society where injustice prevails, such as the american justice system where in most cases they don't go to trial because the cards are stacked up against with multi charges that one plead guilty to something if simply to avoid everything, sighing "...I don't know about the british justice system though, but I suspect it isn't far behind and is probably catching up now...")
Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

There's been a major effort over the past decade or so to dumb things down to reflect the level of viewership. Most news is written on a 7th or 8th grade reading level, because according to the U.S. Department of Educaiton, over fifty percent of American adults read at or below the 9th grade reading level. Plots are presented in black and white, because audiences rebel against too much complexity. It's also why you have nothing but garbage on the tele.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe