WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Character Creation Help

Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Shareallicu (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3
Icon10 Character Creation Help

I'm having trouble creating my other characters that my main character will work with. How many stereotypical characters is too many? is there a program or something that might help me develop them? I feel like I need to know them as much as I know my main characters before I can write them.. . :/

Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Error69 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 215

You shouldn't have any stereotypical characters, unless you're going for satire, at least in my opinion. You don't need to know them as well as you know your main characters, because a character you only see once for instance is never going to be as developed as a primary character.

I suppose there are programs or something, but I personally advise against them. Create it all yourself. Just make them realistic in their depictions. With me it flows easily, so I can't really give you any pointers other than let it flow.
Shareallicu (02-02-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Rocko (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

Try using people you've personally known or encountered, such as family members, friends, fellow workers, fellow worshipers, celebrities, historical figures, and parts of yourself as your source for character traits. For example, I used my son's seemingly fantastic inability to find a girlfriend who didn't have some serious problem as a template for a short story about a starship shipmate with the same problem. Used son's bemoanings as the main feature of the hapless shipmate's personality

Last edited by Rocko; 02-24-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

You shouldn't have any stereotypical characters
Except that occasionally you will encounter real people who do fit stereotypes perfectly. If it's a person that is plausible in the real world, why not in fiction? It just has to be in a context where it is believable, and allow for the fact that the elements of a person that are part of a stereotype are not all that the person is about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
ChibiEmmy (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

When making them, give them good back stories. Something that molds into the story it's self and makes them a important part. Have them specialize in the main character's weakness to better support him. I'd make at the most two other characters, a boy and a girl. That's usually how it works. Putting them through a trial together would make a lasting bond for throughout the book.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

I'd make at the most two other characters, a boy and a girl. That's usually how it works.
Since when? You don't even know what kind of book this person wants to write, anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 PM
ChibiEmmy (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Since when? You don't even know what kind of book this person wants to write, anyway.
A lot of books I've read always worked out that way, it's stereotypical.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

There are also many books that aren't like that. Without knowing anything about the kind of books he wants to write, how can you effectively give such specific suggestions? Just because a format is common doesn't mean it's always a good idea. A main character plus a boy and a girl is fine, but isn't appropriate for everything.

Why only three, anyway? In the book I just finished reading, as an example, there was the narrator, her brother, her father, best friend, two boys, and the narrator's mentor, plus a few other side characters that didn't appear as much as those ones. All were needed for the story. With fewer characters, the story would have been far simpler, much shorter, and a lot less interesting.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 AM
ChibiEmmy (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I'm just taking shots in the dark having no idea what he wants to write. And sometimes to many characters can get overwhelming for the reader. I recently stopped in the middle of a book just because I couldn't keep track of the characters. (And I only liked two of 8 important characters xD)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM
larkin (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

hi everyone!

A backdrop character (ticket taker or a neighbor) needs only a gender and a place and only perform a function or a moment of comic relief.

A secondary character can be stereotypical but in each one, there must be an element that makes them distinctive, A stutter or a twitch, situational influence, like a landlord or imposing manner where in does not belong. Things that affect the protagonist. They don't need a complete visual or physical description to point out a foible or a purpose. With the exception of essentials, let the reader color the rest of them in.

Characters should have varying degrees of detail in terms of importance. Too many principal characters can be a hardship for both writer and reader. Combine characters when possible or deal with them separately whenever possible.

It is possible to create a compelling character with personality and depth without ever mentioning their hair color.. The reader may do it on their own, choosing something of their liking.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section