WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

How do you create a story?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Rocko (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

I have three stories that are spin-offs of writing exercises.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

I use a thorough outline and a list of plot points... otherwise, I will invariably write myself into a deep dark hole.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM
ChibiEmmy (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

It just pops in my head and I start typing! I NEVER copy anyone's work, I always stay original. I don't plan anything out, if I like how I started it out, I'll continue on till I end up dropping it for another idea that pops in my head or it goes on hold. But every once in a while I'll actually finish something xD
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
writinglizzy (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile

Thanks 25

I think it's unique how everyone has their own style!
I like to imagine a main crisis and then the characters start evolving. I love what if's and maybe's they fuel creativity, I also discuss plot line with family, this may sound scary or strange but you would be surprised the ideas that come out of other peoples heads! One thing if people tell you your plot stinks, ignore, you are the author you must believe in your story, the characters, their lives and their right to have others told about them!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
larkin (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
This is my ideal way of constructing a story

for story A
a) I figure it all out in my head
b) I get a paper and a pencil and lay out character/plots/pictures or visuals /beginning/middles/various endings
c) Now with a pen and paper I jot down short prompts
an opening
a middles
possible endings
characters speicifications
Dear Nacia,
I think your approach is excellent and it probably is favored by Stephen King or J K Rowling. It is systematic, structured and it allows for revision during the writing process.
What I would like to do is to describe another method. This would also sever for those who don't think that they have a story to tell or perhaps they feel one inside but have no idea how to get at it.

The character driven story:

When I sit down to write, I have no idea of what the story is, or what it is going to be about.

I start by designing or inventing a character. This is easier than it sounds.
Pick someone you like or pick the "self" you would like to be. It might be a boyfriend or girlfriend. (Because we are human, you can always do a furry conversion later.)

Describe the character physically, their appearance, the kind of clothes they like. Give them qualities you like but don't make them too perfect. Leave out a few physical things so the reader can fill in some blanks. Describe things that you really like about this character. Endearing qualities like a chipped front tooth or a mischievous nature.

You can start your story right here.

Shuffle all of the information you've gathered and then, get your character into trouble. It can start out with everything fine but something must happen to change things.

The most important element in a story besides the character you care about is adversity or trouble.
The most exciting thing about writing is that you get to invent it as it goes along and that world belongs exclusively to you. Anything that you dream about can happen,..so start dreaming.

Now, I still don't have a story. 9 out of 10 of my attempts do not result in a story but I am improving my writing skills in the process.
The Muse:
noun [C/U] (IMAGINARY FORCE) /mjuz/
› an imaginary force that gives you ideas and helps you to write, paint, or make music, or a physical representation of this force
Imagine that you are the character and travel with them in a world of your own invention just to see where it goes. It may lead nowhere or it will reveal a genuine tale way beyond your original intentions.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Stephen King claims not to be structured in his approach. JK Rowling uses a spreadsheet/timeline or did for some of the Harry Potter Books. Sally Green the new sensation is not structured at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by AnyaKimlun View Post
Stephen King claims not to be structured in his approach. ....
Yep, King says he starts with a situation and really sketchy characters and then starts writing.....I can't help but think he really is working out the story, or has worked it out in his head though....can only know what he says....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM
charleswhaley (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I create a story by sitting down and writing it. Plain and simple. I deal with the details later.
This, though I usually start with a rough idea, first scene, opening line, title, whatever. I get an idea, which may be accepted or rejected based on what I believe I can do with it, then just wing it from there. I used to try to outline and plan, but my stories change too much in the moment of flow to fulfill the original idea, which is usually for the best. If an element really matters enough, it'll work its way in quite naturally because you need it for wherever in the story you need it.

One story I wrote, Whispers of the Crow, was a continous, "but now I have my characters x and need them to y, so I need to add z right here."

Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 PM
SuperGurl (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 33

I start with characters, usually, and a rough idea of what my story will be. For the first few days, I don't write anything, just kind of hang out with my characters and really think about all of the different things that could happen in this book. Once I've really played with this idea and know what I want to happen, I write an outline, which is just sort of: this happens, then this happens, then this. I write character outlines. I start writing, revising my outline as details become clearer and keeping track of things in a notebook as I go.

Yeah, that's how I create a story. :-)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Gaines (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 856

Imagination. It is the stuff that dreams are made of....The Maltese Falcon.
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon3 Creating a Story

First, of course, the characters be it full and round
or flat and still.
I will move on to consider the action of the plot
which should bend to help the shape of the story,
you know
stranger-comes-to town, a gathering, the great big
bear-at-the-door, or the journey shape.
It all really matters
that the dialogue is doing more than one thing, saying it.

Just keep it coming. It's just a draft

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section