WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Childhood memory repression

Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM
JE_Russell (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Childhood memory repression

I have a character who is involved with some form of childhood trauma (it's never specifically named in the book as his adoptive parents find him wandering the streets after it's happened) around the age of six or so. When his adoptive parents find him he is alone, covered in soot as if he had escaped from a fire of some kind (it is in the middle of a war, though, so this is not particularly abnormal), and cannot/will not speak. They take him home and take care of him.

Some couple weeks later he finally begins to speak, warming up, but they find that he has no memory of anything before they found him (well, perhaps wandering the street, but not of the traumatic experience). The bit of a twist is that the little boy, even though he can't remember anything before, has an eidetic memory and sometimes catches glimpses of those repressed memories through dreams.

So, this is my question to anyone who has any medical and or psychological knowledge: Is this possible for someone with such a gift as an eidetic memory to completely wipe out the earliest years of their life due to trauma?

If more details are needed, let me know.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

This might help. It's a link to Psychology for Writers, by a psychologist. The book's good, but you can also ask Kaufman questions. Including getting the likes of a complete psychological profile for your character. Just be aware of your location and hers, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
JE_Russell (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Fantastic! Thank you so much!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 AM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Yes it is. I had repressed childhood memories. I wish they had stayed that way. They come back in shattered bits and pieces, sometimes the same memory would dredge itself back up again several times, each time with a little more detail. I would often have them in dreams, other times, I'd see it like a movie playing all around me, or I'd see it in the same room I'm in, but the thing happening right in front of me. It's horrible and painful. Even though your character hasn't remembered anything, there are still scars left by the experience that may show through in anger, fear, or depression that seems to have no root cause but is directly related to his experience.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section