WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Member poll - new weekly posting limits

View Poll Results: Vote for a new weekly posting limit (applying only to the listed areas)
Reduce poetry to three poems, as well as three prose, but with a maximum of five pieces 7 29.17%
Reduce poetry and prose to two of each, with a maximum of four 4 16.67%
Reduce overall posting limits to just three pieces in total, poetry or prose 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Redlorry

Default Member poll - new weekly posting limits

Following multiple comments from members and repeated incidents of individuals flooding the forum with their work, above the stated number of pieces, the staff are currently looking at reducing posting limits.

The current posting limits are: five poems in one week or three pieces of prose and they apply to:
• Fiction
• Non Fiction
• Poetry
• Members Only Forum
• Adult Forum

We want our new weekly posting limits to be more clearly defined so we can enforce them across the boards listed above, in order to prevent flooding. This is a chance for everyone to have their say and help make WB a more effective and supportive writing environment. Thanks.

Last edited by Redlorry; 02-25-2014 at 02:18 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014), KBR (06-15-2014), LillianTroll (03-03-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

I had to vote for the first one because that was the only choice I had.
I wished to see five poems to six a week for those who do not write prose.
in other words one poem a day for those who do not write or post prose.
I am a fast writer and compose a lot of poetry,
I do not write prose and to be told I could only post three a week is very limiting to what I can do.
this is how I feel about it. thank you for engaging this thread.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 AM
iDrew (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Location: Throwing wishes off the end of world's longest pier
Thanks 427

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I had to vote for the first one because that was the only choice I had.
I wished to see five poems to six a week for those who do not write prose.
in other words one poem a day for those who do not write or post prose.
I am a fast writer and compose a lot of poetry,
I do not write prose and to be told I could only post three a week is very limiting to what I can do.
this is how I feel about it. thank you for engaging this thread.

With all due respect hun, and not wishing to appear antagonistic, but telling it as it is, youíre as guilty as most in creating the problems the staff are trying to eliminate. In all the time Iíve known your work, and this goes back to that other forum as well, youíve never shown any willingness to workshop your pieces, often posting two pieces a day, five days a week. Itís the reason I never comment on your work, and to be honest, gave up on even reading them a long time ago.

Itís not the only choice you have. In a workshop environment you have the choice to either refine or craft your work and improve your written English, or showcase notebook scribbles masquerading as poetry. By posting less you may have more time to spend on other peopleís work and in doing so learn something about your own.

In general, the downside to a limit is that the showcasers still wonít turn their attentions to other poems on the board and therefore there will become a stagnation effect. Personally I would also add a requirement to comment (50+ word min.) on three poems before the writer could post.

xDrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the CLUELESS COLLECTIVEíS
ALL NEW 17 OUT NOW
(min. system requirement: 1 working brain cell)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iDrew For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014), JustcallmeEd (02-25-2014), LillianTroll (03-03-2014), MadocMcFie (09-24-2014), Whiskers (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by iDrew View Post
In general, the downside to a limit is that the showcasers still won’t turn their attentions to other poems on the board and therefore there will become a stagnation effect.
We currently have a few of our regular poets avoiding the forum because of the flooding. So I would hope what we lose in showcasers, we gain from those who are genuinely interested in giving and receiving proper support. And that's no bad thing. We're not a cabinet for showcasers anyway.

Personally I would also add a requirement to comment (50+ word min.) on three poems before the writer could post.
To make sure I've understood: You would like comments from those critiquing a poem to be at least 50 words long?

If I've understood correctly, I'm not sure we could enforce that. And it may put people off commenting if they can't find much to say. On the other hand it would certainly deter newbie one-line posters who are trying to bump posts.

For now we're focusing on reducing the problem of forum flooding and then when the new guideines are in place we can turn our attentions toward encouraging a better level of critique from members. In order to support and develop all.

Last edited by Redlorry; 02-25-2014 at 04:54 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014), MadocMcFie (09-24-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 AM
zara

It might be limiting to you but you do need to consider other posters and leave more room for them.

Thanks to the staff for taking action on this issue.

Last edited by zara; 02-25-2014 at 06:06 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014), Whiskers (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by zara View Post
It might be limiting to you but you do need to consider other posters and leave more room for them.

Thanks to the staff for taking action on this issue.
Ok if for example I posted one a day I will not be stopping others from posting. in fact that should encourage others to post too.
In other forums I have/am with posting five poems a day is the norms. there are never any issues about flooding.
everyone gets involved and poetry flows throughout the forum. there are never any issues as far as comments reading and posting is concerned.
in fact the point of posting regularly and consistently encourages others to write more and more often and post because that is the point of writing. If a piece does not get a comment then so be it the next may well do. that is how it works in two forums I am with. there is a certain camaraderie between members and five poems a day means everyone is posting and boasting
why is there an issue here I am not sure.
if you chose not to post your daily amount then that is your choice.
some write faster then others. some are not too fussed that their poems are taken to pieces. writing is instinctive and must be let to flow.
threads move up and down and according to who reads what or comments and poetry is constantly written and moved up or down till the next poster post and so on.

Last edited by Nacia; 02-25-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880
Default a poetry forum suggestion

a suggestion I have but of course it is up to the mods to decide:
is to have two poetry sections:

the Easy Poetry Section or the Frequently Visited Poetry Section
where members are allowed an allowance daily of pieces up to five if they wanted to where it does not matter whether they are commented or not.
the thank button or a score out of Ten will do or even an emoticon or a little message is more then sufficient.
this to encourage consistency and fluency in writing and competitive spirit between members where they do not feel they are limited.
they can just post according to their speed of writing their mood instinct and whatever.

the second forum is
the Serious Poetry Section
where members are only allowed three a week.
this is to allow for those who enjoy giving detailed feedback or those who wish it to indulge with it.

this way one knows what to expect and how.

Last edited by Nacia; 02-25-2014 at 06:47 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 AM
Redlorry

Nacia, the Writer's Beat boards in question aren't here for showcasing or boasting. We're here to support and help develop writers.

The time and effort you put into your work is up to you. If you can write that quickly good for you, but many people can't or don't want to. Even posting one piece a day how do you have time to work on your poems, develop them, format them and submit them? What do you do with your poetry afterward?

If you are only posting to showcase it's really time for you to find another way to do that.

There have been times when I've looked down the forum and your threads have dominated the boards. That's not fair to others. You are a prolific poster - and whereas that's not a bad thing, especially when you're helping others, it's also not a good thing when you're starting thread after thread after thread and bumping off the posts of others who are looking for critique and support with their work. I was horrified to read that members of our community are no longer posting their work here because individuals are flooding the forum. That's not what we want at all!

New guidelines are coming and posting limits will be reduced in order to make sure everyone's work has a fair chance of being read and supported. We want everyone at Writer's Beat to get the support they need, and this is one of the ways we hope to achieve it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014), Ilseum (02-25-2014), LillianTroll (03-03-2014), Rei (06-08-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

As stated by staff, the Poetry section is not intended to showcase work. Still, many will post only for that reason, an ego trip, and resent any comments to the contrary. I think it's great to get positive feedback, but along with praise (if any) should come why the commenter likes, or not.

If there were only five members posting poetry, perhaps five poems a week would not congest the section, but with members competing to see who can post the most, we have several from the same members applauding each other while others' works fall down the page. People capable of helping others cannot possibly give meaningful comments to such a flood. It's also--as stated by several--as the reason for not trying to help. Even we ancient trolls desire to learn how our work can be improved.

Thus, after that diatribe, I suggest that members themselves control the use of the poetry (or any other) section. A poem should be given time for consideration and comments before posting another work. In my less than humble opinion, a week is not too long to wait for the work to make its way down the board, giving new works space and time for comments. Some of us might even learn something from others.

I see no gain from two poetry sections. A solution for those wanting only to post for praise is to use PMs to their friends. Plenty of space is there for showcasing.

Finally, (whew!) I don't think I'm an old fart troll, just a survivor.
Ilseum (02-25-2014), Mohican (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

I used to chafe at the 3 post in 7 days limit, but in reality never came close to meeting, let alone exceeding the limit. One or two posts per week allow work to be read and reviewed.

I think this will be good for the forum in general and give people more time to give a good look at an individual piece of work.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

I had a chance here recently to see for myself the effect of over-posting, when I accidentally did it myself.

To see the board crowded out by my own stuff made me cringe.

Sorry, all.

I fully support the limits.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustcallmeEd For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (02-26-2014), Franklin (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM
iDrew (Offline)
Official Member

Location: Throwing wishes off the end of world's longest pier
Thanks 427

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post

If I've understood correctly, I'm not sure we could enforce that. And it may put people off commenting if they can't find much to say. On the other hand it would certainly deter newbie one-line posters who are trying to bump posts.

There will always be pieces that donít generate much discussion or scrutiny, true, and this could always be taken into consideration, and I donít mean for staff to be pedantic about the word count, just as a tool for encouraging a more in-depth approach to crit.

xDrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the CLUELESS COLLECTIVEíS
ALL NEW 17 OUT NOW
(min. system requirement: 1 working brain cell)
The Following User Says Thank You to iDrew For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Redlorry

There will always be pieces that donít generate much discussion or scrutiny, true, and this could always be taken into consideration, and I donít mean for staff to be pedantic about the word count, just as a tool for encouraging a more in-depth approach to crit.

xDrew
We will definitely be looking at encouraging more effective and supportive critique methods. It's next on the list.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 AM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 594

The last option suits me well as it gives the writer a responsibility to produce something worth reading.
Too many excuses going about over pieces written in a "rushed" or "hasty" manner.
When you post something for public scrutiny, at least have some respect for your work by being more mindful of those taking the time to read and critique it.
Franklin (02-26-2014), Ilseum (02-26-2014), JustcallmeEd (02-26-2014), Whiskers (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
We will definitely be looking at encouraging more effective and supportive critique methods. It's next on the list.
Back when writingforums.com didn't suck and I was moderating it, which was an exercise I'd liken to herding several thousand rabid weasels, I tackled trying to encourage more effective and supportive critique methods. The results were frankly dismal, so I'm intrigued to see what you'll come up with here.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
ChrisK (04-24-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

I have a question:
it is for those who either write prose or poetry but not both.
does the limit of tow or three a week still apply?
thank you.

Last edited by Nacia; 02-26-2014 at 03:59 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
The results were frankly dismal, so I'm intrigued to see what you'll come up with here.
I'd like to be smug and say "challenge accepted". But at this time, as we plan, discuss and formulate, I'm intrigued to see what we come up with too. I might drop you a line to see what you tried ...

I have a question:
it is for those who either write prose or poetry but not both.
does the limit of tow or three a week still apply?
thank you.
Yes Nacia.

If you vote option 1: Reduce poetry to three poems, as well as three prose, but with a maximum of five pieces - thats a maximum of three poems in a week, but you could also do two prose, or vice versa.

Option 2: Reduce poetry and prose to two of each, with a maximum of four - thats only two poems a week but you can also post two prose as well if you want. But no more than two of each.

Otion 3: Reduce overall posting limits to just three pieces in total, poetry or prose - Three pieces of whatever you want

The object is not only to prevent flooding across the forum, but also to prevent flooding of specific boards. So no matter which option you pick, you will be limited to either two or three pieces of poetry per week and/or two or three pieces of prose per week.

Last edited by Redlorry; 02-26-2014 at 06:44 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nacia (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Can I change my vote? I was in a slightly medicated haze and wanted to make sure I voted in time. I meant to vote for the last one and voted for the top one instead.

This is a workshop - and good crits on 3 pieces in a week should be enough. The only time I'd like it relaxed is if it is a reworking of a piece already posted as that is the purpose of the forum and I'd love to see more people doing the latter. To me posting the same piece four times is different to posting zillions of different items.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Redlorry

Well there's nothing to stop people reworking the same piece in the original thread, as long as it's within a reasonable timescale.

Edit: Anya, I was able to delete your original vote and reassign it to the thrid option as per your post.

Last edited by Redlorry; 02-26-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Franklin (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I guess and then we could PM those that already looked at it to let them know.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Redlorry

Let them know what?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

That it has been updated. It's most useful to get people who have already looked at a piece to see the changes. If you update in the thread they don't know to check it again.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

* sigh *
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Redlorry

It's not been updated. I just moved corrected your vote. I imagine anyone who is interested is keeping an eye on the poll.

Besides which most who've voted have commented as well, so any new comment will also draw their attention. It's fine.
Franklin (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I actually meant the updated story or prose threads. If we just change them on the thread then the people who've already commented often don't come back.

But if it is three including rewrites we'll have to update the work on the thread.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Lorry, I think you and Anya are talking across each other. She means updated a post of hers, that it should not count as a new post--I think. You are talking about updating the survey--I think.

Anya, even if your work has moved to the next page, or even into archives, you can always resurrect it for revision or rewriting. Some people call it a 'bump.' Others call it obsession.
AnyaKimlun (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Redlorry

Ahh ... Thank you Paco.

Sorry, Anya - complete sieve-head moment.
I think that's a cultural thing we can address. We can remind people to check back on posts where the author makes new posts. It will also help people see the development of the piece.
AnyaKimlun (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Oh I shamelessly bump. It's probably my fault I'm on antihistamines but because I have a lactose allergy I can only take the drowsy kind.

Let's try again lol:

When someone has reworked their piece and want to repost it: if they put it on the existing thread and just bump it then people who have looked at it before may not realise it has been updated.

However I could PM them and let them know.

EDIT: Lorry dealt with it lol

Last edited by AnyaKimlun; 02-26-2014 at 09:42 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Redlorry

See my comment above - lol, now we're talking over each other.
AnyaKimlun (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 507

Havent voted because I don't post writing anymore, but I just wanted to touch on Anya's concern. Hope you all don't mind.

Instead of editing out the original post, put the revised version in a reply to the thread which will bump it to the top of the page. Put an "edit" at the top of the op stating revised version posted in x# post. That way, everyone will see there's been new work added and will know where to find it. Cancels out the need to post lots of new threads about the same subjcet.

On an aside. Not sure how the edit threads system works here (too busy to go check right now) but on another forum I use, you can edit you thread titles. Go to edit, then go advanced and there's an option to change thread title. If thats possible here, it might be a handy way of letting people know a threads been edited with new work. Just as an addition to the bumps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CandraH For This Useful Post:
Franklin (02-26-2014), Ilseum (02-26-2014), KBR (03-03-2014), LillianTroll (03-03-2014)

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board