WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

The Intellectual Table will be closed Starting Sunday, June 29, 2014

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Some people enjoy making clowns of themselves. Why would fully grown men, seemingly intelligent, spend their day criticizing others on a writer's forum designed to assist young authors and to entertain older ones? These troublemakers write professionally too. I don't get their behavior. If I had their talent, I'd be knocking out books one after the other. Their need to pounce on others and to belittle them is a baffling thought, even for a stooge like me.
And butter wouldn't melt in your mouth. You’re such a hypocrite. I could post a list a mile long of your utterly pointless insults and personal attacks in the form of self-righteous lectures. I could cut and paste one from just this morning. Please.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 07-09-2014 at 07:55 AM..
Old 07-09-2014, 08:50 AM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

Shelly, come on. get off your high horse. I hadn't been here even two weeks before you came at me out of nowhere, over some harmless offhand comment i made about street preachers. gimme a break. seriously.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM
wildchild (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Well now, imagine that. A writing forum refusing to let people write what they want to write. Writing is writing. You shouldn't have to agree with it to allow it.

I moved on months ago. Google+ is such a more dynamic place to have intellectual discussions.

Let's have a moment of silence for all of those banned from WB because of things they wrote in the intellectual forum as well as those who quit because they couldn't handle what other people wrote. So many passionate words deleted from the annals of history. So many passionate avatars crying in shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildchild For This Useful Post:
Mike C (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Well, when you think about it, this really is a big mountain being made of a molehill. Life goes on.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Shelly, come on. get off your high horse. I hadn't been here even two weeks before you came at me out of nowhere, over some harmless offhand comment i made about street preachers. gimme a break. seriously.
I kinda like street preachers, roc. Harmless chaps following their beliefs. Non thrashers. Why call them out?

Sweep. Sweep.

Some guys now want the black suit and white collar. Oh no not me . . . I never insulted anyone. Whatta Joke. Holy. Holy.

I call em as I see em roc, helps my writing. Maybe if some dude you pass on a corner puts a knife to your throat, then the next time, the street corner preacher holding cardboard sign won't be such a woeful sight to you.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-09-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

indeed. life goes on. mountains return to being molehills. no biggie. it was the correct decision-- in favor of politeness. and intellectual discussion is not always polite. the world is not a "polite" place. therefore, ergo . . . done deal. let the market sort it out at this point, and good luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Well said, rocmeister. Maybe I'll see you over in poetry etc.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Floyd (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

I am sorry to bring back an old post, but I have been away from the Beat for several months (circumstances I could not avoid). I was new anyway, but in the month or so I was here, the Intellectual Table seemed a vital and lively part of the forum, and without it there is seems to be less reason to return (indeed, I see that many 'frequent-flyers' have departed since I took my hiatus.)

I do not want to stick my foot in, so to speak, what was, I'm sure, a complicated and necessary decision. But now, two months since the death of the Intellectual Table, is there any chance of it making a return, now that things have 'cooled-off'?

King regards to all the moderators and admin.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I am sorry to bring back an old post, but I have been away from the Beat for several months (circumstances I could not avoid). I was new anyway, but in the month or so I was here, the Intellectual Table seemed a vital and lively part of the forum, and without it there is seems to be less reason to return (indeed, I see that many 'frequent-flyers' have departed since I took my hiatus.)

I do not want to stick my foot in, so to speak, what was, I'm sure, a complicated and necessary decision. But now, two months since the death of the Intellectual Table, is there any chance of it making a return, now that things have 'cooled-off'?

King regards to all the moderators and admin.
While the Intellectual Table was certainly a lively part of the forum, we don't believe it was a vital one. And the past months have proven that. While there is less traffic than before, the focus is much more on writing, which is what this forum was designed for and should be used for in our opinion.

The Intellectual Table as it was will not be coming back. There may be (note the may, we're not making promises) a new discussion forum at some point, where the main focus will still be writing or reading. We're brainstorming about it, and any member is free to PM us with ideas, but for now we're happy with the way things are. The atmosphere has improved a lot, and we're happy to see members standing up for each other and helping each other, rather than ratting each other out and causing virtual fist fights.

If you're looking for discussions in the way they were held in the IT, feel free to take a look at the forum Non Serviam has set up (the link is somewhere in this thread), and we hope to still see you around here for writerly matters!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Floyd (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

Originally Posted by Ilseum View Post
While the Intellectual Table was certainly a lively part of the forum, we don't believe it was a vital one. And the past months have proven that. While there is less traffic than before, the focus is much more on writing, which is what this forum was designed for and should be used for in our opinion.

The Intellectual Table as it was will not be coming back. There may be (note the may, we're not making promises) a new discussion forum at some point, where the main focus will still be writing or reading. We're brainstorming about it, and any member is free to PM us with ideas, but for now we're happy with the way things are. The atmosphere has improved a lot, and we're happy to see members standing up for each other and helping each other, rather than ratting each other out and causing virtual fist fights.

If you're looking for discussions in the way they were held in the IT, feel free to take a look at the forum Non Serviam has set up (the link is somewhere in this thread), and we hope to still see you around here for writerly matters!
I'm glad to see that you are considering a discussion forum, hopefully, as you said, more based on writing, as a writing forum should be.
As I said, I was simply wondering. Clearly the admin and moderators, such as yourself, are incredibly engaged (far more than I've experienced on some other forums) and I hope all is going well from inside the Beat

I will certainly be sticking around- the advice in matters of general writing and language use, as well as feedback, has been invaluable. As I said, it was involuntary my hiatus, and I was simply surprised to see the IT gone when I returned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Floyd For This Useful Post:
Ilseum (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Ilseum View Post
While the Intellectual Table was certainly a lively part of the forum, we don't believe it was a vital one.
Indeed. I couldn't agree more. Passion has now thankfully been expunged from wb, to be replaced by threads like "What was your favourite toy?"

I'm looking forward to conversing next on our favourite colors; that should prove lively!
Alien (09-01-2014), Gaines (09-15-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 488

(indeed, I see that many 'frequent-flyers' have departed since I took my hiatus.)
Hey, Floyd.

Over my years as a member here I've seen many steady members fade and vanish. Some come back for stints and then vanish again. I call it ebb and flow.

This place captivated me from the get-go and held my attention; taught me right from wrong and allowed me to progress in my writing. I'll forever be grateful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagit For This Useful Post:
Pandora (08-27-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Indeed. I couldn't agree more. Passion has now thankfully been expunged from wb, to be replaced by threads like "What was your favourite toy?"

I'm looking forward to conversing next on our favourite colors; that should prove lively!
Yeah, calling someone a C**ksucker is more fun and a lot more stimulating for the mature minded intellectual than speaking about toys or colors. The proper move wasn't closing the IT but tossing a few of the foul mouthed individuals into the gutter where they belonged. Talk like that around wife and daughter? Mother or sister?

Last edited by Cityboy; 09-03-2014 at 01:05 PM..
Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I note with interest that the favourite colour thread is now running. Consider the bottom of the barrel scraped.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

My favorite color was yellow until I discovered purple is the most sacred color on own planet. Then I switched because I like to be trendy. One may learn a lot about themselves through their favorite colors or through astrology or through numerology, which I hope will become the next hot topics in the Writers Cafe. Topics that are a bit softer on the ears.>)

Last edited by Cityboy; 09-04-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Very true Shelly. My favorite color as long as I can remember has been green. A couple years ago out of the blue . . . ha! I discovered yellow. My gosh what a color, just friendly, energetic and peaceful all at the same time. Of course yellow has always been around so what changed? I wonder if what changed was my stars, yes I'm sure of it.

I love learning about other people, a window to their feelings.

Last edited by Pandora; 09-04-2014 at 10:25 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pandora For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,692

a bit more softer
Ouch. My editing eyes.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Ouch. My editing eyes.
a bit softer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Devon (09-05-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
Very true Shelly. My favorite color as long as I can remember has been green. A couple years ago out of the blue . . . ha! I discovered yellow. My gosh what a color, just friendly, energetic and peaceful all at the same time. Of course yellow has always been around so what changed? I wonder if what changed was my stars, yes I'm sure of it.

I love learning about other people, a window to their feelings.
We used to play a sidewalk game using bottle caps. Most of the kids would melt crayons into their caps to give it a distinctive look (like racing colors Jockeys wear for the stables). Anyhow, my bottle caps were always yellow with a blue swirl.

Green is the color of the Irish. Yellow is associated with taxi cabs. In the streets of NYC, yellow is anything but friendly and peaceful. Energetic? The appropriate word would be chaotic.

"Hey, Mack. Where to?

"Thirty third and third."

"Okay."

ZOOOooooooommmmmmmm.

Pandi, ladies are much more open to astrology and numerology than men are. I once enrolled in a tarot reading class, and of the twenty people in the class (including the instructor), I was the only male.

Last edited by Cityboy; 09-04-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Pandora (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

I enjoy hearing about your childhood days growing up in NYC, talk about colorful and fun.

I agree about men and things that don't seem logical, they make perfect sense to me . . . ha!

Thanks Shelly.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
I enjoy hearing about your childhood days growing up in NYC, talk about colorful and fun.

I agree about men and things that don't seem logical, they make perfect sense to me . . . ha!

Thanks Shelly.
Our block was lined up with the Empire State Building. As soon as I exited my building and turned North (I turned North nearly all the time because the corner candy store was in that direction), the magnificent building (ESB) was the first thing I saw; it stared down at me.

We used to play in front of my building a lot, and when he was about six years old, my friend Michael used to be afraid of the Empire State Building. Even though the ESB was about two miles from our street, Michael believed if it ever tumbled, it would reach our block, burying all of us. It's funny how a child's imagination could created almost any situation.

After a small plane crashed into the building around 1947 (?), killing about 6 or 7 aboard it, a warning light was placed upon the building to prevent similar accidents. I remember how I used to watch that beam of light soar across the night sky directly above my street.

The light used to rotate, and I'd watch the beam appear and then vanish then appear for a couple of minutes. I think it took about 30 seconds for the light to make a complete circle around the city. The tenements on my block were so crowded together and so tall, that the beam was visible in the night sky only when it was directly lined up with my block. At the time, it was fun to watch come around and around.
Pandora (09-12-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 01:34 PM
TerryWB (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Hello

I'm brand new the The Writer's Beat. Joined today. Thought I would say, "hello."
The Following User Says Thank You to TerryWB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Hi TerryWB nice to meet you, welcome! What's your favorite color?

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board