WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Arctic Planet

Old 12-19-2015, 12:31 AM
caters (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Default Arctic Planet

I am thinking of writing a story that is all about the arctic. But not the arctic on Earth but a whole planet of arctic. It is habitable but super cold(just like the arctic here on earth)

A few human-like characters happen to be stuck in the ice. A polar bear hears the characters and comes to break the ice. He breaks them free and welcomes them to the arctic. They stay with the polar bear for warmth.

But I am wondering. How would I make the whole planet have arctic weather with a spring, summer, fall, and winter? The star is very new and so it would be extremely hot(hotter than our sun if you can imagine such a thing)

This would potentially melt all the ice and snow that makes the arctic what it is. This would be good for the human-like characters but bad for the polar bears and other arctic life. And remember the characters are with the polar bear for warmth.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Raserei (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Maybe take a look at studying some extreme places that still have seasons. Alaska comes to mind. Maybe Greenland and a dozen other countries on the norther part of our globe. I know the warm season is very short but the flora and fauna thrive. Since you are doing a whole other planet, take what you need to make it seem viable and spin it.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:51 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by caters View Post
But I am wondering. How would I make the whole planet have arctic weather with a spring, summer, fall, and winter? The star is very new and so it would be extremely hot(hotter than our sun if you can imagine such a thing)
Main sequence stars get hotter over time. They're at the coolest when they first form. Our own star is about 25% hotter than it was when the Earth was brand new.

An oxygen-rich atmosphere like Earth's takes several billion years to form, so brand new planets wouldn't be habitable by humans.

Whole-planet arctic weather does naturally happen and has happened on Earth (the Cryogenian Period when the whole planet was covered with ice and snow except for a narrow band of slushy open water near the equator).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

it may not be much help but I read a short story once where the earth had stopped spinning for some reason. One side of the earth was permanently facing the sun and was scorched to an uninhabitable crisp, the other side was frozen to the point of being virtually uninhabited.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section