WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

As A Man Thinketh

Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 68
Icon1 As A Man Thinketh

Forward:
This ... (the result of meditation and experience) is not intended as an exhaustive treatise on the much-written-upon subject of the power of thought. It is suggestive rather than explanatory, its object being to stimulate men and women to the discovery and perception of the truth that --

They themselves are makers of themselves

by virtue of the thoughts which they choose and encourage; that mind is the master-weaver, both of the inner garment of character and the outer garment of circumstance, and that, as they may have hitherto woven in the ignorance and pain they may now weave in enlightenment and happiness.
-- (author) James Allen

date: unknown ..this book for some reason has no copyright date. i have no idea

THE THOUGHT-FACTOR IN ACHIEVEMENT

by James Allen

All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts. In a justly ordered universe, where loss of equipoise would mean total destruction, individual responsibility must be absolute. A man’s weakness an strength, purity and impurity, are his own, and not another man’s; they are brought about by himself, and not by another; and they can only be altered b himself, never by another. His condition is also his own, and not another man’s. His sufferings and his happiness are evolved from within. As he thinks, so he is; as he continues to think, so he remains.

A strong man cannot help a weaker unless that weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.

It has ben usual for men to think and say, “Many men are slaves because one is an oppressor; let us hate the oppressor.” Now, however, there is amongst an increasing few a tendency to reverse this judgment, and to say, “One man is an oppressor because many are slaves; let us despise the slaves.” The truth is that oppressor and slave are co-operators in ignorance, and, while seeming to afflict each other, are in reality afflicting themselves. A perfect Knowledge perceives the action of law in the weakness of the oppressed and the misapplied power f the oppressor; a perfect Love, seeing the suffering which both states entail, condemns neither; a perfect Compassion embraces both oppressor and oppressed.

He who has conquered weakness, and has put away all selfish thoughts, belongs neither to oppressor nor oppressed. He is free.

A man can only rise, conquer, and achieve by lifting up his thoughts. He can only remain weak, and abject, and miserable, by refusing to lift up his thoughts.

Before a man can achieve anything, even in worldly things, he must lift his thoughts above slavish animal indulgence. He may not, in order to succeed, give up all animality and selfishness, by any means; but a portion of it must, at least, be sacrificed. A man whose first thought is bestial indulgence could neither think clearly nor plan methodically; he could not find and develop his latent resources, and would fail in any undertaking. Not having commenced manfully to control his thoughts, he is not in a position to control affairs and to adopt serious responsibilities. He is not fit to act independently and stand alone. But he is limited only by the thoughts which he chooses.

There can be no progress, no achievement without sacrifice, and a man’s worldly success will be in the measure that he sacrifices his confused animal thoughts, and fixes his mind on the development of his plans, and the strengthening of his resolution and self-reliance. And the higher he lifts his thoughts, the more manly, upright and righteous he becomes, the greater will be his success, the more blessed and enduring will his achievement.

The universe does not favor the greedy, the dishonest, the vicious, although on the mere surface it may sometimes appear to do so; it helps the honest, the magnanimous, the virtuous. All the great Teachers of the ages have declared this in varying forms, and to prove and know it a man has but to persist in making himself more and more virtuous by lifting up his thoughts.

Intellectual achievements are the result of thought consecrated to the search for knowledge or for the beautiful and true in life and nature. Such achievements may be sometimes connected with vanity and ambition, but they are not the outcome of those characteristics; they are the natural outgrowth of long and arduous effort, and of pure and unselfish thoughts.

Spiritual achievements are the consummation of holy aspiration. He who lives constantly in the conception of noble and lofty thoughts, who dwells upon all that is pure and unselfish, will, as surely as the sun reaches its zenith and he moon its full, become wise and noble in character, and rise into a position of influence and blessedness.

Achievement, or whatever kind, is the crown of effort, the diadem of thought. By the aid of self-control, resolution, purity, righteousness, and well-directed thought, a man ascends; by the aid of animality, indolence, impurity, corruption, and confusion of thought a man descends.

A man may rise to high success in the world, and even to lofty altitudes in the spiritual realm, and again descent into weakness and wretchedness by allowing arrogant, selfish, and corrupt thoughts to take possession of him.

Victories attained by right thought can only be maintained by watchfulness. Many give way when success is assured, and rapidly fall back into failure.

All achievements, whether in the business, intellectual, or spiritual world, are the result of definitely directed thought, are governed by the same law, and are of the same method; the only difference lies in the object of attainment.

He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would achieve much must sacrifice much; he who would attain highly must sacrifice greatly.

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-06-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Some good points but it presupposes the universe favors something. I donít think the universe gives a crap about anything humans do. Weíre just a lucky blip. Here in a nano-second and gone before the universe could even know.

Giving up all animality as a means to achievement seems to be contrary to the rules of game theory. I donít think Trump has any lofty or righteous thoughts, but he practices game theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 68

Wonder if Trump read and understood Sun Tzu

That's probably a fraction mustard seed hope
I can't make fun of a man I've never met

If he wrote a poem tho.. I could tell you what kind of man he is.
haha. I dare, I'd love to see a poem by Trump. And his handwriting.
Scribblydegook? Or prestige? Is news fake or real? Does the man really have dementia? Or what else they want to give him? I don't read enough of the rats crap, you guys here at WB are all I need right?

WB. Does anyone else think of the frog from Warner Bros? I do.
Anyone eat a frog?
Tell me what it tastes like:

Oh. Sorry. A woman though'th and farted out a comment and, what, zzzsleep

A Man Think'th by James Allen is so very short, that perhaps I will library the rest into this thread for posterity -- or for pleasure before the embers
Old 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
Wonder if Trump read and understood Sun Tzu

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 68

Yeah. I know. Damn

Oh hell. I am a Green Party member, but this last election, all my friends were flipping out about the whole election so I appeased my friends. Tried for Sanders, but hello

Politics. I'll shut my mouth before i get dragged away by a whale --

haha. Maybe Trump .. no.. he went bankrupt back in the 80's or something didn't he? I have tried to stay away from all the info about the orange man potus.

does anyone else think he sometimes looks like a carrot in a wig?
.. meh. i dont know. i try not to think about what cant be proven

journalism.
longlive---hrmphl;kjfjcrash--
jokes. jokes.
news aint dead.
kicking

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library