WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

meditation

Old 05-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Gay. Straight. Crooked. Live life to the fullest. Nacia, they just want attention. That's it in a nutshell.
Cityboy you know what no matter what subject the title of any thread is
the point is to pull together and hopefully find an answer different from the one we started with.
That is the ultimate achievement in the art of conversation.
I think that meditation in this sense lacks conversation because it is between you and the unknown and it unsettles me in that sense.
However taking into account what you have said I fully agree we are shaped differently and therefore made to experiment different things. it is a good thing in the long run because it means we have different things to talk about and that is the point of everything I believe

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
Cityboy (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Brian, if your mother or father told you that they saw an apparition of their parents, you'd call them a "fraud" too. You're programed to do that. You have an agenda to push. I understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't waste a second on you. You despise anything connected to the supernatural or to God. That's who you are. It's fine. But, don't pretend you know anything about meditation. All you know is to cry "fraud." What have you spent 30 years mowing lawns. You should tell people how to cut grass. That's your specialty, not meditation. You're a hardcore, close-minded skeptic when it comes to supernatural. You wouldn't believe or trust your own blood. I know that.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-24-2018 at 03:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Nacia (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:44 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Brian, if your mother or father told you that they saw an apparition of their parents, you'd call them a "fraud" too. You're programed to do that. You have an agenda to push. I understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't waste a second on you. You despise anything connected to the supernatural or to God. That's who you are. It's fine. But, don't pretend you know anything about meditation. All you know is to cry "fraud." What have you spent 30 years mowing lawns. You should tell people how to cut grass. That's your specialty, not meditation. You're a hardcore, close-minded skeptic when it comes to supernatural. You wouldn't believe or trust your own blood. I know that.

If you don’t really read what I write you can’t possibly answer appropriately. You either skim, or you’re not smart enough to understand. I’m hoping, for your sake, it’s the former.

I’m not a hardcore anything. I don’t despise anything or anyone. I am not bitter or angry in the least. I am not close minded.

You are just out of your element here.

I’m sure after 70 years on the planet you’re an expert on something. Even if it’s just welfare fraud. But meditation is not it. You regurgitate some silliness you’ve read. That’s why I suggested masturbation. We’re all experts at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
it is quite worrying that the word gay predominate.

I feel it to be inappropriate to be used in this way randomly.

I am not so sure it is a good thing to do because many who are gay will find that offensive. just saying.

Don’t be a social justice warrior, girl. My gay friends will forgive me for using comedy to make a point needing making.

Let’s take a poll....

How many gays here would be offended that I substituted the word “gay” for “retarded?”

Post responses below...
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 451

(Shrugs on green robe)

The gay comments are off topic.

(Strips back down to skivvies)

That said, those who engage in stereotypical behavior, and are offended that it gives them away, should either change their behavior or embrace their identity.

That said, it seems to me that the goal of most meditators is to reach an understanding of who they really are, and why they're here, and all kinds of things that, when you think about it, we'll automatically find out once we die.

That is, if you believe in life after death. If you don't, then life is infinitely simpler, and all you have to worry about is your next paycheck, and whether your kids are fed.

But if you believe in life after death, you have to realize: all the things you're trying to find out by clearing your mind and contemplating your navel are things you will be fully aware of once you die.

Why waste time on it now? Life is a break from the all-knowing, all-seeing, we-are-one-with-the-Universe existence we had for billions and billions of God-get-me-the-fuck-out-of-here-Jesus-Christ-I'm-gonna-die-if -I-have-to-listen-to-one-more-joke-I-already-know-the-punchline-to eons.

We come here to get away from all that shit, of not being able to tell a joke, because everyone knows the punchline; of not being able to sneak up and goose someone, because they already knew you were coming; of knowing every damn thing about everything, forever, because we're free energy, one with God, peaceful, serene...

*snork* What? What? - oh - I fell asleep. Get me back to Earth.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 05-24-2018 at 10:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Nacia (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:10 PM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 118

but how would you know for sure that is what you are experiencing is the correct thing when you are totally out there on your own?
there is no communication.
very busy, would like to answer you with focus but cannot in this moment.

there are many ways to connect with the ‘universal I’ as quoted by flying tart and indeed cityboy - to me this has come about through pattern making, the repetition of the familiar, the mundane actually over many years, have done extensive reading on this theme subsequent to my own experience because I was surprised to find that I understood it - had discovered the sentiment myself. This is its beauty, it is accessible to all.

It’s brought about through personal experience which is what brianpatrick has grasped (I think) and in the grasping, the seeing, so the letting go.

We are infinitely unique, articulate, thinking beings. We have a voice, I find that marvelous don’t you? Through reflection some would call it meditative practice this creative potential within us all becomes all the more apparent. Full circle. Have you heard a bird sing, I mean have you heard a bird sing.

Last edited by anna; 05-24-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 01:38 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Originally Posted by anna View Post
very busy, would like to answer you with focus but cannot in this moment.

there are many ways to connect with the ‘universal I’ as quoted by flying tart and indeed cityboy - to me this has come about through pattern making, the repetition of the familiar, the mundane actually over many years, have done extensive reading on this theme subsequent to my own experience because I was surprised to find that I understood it - had discovered the sentiment myself. This is its beauty, it is accessible to all.

It’s brought about through personal experience which is what brianpatrick has grasped (I think) and in the grasping, the seeing, so the letting go.

We are infinitely unique, articulate, thinking beings. We have a voice, I find that marvelous don’t you? Through reflection some would call it meditative practice this creative potential within us all becomes all the more apparent. Full circle. Have you heard a bird sing, I mean have you heard a bird sing.
to connect with the universe is the buzz word and the personal experience another.
we have all got things inside us that need rectifying and so whilst one meditate the other hesitate but find other means to connect with others and theirselves.
I am a visual person and connection with the unknown does not appeal because I need to see to understand.
I can't just shut down.

It is what makes one tick. and yes I have heard birds sing many many times just walking about cycling and so on. It is by far the most incredible thing I have experienced and will always do.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-25-2018, 03:08 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 118

to connect with the universe is the buzz word and the personal experience another.
we have all got things inside us that need rectifying and so whilst one meditate the other hesitate but find other means to connect with others and theirselves.
I am a visual person and connection with the unknown does not appeal because I need to see to understand.
I can't just shut down.

It is what makes one tick. and yes I have heard birds sing many many times just walking about cycling and so on. It is by far the most incredible thing I have experienced and will always do.
the personal experience does not feel like a ‘shut down’ more an all encompassing, each to their own yet it is a connection not a rectification, nor a withdrawal, shrugs, a word is a word be it what you will ...

far from a drive to connect with the unknown it is a connection with the deeply familiar recognised by you for the sake of argument in the form of audible bird song ‘by far the most incredible thing I have experienced and will always do’
The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
Nacia (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116
Default meditation

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
(Shrugs on green robe)

The gay comments are off topic.

(Strips back down to skivvies)

That said, those who engage in stereotypical behavior, and are offended that it gives them away, should either change their behavior or embrace their identity.

That said, it seems to me that the goal of most meditators is to reach an understanding of who they really are, and why they're here, and all kinds of things that, when you think about it, we'll automatically find out once we die.

That is, if you believe in life after death. If you don't, then life is infinitely simpler, and all you have to worry about is your next paycheck, and whether your kids are fed.

But if you believe in life after death, you have to realize: all the things you're trying to find out by clearing your mind and contemplating your navel are things you will be fully aware of once you die.

Why waste time on it now? Life is a break from the all-knowing, all-seeing, we-are-one-with-the-Universe existence we had for billions and billions of God-get-me-the-fuck-out-of-here-Jesus-Christ-I'm-gonna-die-if -I-have-to-listen-to-one-more-joke-I-already-know-the-punchline-to eons.

We come here to get away from all that shit, of not being able to tell a joke, because everyone knows the punchline; of not being able to sneak up and goose someone, because they already knew you were coming; of knowing every damn thing about everything, forever, because we're free energy, one with God, peaceful, serene...

*snork* What? What? - oh - I fell asleep. Get me back to Earth.

Heh, There are strange people in this world (according to the rest of us—prolly doesn’t feel that way to you).

People who are aware of what’s happening, really, and take it as it comes with some kind of mapped understanding. Or maybe I should say “mapping” understanding—because it’s not predetermined. People who’ve developed a language with which to recognize and interpret actions, situations.

You seem to have developed a red-neck/hillbilly/hippie/cowboy language. It’s fun to read.

When I was young, and into my teens, I was profoundly asleep, on auto-pilot. I was smart, but by no means a genius. This intelligence led me to question things, but I had no idea why I was doing so. So, I tried everything. I was very curious, but conditioned in a way so as to not be able to see beyond the deep, worn, pathways in my head. I did things automatically. I read a lot of books and bumbled into P.D. Ouspensky by accident.

Most of his work I disregard now, but he said one thing that made a huge difference in my life. It was this:

Pretend you have a third eye, and from that eye you can watch yourself think, and from that watching you can break the conditioning of your “apparatus” and set yourself free. But... the trick is, the watching cannot be goal oriented in ANY way.

That was a huge obstacle, not “desiring” an outcome or reward or destination.

That for me is meditation. That’s the language I use to describe it. From this side of the fence I can see how it has improved my life tremendously, but describing it is really impossible.

One day science will prolly let all of us read each other’s minds. Then we won’t need meditation. Man, that will be fun.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 718

Meditation: It's the long breath in, the breath trickling back out through your nostrils, the moment of rest before the next breath, the zenning out, the squeeze, and hearing a bullet thud into it's target wayyyy down range...

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Nacia (05-26-2018), Prodigalson (05-26-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table