WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Coolscifi articles (sci fact and sci fact)

Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 AM
TimD (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to TimD
Coolscifi articles (sci fact and sci fact)

I have worked on coolscifi.com for a long time now (the calendar year went round and everythings meaningless now) and we have introduced an articles system into the vbulletin forum where we work with people from sci fact and scifi to produce articles that will help get works seen.

So far we have been dealing with scifi and fantasy authors, a games developer and an audiobook subscription service and will consider anybody's work if they feel it falls into the categories for consideration for future articles.

The articles will be the basic format of "10 Questions with...." for now, this will be polished off over time as the staff at Coolscifi decide to implement additional tweaks to the presentation. The articles will be a collaboration between us and the article subject people we are dealing with. Whilst we aren't getting paid for the job and don't want to appear to be 'bought' we will work with the questions and answers to be interesting, fairly original where we can.

The articles aren't reviews as such, although obviously if one of us is sent an ebook of the work then we can add to the basic format of 10 Q&A's with additional material that makes it sound like we haven't just done an article based on amazons description with no real knowledge from the author/work. his isn't payment, the ebooks would never leave our possession (or we lose respect)

Depending on numbers of new articles planned we will structure the time scheduling of appearance. It's been a little bit irregular to date, even though I've still got 3 authors in the queue for articles that we've agreed on. The timing can step up as more people join the article queue.

To get an article arranged contact me here or over there. I go by my name, Tim (no non-anonymous names for me in the writing side of things, I like to be remembered )

Old 04-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

A better option for good SF articles might be the Internet Review of Science Fiction - www.irosf.com - who pay for work that appears on their site (or at least did last time I looked). They republished my interview with Michael Moorcock (had previously appeared in print) and paid quite well for it.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:56 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Mike C
A better option for good SF articles might be the Internet Review of Science Fiction - www.irosf.com - who pay for work that appears on their site (or at least did last time I looked). They republished my interview with Michael Moorcock (had previously appeared in print) and paid quite well for it.
An online magazine that pays well? Now there's a novelty. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by starrwriter
An online magazine that pays well? Now there's a novelty. Thanks for the link.
My pleasure. Worthy online publications I can count on one hand, but these are one of them. Makes for very interesting reading too, if SF is your thing.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:51 AM
onefish (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I just stumbled onto IROSF last night, actually, while researching an anthropology paper. Derailed my research for a while, as SF definitely IS my thing. http://www.strangehorizons.com pays well for SF articles, too.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Strange Horizons is another worth reading. Excellent production values.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing