WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Still eating dog meat in Georgia?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 115
Default Still eating dog meat in Georgia?

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/t...-mafia-capture

This is a question that recently surfaced in a conversation about jerks that reside in Georgia, here in the US. As of late everyone, it seems, from 18 months old and up can pack a sidearm in Georgia. The cops hands are tied to stop them. It's just inviting anarchism.

I remember, when I was young, I'd also heard that it is legal to eat dog in Georgia. From a quick search, this seems to have been true during the depression years, but I'm wondering if they still do that. I know I'd have difficulty trusting anyone from Georgia right about now.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

Because some people eat dog meat in Georgia, there should be a blanket condemnation of the entire Georgia population?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

rabbies are contagious
I hope they catch some of that which will teach not to touch a dog again. this is how I feel about it.
a dog is not for eating.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
TheDumbOne (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

I love dogs. But I couldn't eat a whole one.

The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Gaines (05-30-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
a dog is not for eating.
There are probably more places than you would care to know about that eat dogs. Or eat them if then need the meat to survive. Some of the American Indian tribes welcomed dog into their diet. And some current Asian countries as well.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
There are probably more places than you would care to know about that eat dogs. Or eat them if then need the meat to survive. Some of the American Indian tribes welcomed dog into their diet. And some current Asian countries as well.
yuck.
dogs eat anything they have no limit to what they can feed on. everything that a dog eats is transmitted to those who eat it including rabbies.
there are plenty of meat to go around. not one excuse to eat a dog.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 04-28-2014 at 07:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
TheDumbOne (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Well, down the road from us, there's a shopping center with a veterinarian next to a Chinese restaurant. We don't eat there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Nacia (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 115

Because some people eat dog meat in Georgia, there should be a blanket condemnation of the entire Georgia population?
From My Perspective (FMP), it's more complex than just that. I dealt with the Coca Cola company on an advertising idea I had back in 1990. They tried to rip me off. Last time I visited Atlanta.

Georgia people eating dog meat is just one practice that seems counter-intuitive to the theme of America. The recent gun law seems a major step in reverse.

I take it, by your question, that this practice still goes on?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 115

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Well, down the road from us, there's a shopping center with a veterinarian next to a Chinese restaurant. We don't eat there.
Unbelievable.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

yuck.
dogs eat anything they have no limit to what they can feed on. everything that a dog eat is transmitted to those who eat including rabbits.
there are plenty of meat to go around. not one excuse to eat a dog.
Perhaps there is plenty of meat to go around - where you live. Or where I live. But that is not the case for everyone. Not everyone is blessed with three hots and a cot.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by TheDumbOne View Post
You're good at making up statistics. Why don't you do the "quick head math" and get back to us.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

Originally Posted by TheDumbOne View Post
Georgia people eating dog meat is just one practice that seems counter-intuitive to the theme of America. The recent gun law seems a major step in reverse.

How would eating dog meat (or anything) in a crisis be counter intuitive to the theme of America (whatever that is) I have a few in laws, and relations of inlaws that raised horses and ate the "scrubs". That would be counter-intuitive to the spirit of America?

And why would Georgia relaxing restrictions on concealed carry be counter-intuitive to the theme of America?

New Georgia Law - allowing CCW in churches - Ohio allows that.

New Georgia Law - allowing CCW in establishments that serve liquor - Ohio has allowed that for several years - there has been no uptick of "wild west" scenarios that have arisen from that.

New Georgia law - allowing CCW holders (Teachers? Admin?) to carry at schools if the schools protocol allows it? - Georgia is catching up to quite a few states in that regard, post Sandy Hook.

Its my understanding that the state that you reside in (Indiana) is pretty "relaxed" on firearms laws. A lot of this new "earth shattering" set of laws in Georgia is already in place in a lot of the other states - so Georgia is perhaps just catching up to the them of 'Murrica.

Last edited by Mohican; 04-28-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

Perhaps there is plenty of meat to go around - where you live. Or where I live. But that is not the case for everyone. Not everyone is blessed with three hots and a cot.
well they should get out more. if they can afford to have a dog they can afford to have something else like everyone else.
by the time they finished eating dog then what?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

Originally Posted by Mohican
well they should get out more.
before I respond to this, was that a serious reply?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Possum makes good eatin' and so does 'coon. But you can't hunt without your dogs -- so why in tarnation would you eat 'em? Don't hardly make sense.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

before I respond to this, was that a serious reply?
yes.
did you expect me to applaud the fact they ate dogs?
I cant afford to eat meat on a daily basis I would not want meat on my diet twenty four seven either. but one thing I wont do is eat that.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 04-28-2014 at 07:33 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

This is true. When I lived in Africa people kept dogs as an insurance against famine, as well as a family pet. Why is it so heinous to eat a dog, or a horse? Meat is meat, after all. And anyway, we don't know the half of what goes into supermarket food. You could be eating anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-28-2014), Mohican (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

well they should get out more. if they can afford to have a dog they can afford to have something else like everyone else.

How does someone living at a sustenance level get out more? And perhaps these people are forbidden to leave even if they had the means and the gumption to do so?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
This is true. When I lived in Africa people kept dogs as an insurance against famine, as well as a family pet. Why is it so heinous to eat a dog, or a horse? Meat is meat, after all. And anyway, we don't know the half of what goes into supermarket food. You could be eating anything.
why not keep something less big and costy?
why keep a dog?
it makes no sense. it is awful.
If you cannot figure out why dogs should not be consumed by humans then I cannot explain either.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 115

How would eating dog meat (or anything) in a crisis be counter intuitive to the theme of America (whatever that is) I have a few in laws, and relations of inlaws that raised horses and ate the "scrubs". That would be counter-intuitive to the spirit of America?

And why would Georgia relaxing restrictions on concealed carry be counter-intuitive to the theme of America?

New Georgia Law - allowing CCW in churches - Ohio allows that.

New Georgia Law - allowing CCW in establishments that serve liquor - Ohio has allowed that for several years - there has been no uptick of "wild west" scenarios that have arisen from that.

New Georgia law - allowing CCW holders (Teachers? Admin?) to carry at schools if the schools protocol allows it? - Georgia is catching up to quite a few states in that regard, post Sandy Hook.

Its my understanding that the state that you reside in (Indiana) is pretty "relaxed" on firearms laws. A lot of this new "earth shattering" set of laws in Georgia is already in place in a lot of the other states - so Georgia is perhaps just catching up to the them of 'Murrica.

I didn't say they were the only gun advocates in the states. Of course I'm exaggerating the scope, but, from the newscast, it looks like even felons can have them, depending on their crime. In Georgia, the cops can't stop someone even to see if they have a license to carry. Is it the same as that in Ohio? Not here in Indiana.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

How does someone living at a sustenance level get out more? And perhaps these people are forbidden to leave even if they had the means and the gumption to do so?
if you can keep a dog to feed on you can keep something else.
I don't get it.
a dog needs feeding. it is a hefty animal and eats a fair amount of food to raise.
there are cheaper and more effective options to raise to feed on then a dog.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 115

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Human: The other white meat.

What if the climate changes do, in fact, have a negative effect on livestock production? Do we start heading down the road of Soylent Green?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

While I personally wouldn't eat dog (or cat) every culture is different.

Here in the UK we don't knowingly eat horse, in France it's common.

Guinea pig is a delicacy in some places.

It is not our place to say what a person or culture can or can't eat. It should however be farmed properly, not just dragged off the street.

Some cultures would have a real issue with the fact we eat pork. Each to their own.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

As candy says, every culture is different. In some places, you'd be considered an unclean heathen hour eating pork. In others, eating beef is a no-no. I'm sure most of us would turn our noses up at a rat stew... Unless we were really hungry.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Why take the question seriously? It's just a stupid potshot. People in Georgia aren't any more likely to eat dog than any place else where it's not accepted.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
donnaf (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 894

no.there should be an international blanket condemnation towards eating dogs.
it should be made a law. no dog eating. full stop. don't want be contracting rabbies and other abominable diseases a dog may carry which may affect the entire global population. I think that is fair.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 115

I saw this documentary once that showed these "sophisticated" people sitting around a table with a small hole in the center. Through the hole a live monkey's head was protruded, then the top was lopped off with a scimitar. The people ate the monkey's brain with spoons like it was ice cream.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

There are plenty of dogs and lots of hungry people. Any meat eater who condemns it is a hypocrite.

Where there is room for criticism -- just the same for any animal -- is in their mistreatment. It's doubtful that the countries who breed dogs for food treat them in what we would consider a humane manner but can we say that there are no instances of malpractice in the slaughterhouses closer to home?

I remember being horrified by footage uncovered showing the treatment of pigs (which are just as intelligent as dogs) in a slighter house here in the uk. Sone of the workers were no less than psychotic in my eyes.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

The problem is not Georgia or dogs; it's that we respond to idiots, me included. How many cultures, especially Asian, and in earlier times, American Indian tribes kept dogs for famine periods. For the squeamish, find out how the (culturally acceptable) meat gets to your supermarket in such neat cuts and packaging. The solution for WB is to stop responding to posts from uninformed dunces. I'll go first.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 115

So all, save for perhaps one person, I have on my ignore list would have to put themselves on their own ignore list to not respond to the uninformed/misinformed/misconstructed/misconstrued dunces. Those are the ones who seem to have problems telling a period from a question mark.

Otherwise, staying on topic really isn't that tough. The only way to ensure your meat hasn't been monkeyed with (pun off my last post intended) is to raise and butcher DIY. Some have trouble eating deer meat, but that's much less offensive than eating dog.

Tastes like chicken!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDumbOne For This Useful Post:
Nacia (04-28-2014)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table