WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 06-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

I am taking some online EMS CE (continuing education) - and many of the courses have attending videos. In the videos (and some of the slides) they often have the EMTs/Paramedics doing investigatory sleuthing. Kid has a seizure? One of the EMTs looks at patients room and finds a bag of crystal looking thingies. Is the house clean? (you might be surprised at how many medical providers, firefighters, cops, etc view a cluttered house as abuse - I've know cops that upon seeing clothes stacked in on a couch and not put away have called children's services.) And so on.

Last fall, prior to my wife having surgery they asked us both questions about her home environment prior to her surgery. Did we drink to excess, did we take drugs. Do we abuse each other or our children? Do we have any guns? and on and on.

I told them that they were being too intrusive, and the nurse questioning us agreed, but said it's often required.

I have a obligation as an EMT to report child and elder abuse - and I consider it as much a moral obligation as a legal obligation, so I get part of this.

But I am also disconcerted at the increasing scope and purview that big brother wants in our lives.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 999

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I am taking some online EMS CE (continuing education) - and many of the courses have attending videos. In the videos (and some of the slides) they often have the EMTs/Paramedics doing investigatory sleuthing. Kid has a seizure? One of the EMTs looks at patients room and finds a bag of crystal looking thingies. Is the house clean? (you might be surprised at how many medical providers, firefighters, cops, etc view a cluttered house as abuse - I've know cops that upon seeing clothes stacked in on a couch and not put away have called children's services.) And so on.

Last fall, prior to my wife having surgery they asked us both questions about her home environment prior to her surgery. Did we drink to excess, did we take drugs. Do we abuse each other or our children? Do we have any guns? and on and on.

I told them that they were being too intrusive, and the nurse questioning us agreed, but said it's often required.

I have a obligation as an EMT to report child and elder abuse - and I consider it as much a moral obligation as a legal obligation, so I get part of this.

But I am also disconcerted at the increasing scope and purview that big brother wants in our lives.

They have to make the protocol lists as simple as possible to accommodate the dumbest of us. I wouldnít read too much in to it. The rules are probably not for you anyway.

Yeah, there will be people who take advantage (for some gain) of the legal aspects of the rules, but thereís always a correction.

I run into people who are very concerned about America becoming a communist, collective, globalist, autocracy, but mostly they are just afraid of losing control. And not really a justified concern, but a naive concern in accordance with their level of intelligence. Or, they are a mouthpiece for some political agenda. The talking head dipshits, (frequently) sociopathic, ambitious, self-seeking, driven movers (up the social-economic scale), completely callous to the harm they are causing in their rise up the ladder.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Having EMS become intrusive snoops is not a part of our protocol, whether on a state or local level.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 999

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Having EMS become intrusive snoops is not a part of our protocol, whether on a state or local level.

Heh, it is now😀

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table