WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Short Story Publishing

Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491
Default Short Story Publishing

I've got a horror short polished and very close to done. It's about 2,500 words. The only problem is I don't know where to go from here. What is the best thing to do? Should I submit to an online speculative fiction magazine or find an agent who deals in short stories?

If any of you grizzly veterans of experience can help, you shall be rewarded with many thanks and plenty of admiration.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Honestly, I say release it on your own. But that's just my own thoughts. Obviously. Lol!

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

I could perhaps scrape together a few shorts and self publish an anthology of them. This would be new territory for me also.

Ahhh! Is there an end to the madness!? Don't worry about answering that question, I have a strong feeling it is no.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I could perhaps scrape together a few shorts and self publish an anthology of them.
Why? Throw a good one up onto Kindle for 99 cents. Make sure the presentation is good, promote it . . . you know, all that.

Of course there will be differences of opinion. *hums, waits for them*

Twisty mind candy:

The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Bagit,

Agents don't represent short stories; it's simply not worth their time. You need to research magazines and anthologies to decide who to submit it to. I usually go with anthologies because they pay more, but you have to find an anthology with a theme that suits your story. I suggest you try http://www.ralan.com It's categorized by pay level.

There's also a section with articles about writing, publishing and promoting that can really help a beginning writer.

An anthology of one author's stories is not likely to sell unless the author is already well-known. But you can sell them now and most mags or anthos don't ask for more that first-pub rights, so you can put together an anthology later. Same thing with Kindle, sell it to a mag first, then promote it on Kindle as "First appeared in the January issue of..." Makes the potential reader more assured of quality writing, doesn't it?

Actually I'm going to take my advice myself, now that I've put it into words. I've got dozens of previously published stories that just sit on my hard drive because I haven't gotten around to organizing them.

Hope that helps,

JohnB

Last edited by writerjohnb; 04-30-2012 at 06:55 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to writerjohnb For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-30-2012), kennyc (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
jonparov (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

Try Duotrope.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Hey! I was just going to say that! Or Predators and Editors. They'll also give ratings and mention who to avoid and who's good. Although, not sure if they just do agents and publishers for novels only.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

I was thinking I may give Tor the first crack at it. Only problem here is a possible looong wait for a response.

What the hell, I say! Even Goliath was slayed by a tiny man and a few rocks. If I can just get my foot in the door, I'll have an avenue for a mighty offensive attack!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
I could perhaps scrape together a few shorts and self publish an anthology of them. This would be new territory for me also.

Ahhh! Is there an end to the madness!? Don't worry about answering that question, I have a strong feeling it is no.

Go for it. I don't think many agents handle short stories, you'd need to market it to appropriate markets (online of print) yourself.

After much shopping around a poetry anthology I went the Kindle self-published way.

I'm in a similar position because I prefer writing short stories (as opposed to novels), but the marketing is intense and very competitive and time-consuming, still I will pursue some of those high-end markets for publicity reasons.

-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyc For This Useful Post:
Bagit (05-02-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 PM
kindleheart (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
I've got a horror short polished and very close to done. It's about 2,500 words. The only problem is I don't know where to go from here. What is the best thing to do? Should I submit to an online speculative fiction magazine or find an agent who deals in short stories?

If any of you grizzly veterans of experience can help, you shall be rewarded with many thanks and plenty of admiration.
While it's not so common to see the major companies publishing short stories in collections, though it can happen, but most frequently they tend to be compilations from elsewhere, rather than some unique work that has never been seen before.

If you find you have enough shorts to comprise a book, you may wish to consider publishing them together as a collection. Research publishers interested in taking on a short story author, or look into alternatives in self-publishing to get your book out to readers.

As with periodicals, there are fiction websites willing to pay for content. Some may be subscription based, while others make the works available to all visitors. Be sure to study all potential websites before submitting.
The Following User Says Thank You to kindleheart For This Useful Post:
Bagit (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Lin

I agree with Devon. The amazon.com Shorts program is excellent. You make more on your 99cent short than authors do on 99cent books, by the way.

It's not a bad idea to google for anthologies, to get some credibility or whatever. But that can take months, doesn't pay anything. Having some shorts online for sale is a pretty good stone in your platform.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Bagit (07-21-2012)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing