WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Let’s talk about the N-word and other naughties.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

I hope you got the one with the little crank handle on it.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I get it -- cuz that would be like a kids guitar for someone who can't really play!

Oh, man, you've got a million of 'em!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:25 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

No, it's a full size limited edition Paisley autographed guitar. More of a conversation piece than an everyday instrument. Glen Campbell would die to get his hands on one those beauties.

I know you feel you need to explain all posts but you need to trust that the reader is smart enough to get them. Where's the progress?

Everyone knows I've got a million of them. I'm just tosssing you the easy ones so you can play along.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Glen Campbell would die to get his hands on one those beauties.
Too late -- he's already dead.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

We know. It was in all the papers.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:04 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
We know. It was in all the papers.
That's how I heard about it, all right.

As I was disembarking my train, a scruffy yet ambitious young man with suspenders and a peaked cap was yelling out, "Glen Campbell dead! Read all about it!!!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:33 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41

Brian, I am very sympathetic to you.

Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn was a wonderful novel, and it deplores and he deplored racism, and that novel of course refers to "Nigger Jim."

People who examine literature today are MENTAL MUNCHKINS.

People do not understand that a document, or work of literature, does not necessarily endorse everything contained in that document. The manuscript may contain ideas or words in order to deplore them.

For example, a protagonist in a novel might be a bigot. That does not mean that the author is a bigot. Rather, the author
might be using the protagonist to show how stupid bigotry is.

The book of Exodus discussed the enslavement of the Jews in Egypt. That does not mean that the book of Exodus endorses slavery.

I swear: Idiots and morons and totalitarian thinkers have invaded the academy, and more importantly much of government too, and our society is being debased and destroyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoggedDavid For This Useful Post:
Mohican (02-11-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:45 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
If there’s something else you see or know about the “subject matter” (boxing perhaps?) then please enlighten us.

If there is something that he’s missing, and you were really interested in being “honest,” you would have said what it is instead of beating around the bush and saying he’s out of his league – which is just a cheap shot..

Actually Gaines did send me a very detailed crit in a PM. Not sure why he PM’d it, but that’s fine.

He brought up some very valid points. Some of them were suppositions based on what he thought the story was “really” about and may not apply, but again, other points stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
Brian, I am very sympathetic to you.

Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn was a wonderful novel, and it deplores and he deplored racism, and that novel of course refers to "Nigger Jim."

People who examine literature today are MENTAL MUNCHKINS.

People do not understand that a document, or work of literature, does not necessarily endorse everything contained in that document. The manuscript may contain ideas or words in order to deplore them.

For example, a protagonist in a novel might be a bigot. That does not mean that the author is a bigot. Rather, the author

might be using the protagonist to show how stupid bigotry is.

The book of Exodus discussed the enslavement of the Jews in Egypt. That does not mean that the book of Exodus endorses slavery.

I swear: Idiots and morons and totalitarian thinkers have invaded the academy, and more importantly much of government too, and our society is being debased and destroyed.

There’s also a website with a list of all the famous novels that contain the word nigger, and actually, the number of occurrences in each. It’s interesting.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Actually Gaines did send me a very detailed crit in a PM. Not sure why he PM’d it, but that’s fine.

He brought up some very valid points. Some of them were suppositions based on what he thought the story was “really” about and may not apply, but again, other points stuck.

Good for him!

I guess I made an assumption based on another one of his so called "honest" critiques -- which was really just another one of his lame insults...

Last edited by Myers; 01-31-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 452

Don't let it get to you, Myers. It's just an internet forum. And who knows? You could be trading insults with a six year old girl who cries her eyes out every time you're mean to her. Don't make her cry her eyes out.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:00 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Don't let it get to you, Myers. It's just an internet forum. And who knows? You could be trading insults with a six year old girl who cries her eyes out every time you're mean to her. Don't make her cry her eyes out.

Actually, in the PM, Gaines said she was an 11 year old girl, and Myers DID make her cry a bit. But, she’s tough, so only for a minute.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I'm kind of skeptical -- no 11 year old can tell jokes that are that stale.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:03 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

Her dad tells her those jokes. She just repeats them.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Or she found a stack of old VCR tapes of Johnny Carson from the '70's -- mostly the Don Rickles episodes.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Or she found a stack of old VCR tapes of Johnny Carson from the '70's -- mostly the Don Rickles episodes.
You are hands down the funniest thing on this forum. You make me laugh every time you post. You are the Writers Beat Rosetta stone of comedy.

I hate to have to admit this but I laugh hysterically at everything you write and I mean everything.

Last edited by Gaines; 01-31-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Old 01-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Ouch. That's a double whammy.

And I appreciate how you come back and refine these posts of yours -- it's worth the effort.

Good job!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

What a knee slapper!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 719

Here’s the first part of the piece:

Jesus Take the Wheel

Mickey opened a can of tuna and poured it into the bowl. He spooned a couple big bites into his mouth, and set the rest on the floor. “Come, kitty. Come,” he said. The black beast came, slipping up around the pantry from an empty box below the shoe caddy. “There’s a good boy,” said Mickey. “There’s a bubby-baby-boo.”

His cell phone rang. “You gonna take the fight with the nigger?” said the voice. “It pays ten large, win or lose. There’s a lot of fellas can’t get that in a year. And the side money—“

“Jeezus, Callahan.”

“Look, I ain’t racist; you know that. So the fight—?”

“I might—“

“What you might! This is ten grand for two hours of your time. Win or lose.”

“I gotta get to the garage. I got work.”

“You’re fucking crazy if you don’t take the fight.”

“Yeah, we’ll see.” Mickey hung up the phone and watched Tyson eat the tuna for a minute. Things are simpler when you’re a cat; they just are.

objectionable? It's how some people talk.

The fact that you are asking about this shows that you are uneasy about it.

If you're writing this for yourself and perhaps friend it's not a bad little project - it seems like a 2018 take on noir.

And he is allowed to have the cat - for years I had a hound named Elvis....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 452

I had a friend named his dog, "Nigger." He'd stand on his porch calling for him.

He was a favorite in the neighborhood.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:41 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41

I have a vague recollection of having said this, so please pardon me if this is duplicative.

Brian, I think you should be given complete license to use the N word, but I am sure some people will be irate.

People, in a word, do not know how to interpret anything.

"Huckleberry Finn" uses the word nigger; Mark Twain was no racist, was quite progressive for his times, and "Nigger Jim" was portrayed favorably.

The Book of Exodus discusses the enslavement of the Hebrews. Is anyone dumb enough to think that the book of exodus celebrates slavery.

An author does not necessarily approve of everything and everyone in his books. Indeed, a person or idea or figure of speech might be in a book because the author wants to deride that person or idea of figure of speech.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

[QUOTE=DoggedDavid;

The Book of Exodus discusses the enslavement of the Hebrews. Is anyone dumb enough to think that the book of exodus celebrates slavery.

Is anyone dumb enough to find the word nigger offensive regardless of how it is used?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,375

[QUOTE=Gaines

Is anyone dumb enough to find the word nigger offensive regardless of how it is used?

[/QUOTE]

There is so much dry fuckin' Zen (as I choose to perceive Zen) in that statement I am gonna hit myself on the back with that goddamn stick.
Mohican (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM
ericjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via ICQ to ericjohn Send a message via Yahoo to ericjohn

I don't know if you or anyone else remebers my "Grocer and Writer" stories that I had started back in 2014. There was a villain, a deli cook, in there whom was indeed based on several stereotypical, lower class black women I had observed throughout my life. She was introduced in the God Awful Job piece. A lot of people were offended by it. All I was trying to do was accurately portray post modern American life, but in an unfiltered, statistically (not pollitically) correct way, as I had observed it. The world just wasn't ready for it. No one seemed to have any issues with the white or assumed to be white villain, the assistant store director, though, who was almost as cruel and hateful. My advice is for you to figure out what demographic would want to read it most, then decide on whether or not to use the word in question. Be careful, though, because in some jurisdictions, one can catch a charge for using that word in question. There were indeed people who thoroughly enjoyed my "Grocer and Writer" stories, even in their original, unedited format, but others despised it for that and for other reasons. I now have most of the series up on my blog, but they are edited, to where you cannot tell immediately what race the deli cook is and I removed other controversial details which made it such a polarizing story in the past...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 68

Hey Ericjohn, I've seen you around
and no, I've not read your Grocer & Writer story, but I think I remember it from Legendfire.. way long ago, it does sound familiar.

Wanted to come back to this topic. And ask: Has anyone seen Steven Martin's The Jerk?

I won't ruin it, but Martin was born a poor black child and only once is the N- word used, and the movie is classic fantastic plastic -- ops sorry, rhymer's vomit
Old 02-18-2018, 05:46 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
There is so much dry fuckin' Zen (as I choose to perceive Zen) in that statement I am gonna hit myself on the back with that goddamn stick.
Somehow my name got stuck in that post. To clarify it I was not the one that made the original statement. Read back and see.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing