WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Agents/Publishers who accept short story collections?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:30 PM
RGolding (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Agents/Publishers who accept short story collections?

Hi guys. I've looked around on the internet for agents and publishers who accept short story collections. I've found a few, but not lists or anything. I have 10 relatively short stories (between 800 and 2,700 words) which all share a certain theme.

Does anyone know of any sites or lists of agents/publishers who will take collection queries? I've read online that it's a waste of time/almost impossible to get collections sold on their own (they say they work better as part of a two book deal or whatever), but I believe it can be done.

If anyone could point me towards some good contacts it would be much appreciated... thanks

My blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:12 PM
crochetlady99 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

It is true that many agents and publishers do not take short stories. I'm sure you've heard the hundreds of reasons why if you looked online, so i won't bore you to tears by telling you all of those reasons. However, I admire your determination. Like you said, it is almost impossible, but still possible.

It is a good sign that you have written 10 or so short stories, because that would make for a decent-sized book. Really, it all depends on the theme you are working at here. To my knowledge, horror tales do the best as short stories, as well as paranormal stories. I would not recommend writing romance or crime short stories, but hey, you just might make it work if that's what you wrote about. I have seen quite a few short story collections of horror tales.

It also depends on how closely related they are. Are they tales from the same region? Are they tales from a certain family group?

In a direct answer to your question, there is a site called Agent Query.com that has lots of literary agents. when you get onto the site, just use their search engine filter by searching the fiction genre list for "short stories". There are about 90 or so on there, but some of them may not accept your genre. If you send queries to all those agents and they all reject, maybe you should consider merging your stories into a novel or revising them more. My advice? Go ahead and try to publish it. What do you have to lose by sending a query in, anyway? Hope this helps!

Last edited by crochetlady99; 05-24-2014 at 07:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to crochetlady99 For This Useful Post:
RGolding (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 02:58 AM
RGolding (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Originally Posted by crochetlady99 View Post
It is true that many agents and publishers do not take short stories. I'm sure you've heard the hundreds of reasons why if you looked online, so i won't bore you to tears by telling you all of those reasons. However, I admire your determination. Like you said, it is almost impossible, but still possible.

It is a good sign that you have written 10 or so short stories, because that would make for a decent-sized book. Really, it all depends on the theme you are working at here. To my knowledge, horror tales do the best as short stories, as well as paranormal stories. I would not recommend writing romance or crime short stories, but hey, you just might make it work if that's what you wrote about. I have seen quite a few short story collections of horror tales.

It also depends on how closely related they are. Are they tales from the same region? Are they tales from a certain family group?

In a direct answer to your question, there is a site called Agent Query.com that has lots of literary agents. when you get onto the site, just use their search engine filter by searching the fiction genre list for "short stories". There are about 90 or so on there, but some of them may not accept your genre. If you send queries to all those agents and they all reject, maybe you should consider merging your stories into a novel or revising them more. My advice? Go ahead and try to publish it. What do you have to lose by sending a query in, anyway? Hope this helps!

Thanks, this is really useful. Yeah - nothing to lose. Anything is possible They are children's tales which follow the theme of the unusual/the bizarre/paranormal. Protagonists are ages 6-12, boys and girls.

My blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by crochetlady99 View Post
My advice? Go ahead and try to publish it. What do you have to lose by sending a query in, anyway? Hope this helps!
Save yourself a lot of time by ignoring the above. Unless you're a well known novelist, or you're famous, or both, agents won't touch shorts. Even if you are, they'll only do it as a favour, there's no money in it.

If you have a burning desire to see your shorts published, do it yourself. Nobody else will.
Rackham (06-16-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Freeditorial (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

We do
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Prod - maybe this thread is of use to you?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing