WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Movie , Three Billoards.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 AM
sdenyer (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 91
Default Movie , Three Billoards.

I disliked the film "Three Billboards," felt it was a twisted form of psychological manipulation and torture. The opening shot very appealing a woman driving down a country road looking at three very charming old billboards, one is sure she is thinking to respect their charterer now weathered artfully. Instead she pays 5000 a month to put up statements about her daughter raped and murdered and why is not the chief of police doing anything. In the span of time which is 7 months. People thrown out of windows, buildings blown up by gasoline bombs. Burnings. Black bags put over heads and then self inflicted gun wounds to the head. Cute suicide letters. Grand lectures on morality withholding complications of connections to issues. All this done with a flippant regard to violence in general.

Not good, the implications.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Thanks for the overview of what sounds like a shitty movie. Unfortunate that Woody Harrelson is in it, as it sounds like torture trash, but that's most of the Hollywood movies these days.

The other trash movie would be Jennifer Lawrence in "Red Sparrow" written by an ex CIA agent. Great way to make espionage sexy and popular for the new generation. My generation got Harriet The Spy, these kids get "Red Sparrow" operation "make murder sexy and patriotic" --

It's quiet obvious to see how these movies shape young minds with see-thru conditioning, in your face and all the time. And to think people pay money to feel bad. Most of these movies are not meant to make a person feel happy. Why create happy movies for a society that needs to be sad and inadequate, as the result of feeling less than means you need to spend more to feel better.

It's a marketing scheme as much as it is entertainment. Not great entertainment, and to each their own, if a consumer wishes to subject themselves to horror torture shock, that's their own deal.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

People I know who are fairly discerning have seen the movie and have said it's well worth watching.

Otherwise, I'm not really buying that movies have any kind of real or lasting impact on people -- unless they already have issues.

And the idea that any movie is made to intentionally make people feel bad is pretty far fetched -- to what logical end? And with most movies, it's often about resolving things for a feel good ending even when it stretches credibility. People want movies that make them feel good -- and that's generally how they're made.

I'm definitively going to see this -- sounds pretty intriguing, and I like Francis McDormand's work -- and Harrelson is a solid actor.

Last edited by Myers; 03-06-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60
Icon3

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
People I know who are fairly discerning have seen the movie and have said it's well worth watching.

Otherwise, I'm not really buying that movies have any kind of real or lasting impact on people -- unless they already have issues.

And the idea that any movie is made to intentionally make people feel bad is pretty far fetched -- to what logical end? And with most movies, it's often about resolving things for a feel good ending even when it stretches credibility. People want movies that make them feel good -- and that's generally how they're made.

I'm definitively going to see this -- sounds pretty intriguing, and I like Francis McDormand's work -- and Harrelson is a solid actor.

Okay. Well, let me tell you that you must not be watching some of the crap I've come across by strange happenstance. I will tell you there are a bunch of movies that are intended to make a person feel less than happy.

Take for instance, and only one instance shall I give you: Twentynine Palms

Go ahead and watch it, and when you come back, explain to me how watching a man anally rape another man is funny or happy and how it didn't effect you whatsoever --

Also, I don't know how you can explain how the horror genre is happy, but any way you try to weave in the rhetoric to support your claim will fall on deaf ears. There's no getting out of the fact that rape is supposed to make a normal well-adjusted person feel good -- it only makes those who like rape feel good -- but what are we arguing about and who are we defending?

Go watch 29 Palms
It's totally happy feely Best ending. ever.

Movies have impact on people and that's why they exist. Think about the Wizard of Oz and how it impacted society back when it came out. Think about how movies are ways to get books into the masses who don't read.
Movies do have an impact on people otherwise people wouldn't enjoy them as much as they do. Humans crave storytellers and it is in our DNA.

Gathering around a fire to tell about the hunt turned into:
Books
Music
Radio
TV
Movies

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-06-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Horror movies aren't made to be uplifting, obviously -- but in the end, most of them are about a sense of relief when it's over -- when the one person gets away from whatever or however it's resolved. It's an emotional roller coaster ride. You leave the theater alive and well. It didn't happen to you.

Of course, they're meant to be unsettling -- but in the end, most people can separate reality from fiction. They know they probably aren't going to be attacked by a guy with a chainsaw or possessed by a demon etc. Again -- reality versus fiction.

And of course, movies have a lasting cultural impact. I'm talking about how they impact an individual. I seriously doubt that a scary or a depressing movie is going to have any lasting negative impact on anyone who doesn't already have issues of some kind.

In the end, the idea is to make a profit on the film -- to do that you have to provide an overall positive experience -- however that is achieved. So no, most movies aren't made to intentionally make people feel bad in any significant or lasting way -- or people wouldn't want to watch them.

Otherwise, this really feels like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited by Myers; 03-06-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Oh, well, here..

To continue to support my claim, I'd like to point to the very real fact that movies affect peoples emotions, beliefs, and desires when a portion of moviegoers became depressed enough to commit suicide for whatever reasoning --

I think it had to do with guilt
but I was shocked when I found out people were killing themselves for a beautifully well made film. The guilt was the tree falling, of course the guilt of the tree falling was indeed, I believe perhaps a tremendous fear of speaking out and up about reality.
Who killed themselves because of this movie Avatar, I'd really be interested to know how many of the dead worked for the military

guesses guess, no facts were gathered, i call for a survey consensus. Anyone want to give me their phone number? I love calling people and asking the same questions over and over and over

Anyone hear of the American Customer Service Satisfaction Index?
I might have been the lady on the phone you hung up on or masturbated to back in 2005, oh, the good old days, asking people about the IRS what a fun job seeing grown men cry Check it out

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ues/index.html

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-06-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Seriously?

Sounds like an anomaly to me. I wonder how many millions of people saw the movie and weren't adversely affected in any way?

And did James Cameron set out to make a move that would make people depressed?

I kind of doubt it.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Not saying he did. Adverse effect of a beautiful movie is still an example that illustrates that movies and humans correlate to inflicting emotions and I'm being vague for the logic is without detail and universal, storytelling is not for robots and emotions in movies can cause humans to feel certain ways

Sorry you've been hiding I see you. Myers.
Toodles have fun with the rapture
you dancing devil you
Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Heh -- so now we're at "movies can cause humans to feel certain ways."

I guess we can agree on that...
Old 03-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Seriously -- I have to call bullshit on this notion that movies have any kind of significant impact on anyone who is otherwise mentally balanced.

And what's the alternative -- tailor content to anticipate some small percentage of viewers who are going to be negatively impacted?

That's beyond ridiculous.

Life can be harsh and depressing. A lot of movies reflect that. They cause us to examine our own lives and relationships. Even horror movies do that -- because the reality is, human beings can act in ways that are horrific and those movies present that in a way that people can process.

So yeah -- the whole movies make people feel bad and do bad things -- it may apply in rare cases, but beyond that, it's kind of lazy thinking.

Last edited by Myers; 03-06-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Heh -- so now we're at "movies can cause humans to feel certain ways."

I guess we can agree on that...

This was all I was saying, and I knew you'd agree because if you didn't I'd stay silent and think "Well, that's a universal you can't argue with" and I ain't arguing and never was.

Now for the rest of the subject, I could care less about how detailed you'd like to remain on the matter that movies can and do cause emotions and is the reason they exist and has nothing to do with a persons "instability" --

Dude. I live with a man who is just like you and it's funny.
And with so much more to say about the movie industry, I live you with silence.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
This was all I was saying, and I knew you'd agree because if you didn't I'd stay silent and think "Well, that's a universal you can't argue with" and I ain't arguing and never was.

Now for the rest of the subject, I could care less about how detailed you'd like to remain on the matter that movies can and do cause emotions and is the reason they exist and has nothing to do with a persons "instability" --

Dude. I live with a man who is just like you and it's funny.
And with so much more to say about the movie industry, I live you with silence.
Could there be anything more obvious than the fact movies cause emotions? Yes -- that is their raison d'etre.

The question is -- do movies have any kind of lasting or profound effect on people who otherwise aren't dealing with any kind of "instability?"

There's no evidence that they do -- despite that the question has been asked since the days of silent pictures -- and it ignores rather concrete examples that show movies reflect society and attitudes more than they influence it.

On the surface, it makes sense to think movies have some kind of profound negative impact on the culture and society or individual behavior -- but it doesn't really hold up very well under examination.

Otherwise, refer to post #10.

Last edited by Myers; 03-06-2018 at 09:06 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,002

Three Billboards does not seem like something I’d watch. Dunno, just looks slow and painful. Not saying anything about it’s merit as a film, just not for me.

I did start watching The Connected Universe thinking it would be a science show narrated by the illustrious Patrick Stewart, but no!

Instead, it was some bullshit starring this idiot named Nassim Hamagein. Fuck, was I disappointed. If you can’t tell this dude is a moron in the first ten minutes, something’s wrong. Fuck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60
Default Department of Death.. er.. Defense

Well. I'll just post this and skeedaddle, the short story is that of course DoD has a hand in the way artists and Hollywood would portray military. DoD tweet, they ain't gonna lie, DoD thinks making death look cool is a #cooljob:
It’s #Oscars90 Sunday and did you know the #DoD works with #Hollywood to ensure the #military is correctly portrayed in films? Find out how these partnerships work: https://t.co/LX3Q52SwQ6.
Be sure to follow our #Oscars coverage over on @DoDOutreach! #cooljobs #KnowYourMil pic.twitter.com/OKnDTiMFkV
— U.S. Dept of Defense (@DeptofDefense) March 5, 2018
Makes me want to write movies and make the truth really stick.
Military is one big giant PEN15 Kool-Aid Masquerade.

Here is the rest of the article for those who already are paid to keep up the lie. Cool job that killing:

DoD Blatantly Admits on Twitter It Works With Hollywood to Sell You War Propaganda

In a tweet about the Oscars, the Department of Defense quite literally bragged about working in Hollywood, to ensure that the military is only portrayed in a manner they see fit.
By
John Vibes -

March 6, 2018

This week, the Department of Defense sent out an interesting Tweet where they openly admitted that they control how the US government is portrayed in Hollywood films.
While this is a fact that has been documented for many years, it is still largely overlooked by mainstream media sources, who insist that this idea is nothing more than a conspiracy theory. In the post, it was plainly admitted that the agency “works with Hollywood to ensure the military is portrayed correctly in films.”
It’s #Oscars90 Sunday and did you know the #DoD works with #Hollywood to ensure the #military is correctly portrayed in films? Find out how these partnerships work: https://t.co/LX3Q52SwQ6.
Be sure to follow our #Oscars coverage over on @DoDOutreach! #cooljobs #KnowYourMil pic.twitter.com/OKnDTiMFkV
— U.S. Dept of Defense (@DeptofDefense) March 5, 2018
Every government in the world, throughout history, has required an all-encompassing propaganda campaign to keep its citizens in line, especially when it comes to war and the military, the most destructive applications of government. Places like North Korea or China are great modern examples of this type of censorship and propaganda taken to extremes.

Goebbels would be proud of you. It’s called propaganda.
— Mr. Liss, to you (@stephen_liss) March 5, 2018
The early Nazi propaganda films from World War II usually come to most people’s minds in discussions about propaganda but as technology and the study of human psychology have advanced, the rulers of governments everywhere have been able to refine the skill of creating a false reality for their subjects. Everyone likes to think that this type of thing only happens in some far away land or different time in history but this type of propaganda and media manipulation is alive and well today in America.
In the early 1950’s, when modern media and television were becoming a mainstream phenomenon, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had just been formed. It quickly became one of their primary goals to use this new technology to influence public opinion. The first known CIA propaganda campaign called “Operation Mockingbird” began around this time, and it has been revealed through declassified documents that the strategies developed in this operation are still in use today.
In the 1970s, Congressional investigations and hearings revealed government connections with journalists and media organizations. During the hearings, CIA representatives refused to answer the questions while on the public record and asked to go over the details during a closed session. Footage of those hearings can be seen below:

As mentioned earlier, this type of activity is still alive and well today, whether or not it is under the mockingbird label. In 2011, emails from Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, Philip J. Crowley, were made public, showing that the U.S. State Department was “planting” a number of “questions and concerns” with CBS News for a 60 minutes piece on WikiLeaks.
In recent years we have seen more military influence in large blockbuster movies since they are able to buy their way into the productions by offering up their tanks, vehicles, and weapons as props. The recent Transformers film was criticized by some as being a blatant advertisement for the US military, and it is on record that the Pentagon worked with the production team and gave them cheap access to their hardware. Also, judging from the way the film turned out it is highly likely that they were given some control of the script in return.

Phil Strub has been the entertainment liaison at the Department of Defense since 1989, and it is well known in the industry that it is extremely difficult to make a movie about the military without going through him and allowing him to edit the script.
For the recent, “Superman: Man of Steel” the writers were forced to go back to the drawing board after Strub determined that the script’s portrayal of the military was “cartoony,” he said in an interview. Strub bragged that Warner Bros. flew him out to L.A. to offer him a revised version of the script so he would sign off on the film.
Strub will automatically deny any films that portray the military or war in a negative light and most major studios play by the rules. However, there have been some famous blockbuster films that did not seek Strubs approval, most notably “Platoon” and “Apocalypse Now.”
Military influence in the media is not always this simple though, for example, major military contractors like Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin or Boeing are able to control the narrative of the mainstream media with their advertising dollars. If you take notice, arms manufacturers have tons of commercials all over the mainstream news, but no average citizen is allowed to purchase rocket launchers or aircraft carriers, even in the very rare case that they would be able to afford something like that.
This brings up the question: why do these military contractors spend so much money on television advertisements? The answer is so they can use those advertising dollars as leverage against the broadcaster, in order to control how wars are presented in the news. If a broadcaster is being paid millions of dollars per month by Boeing to run their commercials then they aren’t going to be able to say anything negative about the war, it’s that simple.
Next time you watch a Hollywood movie, remember that while the credits may say Warner Bros. or 20th Century Fox, the script has been approved by masters of propaganda in the CIA and US military to maintain their image—in turn, maintaining their control.

-----
cool job guys.
anyone wanna join?
Or better yet: anyone want out?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

For anyone who is paying attention -- it's a no-brainer that the Department of Defense provides hardware and facilities to film makers in exchange for a positive or at least not a negative portrayal.

But let's look at all the movies that have come out of Hollywood that portray the military in anything but a positive light. As you mentioned "Apocalypse Now." But also, just about any Vietnam movie -- or more recently "The Hurt Locker."

Or how about movies like "The Fourth of July" or "Coming Home" that didn't require any cooperation from the DOD?

Sorry -- put on your thinking cap. The notion that that military has any kind of control over the film industry outside of a limited kind military action movie doesn't add up -- that is if you actually bother to consider ALL the moves.

Another no-brainer -- authoritarian governments have and will use film as a form of propaganda. DUH.

And Hollywood certainly used film as government propaganda during WWII --- and during the Mccarthy era. But since then -- not so much.

Again, look at what's currently in theaters and tell me wich films exactly can you look at that indicate government or military involvement for the purposes of propaganda?

I can think of one off hand where DOD cooperation might have been beneficial -- but I'm straining to thing of other examples.

Overall, you're talking about a notion that doesn't line up with reality. Thousands of movies and TV programs come out of Hollywood each year -- and how many relate to the military or anything that can be remotely construed as government propaganda?

So in short -- examples please...

Last edited by Myers; 03-07-2018 at 12:13 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

For anyone who is paying attention -- it's a no-brainer that the Department of Defense provides hardware and facilities to film makers in exchange for a positive or at least not a negative portrayal.

But let's look at all the movies that have come out of Hollywood that portray the military in anything but a positive light. As you mentioned "Apocalypse Now." But also, just about any Vietnam movie -- or more recently "The Hurt Locker."

Or how about movies like "The Fourth of July" or "Coming Home" that didn't require any cooperation from the DOD?

Sorry -- put on your thinking cap. The notion that that military has any kind of control over the film industry outside of a limited kind military action movie doesn't add up -- that is if you actually bother to consider ALL the moves.

Another no-brainer -- authoritarian governments have and will use film as a form of propaganda. DUH.

And Hollywood certainly used film as government propaganda during WWII --- and during the Mccarthy era. But since then -- not so much.

Again, look at what's currently in theaters and tell me wich films exactly can you look at that indicate government or military involvement for the purposes of propaganda?

I can think of one off hand where DOD cooperation might have been beneficial -- but I'm straining to thing of other examples.

Overall, you're talking about a notion that doesn't line up with reality. Thousands of movies and TV programs come out of Hollywood each year -- and how many relate to the military or anything that can be remotely construed as government propaganda?

So in short -- examples please...

Your questions and response would go to the author of the article shared, copy, & pasted, but written by: John Vibes
Old 03-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

If you get around to providing actual examples and your very own thoughts on the matter -- I'm all ears.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

If you get around to providing actual examples and your very own thoughts on the matter -- I'm all ears.

When I finish the book I'm writing I will make sure to let you know.

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-17-2018 at 10:13 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Right -- so no current real-world examples that you can present with your own thoughts and words.

Seems like if what you were saying is so prevalent that would be a very easy thing to do...
Old 03-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

The first sign that someone is brainwashed is they think that everyone else is brainwashed.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

What Myers brings to the table is a classic example of prestige and allegiance to the Kool-Aid man.

Drink up Myers. Distractions distractions. Bury the comment with more comments. You are lodged quiet tightly in. That's okay, lets change the subject --

Tell me: do you believe Americans should hand over their rights to have guns?
Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

All I'm asking for is examples.

Again -- shouldn't be that hard.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post

Tell me: do you believe Americans should hand over their rights to have guns?
Ah, yes -- let's deflect -- shall we?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Look -- I can come with an example of a current movie with a pro-military message directed by someone with a track record of making pro-military movies.

Come on -- give it a shot!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

And I'm the one drinking the Kool-Aid.

Ha ha ha!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Ah, yes -- let's deflect -- shall we?
I know. It's like a joke, but not.

And this is like a chatroom, but it's not.

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-17-2018 at 10:13 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

So -- examples to back up your notions about current movies and government/military propaganda...

Nothing. Zip. Nada.

Okey Dokey!

Last edited by Myers; 03-07-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

When all else fails -- change the subject!

Yeeee Haaaw!
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Beesauce (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60
Icon10

When all else fails -- change the subject!

Yeeee Haaaw!
Okay. I know I used a tactic back on you. It's what I do to find the slave. And then I love them just like I love you Mr.Myers

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-17-2018 at 10:14 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Okay -- I'll probably get around to reading that sometime over the next few days or so.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe