Originally posted by Chloe:
When creating a character, I always fill out something like a questionnaire about them. That way, I have a fairly fleshed out character before I start writing. I often add things later on, but this is what I start with. Sometimes I read something where a character's actions don't match their personality, and I think this questionnaire helps keep me on track.
I thought that I would post it here, in case anyone else might find it a useful tool for creating believable characters.
I have also attached the MS Word template for it, for those of you who have MS Word or OpenOffice Writer. The password (if you wish to edit it) is 'writersbeat'.
1. What is your characterís full name?
2. When were they born?
3. What are their parentís names?
4. Do they have any brothers or sisters?
5. What kind of eyes do they have?
6. What kind of hair do they have?
7. What is their complexion like?
8. What body type are they?
9. What is listening to their voice like?
10. Do they have a favourite quote?
11. What sort of music do they enjoy?
12. Have they ever cheated on a partner?
13. Have they ever lost someone close to them?
14. What is their favourite sound?
15. What is their opinion on euthanasia?
16. Are they judgmental of others?
17. Have they ever been drunk?
18. What are they like when they stay up all night?
19. Have they ever been arrested?
20. What colour evokes strong memories for them?
21. What do they do on rainy days?
22. What religion are they?
23. What word do they overuse the most?
24. What do they wear to bed?
25. Do they have any tattoos or piercings?
26. What type of clothing are they most comfortable in?
27. What is their most disliked saying?
28. Do they have any enemies?
29. What does their writing look like?
30. What disgusts them?