WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Backing up your work

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10
Default Backing up your work

Having been in the software industry for some time, I am naturally paranoid about losing data due to failed hard drives, theft, fires, and natural disasters. I thought I would share my backup plan with you for those interested in how to best protect your works from being lost forever.

First, most of my writing occurs on my laptop. Every document that I care to keep is created with Microsoft Word 2010 and saved on Skydrive. Word works very well with Skydrive, though there are a few bugs. Therefore, if something happens to my laptop all of my documents are available. This also makes it easy to work on my documents from multiple computers, though I rarely do that. In addition, this is a good form of backup because it is outside of my house. The great thing about Skydrive/Word is that my backed up document is always up to date.

Still, I am a bit paranoid that something could happen to my account so I have other forms of backup. Every once in awhile I copy the latest version of a manuscript to one of my desktop machines that I use for photography. The hard drive that I copy the manuscript to is in turn backed up by a Windows Home Server in another room. Therefore, if my laptop dies I still have a local copy available on my desktop and if that machine dies I still have a copy on the Home Server.

Finally, the drive on my desktop is continuously backed up via a service called Crashplan. I subscribe to this service for my photography as I have tens of thousands of photos that I want to protect. Adding a few manuscripts is negligible. In the event of a catastrophe I know that my manuscripts and photos will be safe. In addition, my manuscripts are located on two online services so I am not dependant on one.

The Following User Says Thank You to kirispupis For This Useful Post:
K. Klein (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 AM
K. Klein (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 18

I'm rather paranoid about data loss as well, especially since I live in an area that's prone to natural disasters and wildfires.

I use Google Documents to back up my manuscripts, with copies stored on my flash drive, external hard drive, and regularly zipped up and emailed to a separate email account as well. Worst case, I'll lose a few pages in between backups, but that shouldn't be too big a deal.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 488

Computer hard drive failure, I'm sure, has caused much grief to writers. I just went through an episode of this. Luckily I was able to get back in to my 5/6 year old laptop and capture my stories. Yes, I did save all stories to a backup stick, but there was a couple I had just updated/revised and had not yet transferred them. The hard copies I printed would've ultimately saved me had I needed them.

There was a silver-lining to all this though. I now look at a 17" LP screen instead of 15", and write in microsoft word 2010! I also look at myself as a sort of warlock, if you will, because of defeating the evil electronic wizard!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Davisstories (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

Had a bad experience where, when I was on a long trip during creation of my fourth novel, my laptop fried the same week my thumb drive got lost. Now I back up in four places (yeah, excessive, but I won't let that happen again.) I now backup on three thumbs (One home, one stays in my pocket always, one with my wife) and once a week I send my self an email with the updated MS attached (remains stored on the yahoo server till the MS is released by the publisher). Probably a case of overkill, but I breathe easier.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
GmSaifi (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

As a fellow software-dude, I've learned that the rule is this:

Offsite backups.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Google drive is my new best friend. 5gb of storage, plus I have 4gb on dropbox and another 2gb on box.net.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Skydrive is much better with 7GB for new users, though I have 25GB because I signed up earlier. It also integrates very well with MS Word so it has a great offline story.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Alexa (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

The best way I guess is to store the info on the online storage basements, I mean file hosting services.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 AM
NigeTheHat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6

Dropbox ftw. Not used Skydrive, but given I'm nowhere near filling 2GB I'm unlikely to need 7 any time soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pirates, ambition, SCIENCE, magpies, people, prophetesses and snow. Also other things.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Dropbox for me. Plue a memory stick just to make sure.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

Originally Posted by K. Klein View Post
=
I use Google Documents to back up my manuscripts
I'd be wary of using Google Docs. From their terms of use:
Originally Posted by Google
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
Basically, by posting something to Google Docs you're giving them license to do whatever they want with it. Probably won't ever come up, but it's something to consider.

OT: Just about every hard-drive I own has my "Writing" folder backed up onto it, as well as copies periodically emailed to myself. It gets pretty confusing to manage the different versions though. I should probably get some automated system going.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 AM
zizban (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 15

I second Dropbox. I use it all the time.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I just email my story to my Kindle every few days. That places a backup in three places at once.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
zizban (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 15

I do that as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:41 AM
Jacobs (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

People tend not to appreciate backing up work until they lose it!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM
allswl (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have had a similar bad experience when i was at university. These days I back up my files and documents in the cloud and on an external harddrve. I do not save anything important on my computer. I use Amazon cloud.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:43 AM
ellegee (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default How many are enough.....

I also sweat over this (and am a fine art photographer, as well, with mammoth files that need to be preserved). I invest in portable drives as the first line, then periodic DVD burns of the latest content on the drive, then dvd backups onto the cloud.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Ohasa (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon14

You can never have enough back up. Last springmy nook somehow unregistered itself, deleting All my work on it. Luckily I had just backed up my work to my externals and my fiancée s laptop. I only lost a thousand words and some note so it was relatively fresh in my mind. Defiantly dodge a bullet. Now I add a thumb drive.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:42 PM
ToiChen (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Several times during each writing session, I backup to 2 thumb drives which travel with me any time I leave home. I also backup to Dropbox.

I've not heard of Skydrive, but I'm interested in checking it out to see how it interacts with my word processing software.

For several years I have used Atlantis Word Processor. I found two factors attractive: (1) the purchase price of $35 compared favorably with Word; and (2) Atlantis seems to have been written with writers in mind.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 AM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181

Best way I could think of was to save all my works as draft on my email account. Pretty foolproof unless your account gets hacked. I have no less than five, so I'd say things should be pretty fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM
ignatious (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

I save everything on dropbox. I actualy use it as the folder I work out of so I can't even accidentally forget to backup my work. Easy as pie
Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 AM
EmyJ (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Dropbox plus copy on Google Drive and one backup on my hard drive in case of traveling. But I'm so paranoid that access these drives only from my devices and change the pass every two weeks with checking all security on these drives.
I thought I was the one.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice