WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.


A Wheel Weights Lament

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default A Wheel Weights Lament


Oh, woe be me. Here I lay in the gutter, alone and unwanted in this world. Just yesterday I was an indespensible part of Billy Magillicuddy's souped up Hyundai. Zippin' around town. Down his block and up yours then KaPow! Billy butt slams a van that cut in front then stopped at a yellow. The impact made the driver drop her cellphone. Callitus Interruptus. Me, the shock tore me loose from my mooring.

Now gone the happy home I had on Billie's spinner clad chromed out custom rim. Laying near the broken glass and plastic of headlights (Billies) and taillights (SUVs) I watched, helpless, as my station in life was cabled onto a flatbead and trundled off to whereabouts unknown.

This last not before the wrecker driver broomed the busted bits to roadside and, espying my vagrant carcass, toed me a kick to the curb.

Oh woe is I. Oh woe.

__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (04-26-2011)
  #2  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Redlorry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You write about such off the wall subjects and you always bring them to life. Not knowing the in's and out's of cars as a) a non-driver and b) a woman - (yeah go on, call me sexist to my own kind ) I wasn't entirely sure what this forlorn little part was, but I did feel very sorry for him.

I think red Feraris are pretty and I'd like to driven about in a metalic green Mustang...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
You write about such off the wall subjects and you always bring them to life. Not knowing the in's and out's of cars as a) a non-driver and b) a woman - (yeah go on, call me sexist to my own kind ) I wasn't entirely sure what this forlorn little part was, but I did feel very sorry for him.

I think red Feraris are pretty and I'd like to driven about in a metalic green Mustang...
Have a look at a cars wheel. See that bit of metal affixed to the rim outer edge just before the tire? Kinda curved. Inch or less in length. Some are squares glued to the wheel.
That's a wheel weight.

Been in 'Tangs. Never a Ferrari. Did tool about during my teen years in a Lamborghini Muira. That's one in current avatar.

Glad you found sad in this little tale of life alongside the road.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 04-19-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 AM
AnyaKimlun's Avatar
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North East Scotland
Posts: 6,943
Thanks: 2,739
Thanks 1,456
Default

Your bird story led me here. I am still scratching my head but not in an entirely bad way. It has quite a poetic feel which I like. The humour in it is fun - I like curmudgeon wrote this type feel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by AnyaKimlun View Post
I like curmudgeon wrote this type feel.
Hiya, Anya

I am unsure if the quoted sentence construction is what you intended.

Betrothing Buzzard, woeful wheelweight-I don't know how I'm gonna follow those.

Ahh, inspiration-slow your pace a bit that I may sink both tooth and talon into your hindquarter.

Went to your site and bounced around your cover story. Polished.

I am curious about the quote. Seem to remember I wrote one titled 'Curmudgeons'.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
AnyaKimlun's Avatar
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North East Scotland
Posts: 6,943
Thanks: 2,739
Thanks 1,456
Default

I am now hoping I spelled it correctly There is a playwright called Alan Bennett wrote a series of monologues called Talking Heads. Also on BBC 2 in the UK a series called Grumpy Old Men where they have men of a certain age grumping about certain subjects in a humouros (sp??) fashion. Whilst not quite the same thing has a similar feel to it. Which I like
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnyaKimlun For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (04-25-2011)
  #7  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
RabbitInTheSuit (Offline)
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A Rock and a Pillow
Posts: 672
Thanks: 186
Thanks 120
Default

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
and b) a woman - (yeah go on, call me sexist to my own kind )
Redlorry's a woman? I never knew
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 AM
AnyaKimlun's Avatar
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North East Scotland
Posts: 6,943
Thanks: 2,739
Thanks 1,456
Default

ok I now get it totally no head scratching and entirely down to some sleep and reading title correctly lol Wheel WEIGHT and not Wheel WRIGHT make a big difference to the whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,784
Thanks: 1,614
Thanks 850
Default

I like this. I have driven past buckled wheel hubs on the roadside before, and always felt they looked sad and bereft. Caught myself idly wondering where the rest of the car is speeding on to, when part of its anatomy lies in the gutter. Like the subject and your style.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by AnyaKimlun View Post
ok I now get it totally no head scratching and entirely down to some sleep and reading title correctly lol Wheel WEIGHT and not Wheel WRIGHT make a big difference to the whole thing.
Now this is funny.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (04-26-2011)
  #11  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I like this. I have driven past buckled wheel hubs on the roadside before, and always felt they looked sad and bereft. Caught myself idly wondering where the rest of the car is speeding on to, when part of its anatomy lies in the gutter. Like the subject and your style.
Hey, thanks.

"buckled wheel"
I'm guessin' y'all ain't in America.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM
AnyaKimlun's Avatar
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North East Scotland
Posts: 6,943
Thanks: 2,739
Thanks 1,456
Default

makes big difference when you are not imagining some bloke who used to make cartwheels lamenting the introduction of the cars - do not ask me how my brain came to it
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,784
Thanks: 1,614
Thanks 850
Default

If your brain's making those sort of connections at THIS time of day, you've surely had your Weetabix this morning! This 'buckled wheel hub' is on the South coast of England. Car talk just doesn't sound slick or hip here - particularly from me!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by AnyaKimlun View Post
makes big difference when you are not imagining some bloke who used to make cartwheels lamenting the introduction of the cars - do not ask me how my brain came to it
Once read a caution regarding composition: Be as clear as you can for if something can be misunderstood it will be.

I don't always write with that axiom in mind. Somewhat stifling. How could one be original? How could one be informative of the previously, for a reader, unknown?

And the various interpretations of my work- gold.

Anya, thanks for lightening for a moment the circumstance of life.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 04-26-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Thanks: 1,919
Thanks 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Oh, woe be me. Here I lay in the gutter, alone and unwanted in this world. Just yesterday I was an indespensible part of Billy Magillicuddy's souped up Hyundai. Zippin' around town. Down his block and up yours then KaPow! Billy butt slams a van that cut in front then stopped at a yellow. The impact made the driver drop her cellphone. Callitus Interruptus. Me, the shock tore me loose from my mooring.

Now gone the happy home I had on Billie's spinner clad chromed out custom rim. Laying near the broken glass and plastic of headlights (Billies) and taillights (SUVs) I watched, helpless, as my station in life was cabled onto a flatbed and trundled off to whereabouts unknown.

This last not before the wrecker driver broomed the busted bits to roadside and, espying my vagrant carcass, toed me a kick to the curb.

Oh woe is I. Oh woe.



Why, Nick, this is quite touching in a whimsical sort of way.


Yeah, Pierce, don't let it be said I ain't got a baby butt softness somewhere on my literary carcass.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silly Lament? Ollzie Free Writing 0 03-14-2010 06:53 PM
Skier's Lament Acanro Seer Poetry 2 03-12-2010 09:56 PM
Prologue to Amanda's Lament Paramore_addict Fiction 1 01-27-2009 04:39 AM
Writers Lament Daniel B. Young Poetry 7 06-04-2007 08:01 PM
Sailor's Lament starrwriter Non-Fiction 6 08-07-2006 03:28 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:23 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.