WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

A Wheel Weights Lament

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,220
Default A Wheel Weights Lament

Oh, woe be me. Here I lay in the gutter, alone and unwanted in this world. Just yesterday I was an indespensible part of Billy Magillicuddy's souped up Hyundai. Zippin' around town. Down his block and up yours then KaPow! Billy butt slams a van that cut in front then stopped at a yellow. The impact made the driver drop her cellphone. Callitus Interruptus. Me, the shock tore me loose from my mooring.

Now gone the happy home I had on Billie's spinner clad chromed out custom rim. Laying near the broken glass and plastic of headlights (Billies) and taillights (SUVs) I watched, helpless, as my station in life was cabled onto a flatbead and trundled off to whereabouts unknown.

This last not before the wrecker driver broomed the busted bits to roadside and, espying my vagrant carcass, toed me a kick to the curb.

Oh woe is I. Oh woe.

AnyaKimlun (04-26-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Redlorry

You write about such off the wall subjects and you always bring them to life. Not knowing the in's and out's of cars as a) a non-driver and b) a woman - (yeah go on, call me sexist to my own kind ) I wasn't entirely sure what this forlorn little part was, but I did feel very sorry for him.

I think red Feraris are pretty and I'd like to driven about in a metalic green Mustang...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
You write about such off the wall subjects and you always bring them to life. Not knowing the in's and out's of cars as a) a non-driver and b) a woman - (yeah go on, call me sexist to my own kind ) I wasn't entirely sure what this forlorn little part was, but I did feel very sorry for him.

I think red Feraris are pretty and I'd like to driven about in a metalic green Mustang...
Have a look at a cars wheel. See that bit of metal affixed to the rim outer edge just before the tire? Kinda curved. Inch or less in length. Some are squares glued to the wheel.
That's a wheel weight.

Been in 'Tangs. Never a Ferrari. Did tool about during my teen years in a Lamborghini Muira. That's one in current avatar.

Glad you found sad in this little tale of life alongside the road.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 04-19-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Your bird story led me here. I am still scratching my head but not in an entirely bad way. It has quite a poetic feel which I like. The humour in it is fun - I like curmudgeon wrote this type feel.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

Originally Posted by AnyaKimlun View Post
I like curmudgeon wrote this type feel.
Hiya, Anya

I am unsure if the quoted sentence construction is what you intended.

Betrothing Buzzard, woeful wheelweight-I don't know how I'm gonna follow those.

Ahh, inspiration-slow your pace a bit that I may sink both tooth and talon into your hindquarter.

Went to your site and bounced around your cover story. Polished.

I am curious about the quote. Seem to remember I wrote one titled 'Curmudgeons'.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I am now hoping I spelled it correctly There is a playwright called Alan Bennett wrote a series of monologues called Talking Heads. Also on BBC 2 in the UK a series called Grumpy Old Men where they have men of a certain age grumping about certain subjects in a humouros (sp??) fashion. Whilst not quite the same thing has a similar feel to it. Which I like
The Following User Says Thank You to AnyaKimlun For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
RabbitInTheSuit (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 120

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
and b) a woman - (yeah go on, call me sexist to my own kind )
Redlorry's a woman? I never knew
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

ok I now get it totally no head scratching and entirely down to some sleep and reading title correctly lol Wheel WEIGHT and not Wheel WRIGHT make a big difference to the whole thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 850

I like this. I have driven past buckled wheel hubs on the roadside before, and always felt they looked sad and bereft. Caught myself idly wondering where the rest of the car is speeding on to, when part of its anatomy lies in the gutter. Like the subject and your style.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

ok I now get it totally no head scratching and entirely down to some sleep and reading title correctly lol Wheel WEIGHT and not Wheel WRIGHT make a big difference to the whole thing.
Now this is funny.
AnyaKimlun (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I like this. I have driven past buckled wheel hubs on the roadside before, and always felt they looked sad and bereft. Caught myself idly wondering where the rest of the car is speeding on to, when part of its anatomy lies in the gutter. Like the subject and your style.
Hey, thanks.

"buckled wheel"
I'm guessin' y'all ain't in America.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

makes big difference when you are not imagining some bloke who used to make cartwheels lamenting the introduction of the cars - do not ask me how my brain came to it
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 850

If your brain's making those sort of connections at THIS time of day, you've surely had your Weetabix this morning! This 'buckled wheel hub' is on the South coast of England. Car talk just doesn't sound slick or hip here - particularly from me!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

makes big difference when you are not imagining some bloke who used to make cartwheels lamenting the introduction of the cars - do not ask me how my brain came to it
Once read a caution regarding composition: Be as clear as you can for if something can be misunderstood it will be.

I don't always write with that axiom in mind. Somewhat stifling. How could one be original? How could one be informative of the previously, for a reader, unknown?

And the various interpretations of my work- gold.

Anya, thanks for lightening for a moment the circumstance of life.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 04-26-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Oh, woe be me. Here I lay in the gutter, alone and unwanted in this world. Just yesterday I was an indespensible part of Billy Magillicuddy's souped up Hyundai. Zippin' around town. Down his block and up yours then KaPow! Billy butt slams a van that cut in front then stopped at a yellow. The impact made the driver drop her cellphone. Callitus Interruptus. Me, the shock tore me loose from my mooring.

Now gone the happy home I had on Billie's spinner clad chromed out custom rim. Laying near the broken glass and plastic of headlights (Billies) and taillights (SUVs) I watched, helpless, as my station in life was cabled onto a flatbed and trundled off to whereabouts unknown.

This last not before the wrecker driver broomed the busted bits to roadside and, espying my vagrant carcass, toed me a kick to the curb.

Oh woe is I. Oh woe.

Why, Nick, this is quite touching in a whimsical sort of way.

Yeah, Pierce, don't let it be said I ain't got a baby butt softness somewhere on my literary carcass.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction