WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Know any lifelong novels or memoirs/autobiographies?

Old 05-06-2016, 01:33 PM
mcv1986 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Know any lifelong novels or memoirs/autobiographies?

I am planning a serial killer/mass war criminal novel that will follow an Asian-American woman's rise from a superior college student and end shortly after she becomes a national leader. It will be heavily focused on eugenics so think of the rise of Hitler with a different origin story.

Currently I have Mein Kampf on my reading list as well as the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and Memoirs of a Geisha. I would like to add another two books to the list that, like Memoirs, are fiction and cover a significant amount of years. Most of my stories cover several weeks at most. They also rely on place on 3rd POV as well. So this story will be very different from anything Iíve done before. Even more so sense it will not involve supernatural horror or sci-fi either.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 386

Wouldn't pretty much any memoir/autobiography be lifelong?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:32 AM
Binx B

Not necessarily. It's blurry sometimes, but one of the differences between a memoir and an autobiography is that a memoir often covers only one significant part of the writer's life.

Last edited by Binx B; 05-09-2016 at 07:47 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (05-09-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 AM
nomadreid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

I would put Memoirs of a Serial Killer by Daniel Brian on your reading list. I would also take Mein Kampf off. Hitler managed to get a huge following, but not by his book (which few people read at the time), which was poorly written.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice