WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Characters Change of Clothes

Old 06-29-2016, 02:15 PM
RG Christmas (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon1 Characters Change of Clothes

My book has many scenes that cover many different days. As new characters are introduced to the story, I provided a visual image of each character, their clothes, hair, eyes etc. As the story goes along, I have not described a new change of clothes to each of the characters.

The characters mental image should already be in the readers mind. Is it common to continue on with the story without providing them with a new change of clothes or is the clothing change necessary?

I get concerned I will be over describing the characters and possibly lose the readers interest. I do not want the story to turn into a Cher show where there is a new shirt or dress on every character at the turn of every new day. Just seems a little much and I am not sure the change of clothes provides merit to the story.

How do you handle these situations?

RGC

Old 06-29-2016, 02:46 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

most of my characters are military - in uniform - so not much help

however in one of my coming of age stories I do describe how a young girl - 16 - changed from her dowdy wardrobe (as described in the beginning of the story) to a much sexier appearance (as she appeared after the life changing event).

in my opinion once a character is clothed or described it is not necessary to paint a new image of that character unless something major changes.

i'll use myself as an example. When I roll out of bed I put on jeans a Tee and my combat (work) boots. It's what I wear most of the time.

if i'm going somewhere different than usual it's a button up shirt, clean jeans and my western boots.

my wife does about the same.

if you look at yourself I bet you'll find the same norms apply.

if your character is a "high maintenance" woman - you're on your own, dude.

Max Crash

Last edited by max crash; 06-29-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Old 06-30-2016, 05:27 PM
RG Christmas (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks Max. That is helpful. Fortunately, none of the characters are High Maintenance. One Character is Benjamin Franklin so most everyone has an image of what he looks like. Although, I described him initially, just to be sure. He does blend in at one point and I did describe him in something different. But all of the others, I have not provided any change of clothes. Not sure I need to, because like you said they are in their same style clothes every day.

You confirmed what I thought, but I am so inexperienced I had to ask.

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.
RGC

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice